1980 Dodge Aspen rust free AZ car - $1950 (Hastings, Mn)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I'm not knocking slants.....daily drove one for 13 years in a '72 Satellite Custom.

I know what your saying Eric.
Once you've had an 8 under the hood for a while I can understand it would be hard to go back.
I just think slants are cool and I totally plan on doing mine up.
I know it won't be an 8 but if I can get her to kick a little butt that's good for me.
I plan on getting something else to monstify later. I want to keep the Caravelle "generally" close to stock.

Erics5th

Reaction score
I used to hang with guys in Oregon that made slants run faster than V8's! Good group of guys... most belong to the Killer Bee's drag racing club. All slants!

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I used to hang with guys in Oregon that made slants run faster than V8's! Good group of guys... most belong to the Killer Bee's drag racing club. All slants!

Sweet.
I was pondering the idea of bracket racing the Caravelle when she's ready.

77kickinaspen

Reaction score
i have a early a and a fbody the f has way less rust then the 63 valiant the floor pans are almost missing in the valiant the aspen has tough floors pans all around i thought what rusted was the fenders that were recalled for thses f bodys

JeffB#2

Reaction score
30 minutes from me as the crow flies but I have no interest. Having too much fun with the wagon.

efriedrich

Reaction score
Sweet.
I was pondering the idea of bracket racing the Caravelle when she's ready.

You might want to look over at FABO, lots of information on how to build a potent slant. They cost a lot of money to be just so so in the performance department and thats in a light little A body.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
You might want to look over at FABO, lots of information on how to build a potent slant. They cost a lot of money to be just so so in the performance department and thats in a light little A body.

Thanks Friedrich,
I was checking out the killer bees on slantsix.org.
Not planning on going that crazy with it.
Just going Offy intake 4 barrel and some type of exhaust madness.
I know a guy who'll make headers for me.
Just want her to punch a little more.
Trust me I ain't expecting 11' s out of her.
It's all just for fun.
Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:

efriedrich

Reaction score
That would be bad ass if you were running 11's with the Caravelle. Thats my goal with the LeBaron, I just have to decide between 318 or 360, roller or non roller, magnum or LA, blower or turbo charge, ect. ect. lol

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
That would be bad ass if you were running 11's with the Caravelle. Thats my goal with the LeBaron, I just have to decide between 318 or 360, roller or non roller, magnum or LA, blower or turbo charge, ect. ect. lol

Yeah it would
I'd be pretty happy pulling 13' s with my slant to tell you the truth.
I'm making it up as I go.
Lots of people bug me to dump the slant and go big block.
I'm just curious to see what I can get her to do
(Without blowing tons of $)
If I do go 8 I'm thinking 360 for sure.
Always had a thing for 360' s.

Last edited:

Erics5th

Reaction score
Keep in mind though that the guys running below mid 14's with a slant are doing so in light A bodys.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Actually I don't care about breaking a record.
My Caravelle is too much of a pig to go up against a turbo'd A body.
I'm just gonna do my thing with the new intake a 4 barrel and headers and see what she does.

All good clean fun.
If I get a chance to race her...sweet.
If I don't, I'll still have a hell of a time with her on the street.

Last edited:

efriedrich

Reaction score
Actually I don't care about breaking a record.
My Caravelle is too much of a pig to go up against a turbo'd A body.
I'm just gonna do my thing with the new intake a 4 barrel and headers and see what she does.

All good clean fun.
If I get a chance to race her...sweet.
If I don't, I'll still have a hell of a time with her on the street.

From reading the threads on slants you can throw a lot of money at a slant with zero improvement. Most say it takes lots of head work and a big damn cam to make those things breath. I cant see putting 4-5k in an engine and only running 15's. You could do a rebuild on a 360 for a few grand and run 12's. Find yourself a good used LA 360 four barrel motor for a few hundred. Reuse everything you can and put some better pistons in it and a good cam and some cheap headers and there you have it. Did you take the drive train out of the dippy, a 318 can be made to rip just as well. Does the Caravelle have a 8.25 diff. Did you get the 904 from the dippy.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
From reading the threads on slants you can throw a lot of money at a slant with zero improvement. Most say it takes lots of head work and a big damn cam to make those things breath. I cant see putting 4-5k in an engine and only running 15's. You could do a rebuild on a 360 for a few grand and run 12's. Find yourself a good used LA 360 four barrel motor for a few hundred. Reuse everything you can and put some better pistons in it and a good cam and some cheap headers and there you have it. Did you take the drive train out of the dippy, a 318 can be made to rip just as well. Does the Caravelle have a 8.25 diff. Did you get the 904 from the dippy.

To answer most of the above. No.
Didn't grab the engine, tranny nothing. No time. Long story.
Nope.. Got a puny little 7.25 in the back and a 904.

I read an article on allpar written by the guy who designed the "Super Six"
His take was even an exhaust improvement would make a big diff. We're talking serious low buck.
I'm not really expecting to blow any real numbers.

Like I said, I'm just having fun with my little slant.
When/if the day comes around where I want to drop an 8 in her.
I'm going 360 for sure.

I do thank you for your input gents. :glasses9:

Last edited:

efriedrich

Reaction score
I will be doing this exact build in the near future, I'm curious to see the results.

efriedrich

Reaction score
I have got a couple new books to help me build up my small block M body mauler.lol

0o9.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back