Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Pull just the part you need from pick-n-pull

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • give up and take it to a mechanic

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Justwondering

Reaction score
Would you get a new wiring harness (if possible) or a pull a used harness from pick & pull or pick only the portion of the wiring harness from pick and pull?

The rats have now twice eaten the green wire going to the multi-plug at the top driver side firewall box. I tried splicing a jumper, but it still fails. So I'm thinking its time to look further.

Last edited:

GregG48213

Reaction score
Before you go to the pick & pull (or boneyard), you should research the part to determine what years and models of trucks would be the same as an '02 Suburban. Taking it to a mechanic would be the best option if you can't determine if or why the part needs to be replaced.

Justwondering

Reaction score
i'll post a picture tomorrow. There is about 1 inch missing from a green wire and a nick in a yellow wire on a multi-plug that goes in a receiver/box on the firewall.

Pretty sure its the two wires the rats ate.

Worked the day before when the two wires were whole.

I've been checking it every day before I drive it cause I was not sure the mothballs were doing their job well enough.

JW

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Why not just replace the one damaged wire? No way i'd dish out for a new one only to have it happen to it too.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I voted to get the used OEM one. I don't think the truck, at its age, justifies a new one, especially considering the cost. Over and above that, any third party harness just may both not fit right, and may have both quality and reliability issues, with what is going on right now (=cheaply made Chinese stuff). If you have an OEM harness, especially if it is from the same type of vehicle, it will fit, and assuming that it is in good shape, will probably be at least as reliable as a third party harness, and you will have the entire harness if other wires are needed in the future. The second choice for me would be to either replace the wires, or get a mechanic to replace the wires (not just repair them, but replace the wire from end to end. Just what I would do, and the reasoning behind it.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Chances of a new harness being available from GM are less than slim to none for a 20 year old vehicle. Even if it was, the price would make you faint, lol.

Example. We recently replaced the engine compartment harness on a 2018 Silverado at the shop. The harness was $1,900 and change, plus about 6 hours labor. Ouch.

Justwondering

Reaction score
I just checked the local pick-n-pull and they have 5 suburbans and other tahoes, silverados.
So I'm going to see about harvesting from an existing vehicle.
Course it was still 100 today, so sometime this next week when the high is in the upper 80's .. I great project for a day (assuming my tools/sockets/wrenches) all get organized and put in my truck.

JW

Justwondering

Reaction score
Its the left plug (green wire) that goes into the TDM1-160A1 module on the firewall.
The yellow wire has also been chewed.
JW

Justwondering

Reaction score
So the game is afoot.
Picknpull had 5 vehicles that looked promising. 2 had the harness already cut where I needed it, the other 3 were wrong plugs.

However, I believe I'm over thinking this problem.

I came back and spent about 30 minutes and figured out that my problem line has a plug end in the engine bay AND if you cut enough zip ties, twist around like a pretzel and use a flash light, you can find the other end in the cabin just above the brake pedal. It terminates with another plug.
Winner winner chicken dinner.

So, I'm going to get new crimp on ends and new wire and pull the short harness apart. Make two new lines, insert them in the plug ends and rerun this jewel.

Course, that's another trip to town so not happening until Monday.

Apparently, I should have done more investigating before I started this whine.

JW

Justwondering

Reaction score
and of course, nothing happened on the vehicle ...
water leak in the pump house.

Home Depot no longer carries squat in 1 inch pvc connections. I've been to 3 different plumping places and apparently the only plumbing needed now days is for 2 inch pipe or pex.
Local Independent hardware store carries half of what I need

sigh

so I'm traveling 34 miles round trip to sit and do laundry down at my parents old place. ..... freaking 6 loads of laundry -- cart it all out to the truck, cart it all into the house, six separate loads, six separate dryer loads, stack it back and cart it all back to the truck, drive it home and cart it all back to the house. yuck

and I still need to get parts to fix my water leak.

heavy sigh

Back