1980 Volare Cop Car

Ash_Whole

Reaction score
had this gem since 1993. drag raced it wit the stock beat 360, ran 14.2. swapped in 390 gears and never went down the 1/4 again. pulled the motor, built the motor, 727. then sat till ~2002. started the cage and a family. car sat.

fast forward to spring this year. new tires and today EFI. the car has never run better. no longer tears from my eyes when standing behind it. the more i work on this thing the more i find i need to repair.

next is a 8.75 swap with Caltracs over the winter.

J5unZcr.jpg

9TVT6EA.jpg

KXrGso2.jpg

qOlZlDc.jpg

mGUGQtP.jpg

vCoYMCR.jpg

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
That is a good looking automobile. I'm also glad I'm not the only one in the bad paint club

LSM360

Reaction score
I love it! What a rarity. My '80 Aspen A38/E58 (which I often brag about lol) was such an impressive car! For a stock smog era car it was surprisingly fast, handled great (very nimble) and so fun!

7580395-sell002 (1).JPG

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
I love it! What a rarity. My '80 Aspen A38/E58 (which I often brag about lol) was such an impressive car! For a stock smog era car it was surprisingly fast, handled great (very nimble) and so fun!

View attachment 50754
I notice you have the battery Thermo Guard. Are those really worth what people ask for them on ebay? I thought about getting one because I like the vintage look

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
I got one years ago because I saw one Iin a junk yard and at one point they were standard here.. not worth it. I had to cut the top of the one I have a bit to clear newer batteries. They're a pain to get on and off unless the j hooks are clipped on.

They help keep the battery cool for HD applications back then and might help if you're in a hot climate but look at the millions of vehicles with underwood batteries over the decades that don't have anything around the battery.

My Ram has a blanket or shield around the battery, probably for the same reason to keep it cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.. don't know if it helps anything at all. I leave it cause it's always been there.

DCAspen

Reaction score
My old minivan 20 years ago had a wrap around shield on it and it was basically small bubble wrap with a plastic coating on the outside of it from the factory

LSM360

Reaction score
I notice you have the battery Thermo Guard. Are those really worth what people ask for them on ebay? I thought about getting one because I like the vintage look
I've seen crazy prices on them too. I like the look of them too and I think they do guard the battery from some heat but it's hard to pay what people are asking, even with their rarity now.

MoparDan

Reaction score
I got one years ago because I saw one Iin a junk yard and at one point they were standard here.. not worth it. I had to cut the top of the one I have a bit to clear newer batteries. They're a pain to get on and off unless the j hooks are clipped on.
That's why I gave up on them, more trouble then they're worth

LSM360

Reaction score
My experience has been different. I still have the one on my AHB and while it's not the easiest thing to take on and off it's not that big of a deal, and how often do I need to take it off anyway? Not very.

IMG_1904.jpeg

LSM360

Reaction score
Wish I could find the blue silicone hoses. I'm still running my factory ones but I'm afraid one day I'll need a new one. I never see those come up NOS.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Back