What's your best guess? Economy

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I'd say the countries that are putting the screws to the other countries will do alright and the countries that are getting screwed...not so well. Which is what I think this is all REALLY about.

greymouser7

Reaction score
When the housing market bubble burst in 2005 the following spring NO ONE was spending money. I was considering buying a mint 1968 318 Dodge Charger. It was listed and sold for less than $3,000.00 .

I was considering selling some of my excess Mopar inventory this summer, but am under the impression that with the oil industry taking a beating with gasoline prices, that the people that work those jobs and the interrelated industries might pull the economy down some.

Is now the time to sell?

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
If you need to make some dough then sell.
But realistically....just look at the forums and epay, craigsfist, etc. Nobody is ready or willing to part with any real money....cause we don't have any. I've been watching the same pattern over and over.

The powers that be tell everyone the economy is rocking and everyone racks up their visa and their line of credit.....then they say the economy is going to shit and everyone locks the wallet....when in reality those same people have been making the same money all along. What difference does it make.
With the exception of a disaster it's business as usual as far as I can tell.

Regardless what anyone says we're screwed now and have been for years. Hell I've seen cars on here selling for dirt and they still don't sell.

This is wait and see as far as I go.
As far as selling your stuff....they ain't making it anymore and it's only gonna go up over the years.
Look at Volare grilles.......

greymouser7

Reaction score
It's not about money, ask Rich, I would rather have the parts. In two months I have to begin negotiating for orders.

My Navy rate (other branches say MOS military occupational specialty), only has two basic bases here in the south east (where only florida is south of us) and in the North West of the United States, Bangor Washington. (The 2 places the home port icbm sub's)

If I have to move, I lose several cars-rolling chassis's and have to dump hundreds of collected parts. I would lose so much that I could not replace (finding deals in the past makes some parts worth allot more now-not enough to get rich, but enough to get poor replacing)

Any prayers from the fmj club on my behalf would be wonderful. I just have to figure out when to sell, if I have to sell. Somethings could go now.

basic-we have a few open spots for the cherished golden boys...

Last edited:

Master M

Reaction score
Low energy prices can be a boost to an economy if they are sustained long enough. People have a general distrust of the economy and its leaders. Oil prices may only be down at the mid $40.00 range for a short time. This is part of the distrust of manipulated markets. Remember the 1972 oil shortage in the USA, sitting at the gas pumps and only being allowed 5 gallons at a time ? Now we have more oil than we know what to do with. I think the car and parts market will be similar to 2014. Interest rates may get raised some in 2015, only to give the Fed room to lower them if they need to stimulate. Not the best signs for an overall economic boom coming soon.

greymouser7

Reaction score
They'd just turf your ass?
They don't care about me. I am no one.

They had a detailer (guy that assigns orders to a specific rate) simply transfer guys back and forth across the two coasts just to power-trip on individuals that asked to stay where they were located.

It's become a business of the self defense industry. THEY DO NOT GIVE A SHIT ABOUT THEIR MEN. The Sailors, some care about other sailors, but usually, not in less there is some rank with those concerned. 16 years of service does not buy much grace or consideration.

For instance, on my old sub, the USS Wyoming (Trident submarines have TWO crews, which take turns in deployment), the opposite crew just got into negative lime light as this missile technician sailor (my rate) took videos of the female officers taking showers. Female officers have been on Trident subs since 2012. It's blowing up into a huge scandal. Okay, it's morally wrong, if the Navy wants to crucify this guy and anyone that kept his secret, okay. BUT!! MY former Captain, GOD rest his soul, was having intercourse with our female officers, and later on, after a confrontation with his wife, kills himself (he was going to get caught & kicked out). Does the Navy allow the press into that fiasco and tell the world how an Officer is bringing shame to our service branch? No.

They cut people and benefits as best as they can without getting into social trouble in the same manner that CEO's stole from company pensions in the late 80's thru late 2000's decades.

You don't ever hear about some O-7 losing benefits. Even E-7's+ have developed a protection for themselves and a camaraderie association that looks out for it's own.

The powers that be tell everyone the economy is rocking and everyone racks up their visa and their line of credit.....then they say the economy is going to shit and everyone locks the wallet....when in reality those same people have been making the same money all along. What difference does it make.
With the exception of a disaster it's business as usual as far as I can tell.

I know the politics sucks, but other than voting, I can't do any thing about the horrible leadership we have.

I was just wondering what you intelligent guys might guess if the market will pickup any in the summer.

greymouser7

Reaction score
Low energy prices can be a boost to an economy ...I think the car and parts market will be similar to 2014. Interest rates may get raised some in 2015, only to give the Fed room to lower them if they need to stimulate. Not the best signs for an overall economic boom coming soon.

Someone on FABO was quoting 10 high end news magazines that all asked the government to raise taxes on the price of gasoline while the price is still low. If that happens, this summer could really tank the market.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
In the great mindf**k that is life.
I have this perspective.
Gas is cheap.....I daily a flying brick with a 318....so I'm happy.
Beer hasn't gone up......so I'm happy.
I just paid my trailer site fees......so I'm happy.

I try not to predict or analyze.....I just roll with the punches.
Cause there's a lot of them.

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
In the great mindf**k that is life.
I have this perspective.
Gas is cheap.....I daily a flying brick with a 318....so I'm happy.
Beer hasn't gone up......so I'm happy.
I just paid my trailer site fees......so I'm happy.

I try not to predict or analyze.....I just roll with the punches.
Cause there's a lot of them.

well said.

slant6billy

Reaction score
I'm not the sharpest or shiniest tool in the box, but the economy is a two edge sword. Losers and winners. Gas prices down is a precursor to inflation. Politicians and corporate suits are playing games and it is so deep, it cannot change. The rich avoid paying their share of taxes and yet their is no growth of industry. Keeping the poor unmotivated to better themselves with free phones and citizenship in order to buy votes. Both sides of the isle are more concern keeping their appointed but in office, rather than make a difference. It is all for them and none for the people. When the goobers in Washington shut down the government 18 months ago, some of the bozos called it a success. A success at a failure? Sports players get in trouble when the throw the game, like the white sox scandal in field of dreams. I've said it before, society needs to STOP. Stop rewarding bad behavior. Stop chasing bullshit and wasting money doing it. The war on drugs is as wasteful as any war with no end. Benghazi happened, Oliver North happened, Reagan was out of his mind by 1982, no need to spin and invest money to actions in the past. I would not want to be 20 years old in today's world, with everyone in power so hell bent on "my way or the highway" The modern representative has no negotiation skill, no ability to compromise, no ability to resolve anything. They lack knowledge. Again, I am not that bright, but I expect elected folks to be a whole hell of a lot smarter than me. I am not at all impressed with the elected talent at any level. Sorry for my doom and gloom rant, but I'm tired of politicians pissing down my back after they take my wallet.

greymouser7

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys, I am not trying to depress you with the thought of politics & poor leadership, just asking what you think the car market/parts market might look like/go up or down.

I did whine about big Navy, but I felt the need to point out that there isn't any camaraderie - Rich and I are more loyal than 99% of sailors and we don't know each other more than 3 1/2 months-which is allot less than standing watch (or as soldiers say it, guard duty on post) 6-8 hours at a time for 3-6 months of deployment.

I agree with your not stressing over the gov Captain, or being severely disappointed in the leadership Billy-no arguments there.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Sadly, I know nothing in the SOTU address last night will happen. Tax breaks for the middle class sounded great, never going to happen. Also, taxing the rich and corporations who have found ways to avoid paying taxes will never happen. Professionals do what they do best. Carnival barkers, all of them. "Hurry, hurry, hurry, Step right up...."

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Sadly, I know nothing in the SOTU address last night will happen. Tax breaks for the middle class sounded great, never going to happen. Also, taxing the rich and corporations who have found ways to avoid paying taxes will never happen. Professionals do what they do best. Carnival barkers, all of them. "Hurry, hurry, hurry, Step right up...."

Yep......same old, same old......same deal up here.

Back