8 Track Player

Mills51

Reaction score
I currently have an original am/fm radio in my 1978 Aspen. Would a factory 8 track stereo fit in without any modifications? Also, what would be a fair price for a working model in good condition?

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure as long as you get a '78 or close version the connections SHOULD be the same. The fit in the dash should be identical.
My personal price idea would be roughly...
Mint $75 tops
Good $50
Okay $25.

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
I looked in my electrical service manual last night and as far as I can tell all F-body radios will fit all years.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Okay...
So now you've installed your vintage OEM 8 track player
and you finally get to crank that Del Reeves truckin' tape you've been waiting so long to hear BUT!!! You notice your fake woodgrain case loaded with cassettes... what do you do now???

Easy... you whip out your vintage 70's Radio Shack "Stereo Cassette Adapter"
Slam this puppy into your 8 track player, insert a cassette and crank it up!

(Sorry...my phone takes crappy pics)

2012-05-01 21.23.04.jpg

2012-05-01 21.20.38.jpg

Last edited:

Mills51

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies. I will definitely have to get the cassette converter. ;)

lowbudget

Reaction score
I'm at work so I can't check my stash of 4 stock 8 track players but I think some were 2 speaker and some were 4 speaker. I know I had to clip the stock ends off of the wiring harnesses and add 2 - 3 1/2" speakers where the 4x10 was and 2 in the back for the one I installed in my Aspen but my radio was only AM. Also I know Dodge made some mono AM FM radios. It might not be a direct wiring harness plug in switch so check the wiring harness ends. You can find 8 tracks on the bay, old junk yards and second hand stores. They look just like the radio with an 8 track door in them.

Last edited:

76CinnamonRT

Reaction score
Somewhere I saw older mopar stereos retrofitted with jacks for Ipods etc...gonna hafta do some research...

77kickinaspen

Reaction score
thats way cool. noone has also mentioned the classic sound sterios on my classic car .....there new cd players and stuff that look vintage for all domestic brands i beleve

lowbudget

Reaction score
That's AM/FM but not stereo.

$(KGrHqJ,!jIE697,gMJIBPc7PVHv6g~~60_58.jpg

$(KGrHqF,!k8E9G8tTy)BBPc7MjeZSg~~60_58.jpg

Yup no balance control knob so that would make your Ipod mono also. As I was saying you will need to watch the pigtails on the radio harness for mono/stereo/stereophonic(quad). plugs.

Last edited:

Mroldart2u

Reaction score
Back in the day it was all mostly mono anyways, so it would just be an old school radio playing a great list of tunes.... WITHOUT all the commercials....

Back