1980 Volare Cop Car

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
It looks pretty weathered both the rear seat stuff and instrument panel parts.
It would be interesting to see the car they came off of, can catch a bit of a glimpse of it it a couple shots.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Both my R-body and M-body had these covers. I had to put a board underneath the battery because newer batteries were shorter. Interestingly, the cover for the 1980 Gran Fury also contained the windshield washer fluid.
That's an much better location than over the coil

LSM360

Reaction score
Both my R-body and M-body had these covers. I had to put a board underneath the battery because newer batteries were shorter. Interestingly, the cover for the 1980 Gran Fury also contained the windshield washer fluid.
Yes B's and C's did this as well I believe.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Yes B's and C's did this as well I believe.
Stupid question, if I found a battery cover with a windshield washer fluid container off a B or C, would it fit in the battery area of an M body? Because I hate having the container over the coil

LSM360

Reaction score
I think you'd have room and the hold downs should be same place. I think you'd have easier time finding an M body one and then attaching a washer bottle to it or just moving washer bottle elsewhere. I don't have an issue with the placement of WB on M bodies myself. Never had an issue.

Screenshot 2023-03-14 201748.jpg

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
I guess the only problem would be how the battery is angled on our cars and then you'd be moving it over the steering pump. I've never had a problem with coil placement either. It's sealed anyway and the hood isn't so more water would get to it from what rain gets in there then the washer bottle.

PursuitSpecial

Reaction score
That is a good looking automobile. I'm also glad I'm not the only one in the bad paint club
Can I join the club too, my front fender and door skin were replaced in 1981 after my uncle sideswiped somebody driving in the city, and the crappy paint they used is falling off exposing the primer while the rest of the paint is fine. I don't know what kind of tan paint/primer mopar used in 1980, but while it may look rough after sitting outside for 43 years there's virtually no rust anywhere on the car. Also I see the OP is a member of the replacement bumper filler club too, probably the flimsiest part of the car.

IMG_20230910_152047052_HDR.jpg

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Can I join the club too, my front fender and door skin were replaced in 1981 after my uncle sideswiped somebody driving in the city, and the crappy paint they used is falling off exposing the primer while the rest of the paint is fine. I don't know what kind of tan paint/primer mopar used in 1980, but while it may look rough after sitting outside for 43 years there's virtually no rust anywhere on the car. Also I see the OP is a member of the replacement bumper filler club too, probably the flimsiest part of the car.

View attachment 50880
Dude, I'm still impressed you found a pile of bumper fillers on ebay

Duke5A

Reaction score

View attachment 50880

You sure that isn't a fiberglass fender? They made them as an OE replacement at one time for the F body cars and that paint looks like what it typically does on a fiberglass surface after years of flexing.

PursuitSpecial

Reaction score
You sure that isn't a fiberglass fender? They made them as an OE replacement at one time for the F body cars and that paint looks like what it typically does on a fiberglass surface after years of flexing.
No, a magnet sticks to it so it's steel. Mopar used a reddish brown primer on all their replacement metal from this time period and it appears that it's just terrible for aftermarket paint to stick to, but the primer itself is very durable and rust resistant. I think after all the problems they had a few years earlier with fenders rusting on f bodies they finally put the issue to rest.

Back