Was Mopar was on to something in the late 70's (exhaust)

ChryslerCruiser

Reaction score
The link below is probably 90% entertainment, 70% advetisement, 30% useful
It talks about how headers, with large long collectors improve power when combined with a merge into a single system WAAAAYYYYY back behind the usual "Y" pipe location;

Ive never seen, but have heard about the Mopar exhaust system for the 360 in the late 70's which had dual mufflers, and merged to a single exhaust pipe right in front of the rear axle..

What do you think? would such an animal improve midrange torque with out any drawbacks?

https://www.motortrendondemand.com/detail/single-vs-dual-exhaust/123988/

Aspen500

Reaction score
The 360 E58 F and M body could be had with dual exhaust where the "Y" was over the rear axle. The left t-pipe goes up, then across to meet up with the right t-pipe and then to a single (larger pipe I believe) t-pipe with a resonator. No idea if it was standard on the E58 or optional.

I kind of modeled the exhaust on my car after that except, it's 2 1/2" all the way with dual 2 1/2" t-pipes out the back. It was tight and lots of work but I managed to make them clear the spring and fuel tank,,,,,,,,,,,,,,just. By "just", I mean 1/8" from the tank flange and 1/8" from the spring shackle.

Last pic is from the '79 parts catalog.

DSCF0004.JPG
DSCF0005.JPG
DSCF0006.JPG

DSC00465.JPG

Last edited:

ChryslerCruiser

Reaction score
Super Helpful Aspen. Thank You. I was trying to conjure how the "Y" pipe would be in front of the rear axle, but obviously it goes between the fuel tank and axle..
I'm debating headers vs manifolds, then I think the rest of the system will imitate what Mopar did, but with modern materials and techniques.

TonyVolare

Reaction score
lucky you guys, I had to use furnace cement and aluminum foil to plug up holes in my pipe!

check out my "custom" exhaust!

customexhaust.jpg

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
I made mine from aluminized straight pipe and mandrel bend U-pipes, from Summit. Hours upon hours of measure, cut, figure the angle, cut the U-bend, tack weld, move to the next part, lather, rinse repeat and then do complete welds, grind and dress the welds, paint the system (VHT paint).........I must have been under the car a thousand times. Slide under, test fit, slide out, tack weld, slide under, test fit..................Seems I was younger then. Don't think I could do it now, lol! Getting old SUCKS.

Camtron

Reaction score
Just because I recently saw this and this post made me remember it. This NOS max wedge exhaust was posted by a restoration shop I follow. I can’t image a single pipe max wedge car in my head, but someone could do it/have it done pretty easy.
Those guys are pretty straight forward with their numbers and results. If they say it’s a better position further back than up front from their testing, I wouldn’t doubt it at all.

F75E287D-92E5-43C4-82FC-A814DF417C86.jpeg

Back