'89 Fifth Ave

kkritsilas

Reaction score
The TQ was used in Mopars for a long time, so there is a possibilty of finding the correct linkages for a TQ, at least at a junkyard. The Qjet will require a linkage to be made up, unless you luck into one of the later Mopars that used Qjets. It may or may not be easy to find the correct TQ linkages, but they were used on a greater variety of cars. The Qjet was used on later Mopars (after the TQ went out of production). I think the difference between the Qjet and TQ are not as great as they are between them an a typical Holley (4160). Both can be made to work pretty well, when set up properly.

Kostas

ramenth

Reaction score
The TQ was used in Mopars for a long time, so there is a possibilty of finding the correct linkages for a TQ, at least at a junkyard. The Qjet will require a linkage to be made up, unless you luck into one of the later Mopars that used Qjets. It may or may not be easy to find the correct TQ linkages, but they were used on a greater variety of cars. The Qjet was used on later Mopars (after the TQ went out of production). I think the difference between the Qjet and TQ are not as great as they are between them an a typical Holley (4160). Both can be made to work pretty well, when set up properly.

Kostas

That, and if you use a factory spread bore intake then make sure it's a Quadrajunk used on Chryslers. GM's carbs will bolt, but the base plate won't seal on the Chrysler intakes.

Monkeyed

Reaction score
That, and if you use a factory spread bore intake then make sure it's a Quadrajunk used on Chryslers. GM's carbs will bolt, but the base plate won't seal on the Chrysler intakes.

This is what I scored of cl for 100 bucks, I see Ed's not real popular around here, but if it'll work, who cares. Not sure if I should rebuild the carb and hope for the best, or use it as a core and get a remanned one with a warranty.

IMG_20140322_232305_875[1].jpg

and this is where it'll go lol

IMG_20140404_180906_526[1].jpg

a little grimy, but still pretty tidy

IMG_20140404_180853_409[1].jpg

IMG_20140322_232305_875[1].jpg

IMG_20140404_180906_526[1].jpg

IMG_20140404_180853_409[1].jpg

Monkeyed

Reaction score
there is a possibilty of finding the correct linkages for a TQ, at least at a junkyard.

I have 3 of them within walking distance from my house, (used to be 5), they aren't always very helpful though.. they'll have acres of cars piled on top of each other, but somehow the person I ask about a part knows off the top of their head for fact that they don't have it. :bs:

72Dodge

Reaction score
Ditch the Lean Burn setup. The quickest & easiest way is to get any vacuum-advance distributor (points or electronic) and order up a Pertronix Ignitor I. It's so easy you won't believe it. However, if you want to do the Mopar-style electronic ignition used from '71-'81, I have an article somewhere that covers that swap including making sure everything's wired correctly as well as installing a four-barrel and intake. I'll have to dig a little for it, but it's in the pile somewhere.

Hmmm... this is an article I could probably make good use of if/when you find it also!

alf44

Reaction score
that 2nd video.. that guy is the host of a tv show called top gear

NoCar340

Reaction score
You don't want to go with a '71 ThermoQuad. That's the non-"solid-fuel" version, which is quite different internally due to the strange way in which fuel is metered in that year only, which involves bleeding air into the metering circuits prior to introduction into the venturi. They're not exactly what you'd call easily tuned or particularly good-running carbs; "tweaky" or "finicky" would be better descriptions. No big deal, though, since being 340 only, they're virtually impossible to find. In '72, the TQ got better metering circuits and also showed up on the 400 high-perf and all low-performance/C-barge 440s, but it's still not easily found.

However, in my experience, most TQs are useful as-delivered. Yes, you want the vacuum advance port but 4V trucks have that port almost universally during the TQ era. If you do have one without it, though, there are ways around it. One is to install the timed port yourself and the other is to use a throttle-actuated vacuum switch. The work to install the timed VA is almost done for you other than drilling a couple of holes (you will need a pin-vise drill and a tiny bit, both cheap) The electric vacuum switch can use the original idle switch found on ESA/ELB* carbs. Mopar used to make an electric vacuum solenoid, part number 4145181, but there are commonly-avaliable 12V solenoids that can replace it, such as Ingersoll Rand #P251SS-012-D. Neither option is particularly difficult.

Looking at Monkeyed's carb, the only wire I can definitively see is the one for the bowl-vent solenoid which also feeds the electric choke heater used on the carb's original application. That wire simply goes to 12V+ switch (key-on), so wiring it is a snap. All it does is close the carburetor's bowl vent when the key is switched off. Nothing magic about it, other than keeping the gas smell out of the garage. If you get me the list number, Monkeyed, I can tell you exactly what you've got there. The number will be stamped on the carb's mounting flange on the driver's side, facing the firewall. I can also tell you the CFM rating of your carb at that point, though they only came in 3 sizes: "large", "huge", and "now you're just being silly", also known as 800, 850, and 1,000CFM flow ratings. The 1,000CFM unit was never used by the factory and is readily recognized by the raised pads above the float bowls that say "Competition Series". No, none of these carbs is "too big" for your engine; that's the magic of the ThermoQuad. Tune it to spec and it's a perfect fit every time.

Rebuilding the TQ is pretty straightforward using just the instructions with your rebuild kit (do not order a carb kit any other way than using the list number, ever!). One big area of concern being the two square-section O-rings low in the carb. They seem almost useless, but if you forget to install them, the carb will literally dump fuel into the engine. It will run, but it'll run quite poorly. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who's made that mistake. Trust me, you'll only make it once. Pop the extra few bucks and get a new pair of floats while you've got it apart. It's cheap insurance. Brass & nitrophyl will interchange willy-nilly, and though in my experience people seem to prefer brass, today's nitrophyl floats are virtually impervious to fuel soak and will last nigh-on forever.

Even ESA/ELB carbs are jetted fairly rich from the factory so tuning is pretty simple. The only real "trick" to a ThermoQuad is the secondary air valve adjustment, which can be done with 3 screwdrivers if you use a little intelligence, but the factory-type tool is easily made or readily gotten via sources such as eBay. Setting up the carburetor per the factory's '72 guide will result in excellent performance in all aspects: fuel economy, drivability, and those full-throttle dances that remind you why you wanted a four barrel in the first place. Click here for the table of contents; I highly recommend you print out each and every page (they're clickable in the table of contents) and set your carburetor up exactly as shown, including bending the linkages, etc. Yes, it all really does make a difference. Another tuning guide, perhaps a little less comprehensive but easier to print, can be found here. Whichever you choose to print for garage/driveway use, you'll want to have it laminated because once you fall in love with the TQ, you're hooked and you'll want to have this information forever.

One last tip, and this goes for everyone running a carburetor (meaning virtually everyone here):
Today's gasoline is absolute crap. You don't have to be told about ethanol blends as high as 10% (E90) Carburetors don't like that at all. It varnishes quickly, tears up seals, diaphragms, etc. For the best performance, economy, and longevity from your carburetors, I cannot stress this enough: Use Lucas Fuel Treatment #10020 (single-serving) or #10003 (quart size) about every third fill-up, and use Gold Eagle Marine Sta-Bil (#22239 treats 80 gallons, #22240 treats 320 gallons) or Sta-Bil Ethanol Treatment #22275 (80 gallon size) all the time. The Marine Sta-Bil is the better of the two Gold Eagle products but both work quite well. I don't work for, nor do I sell either line of products, but years of experience with ever-decreasing fuel quality have taught me well by not only personal experience but by listening to my customers. If you're a believer in SeaFoam, well, so was I. You will go back and throw rocks at SeaFoam after using the less-expensive Lucas product, and the Sta-Bil products convert your ethanol-polluted fuel back to nearly E0 while SeaFoam is virtually ineffective. This will not be the last time I rant about these products; they truly make a ton of difference. You will notice a difference in how well your car runs, I promise.

* ESA = Electronic Spark Advance, which is the later term for ELB (Electronic Lean Burn)

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
One quick question for NoCar if I may.
I'm running what they profess to be ethanol free 91 (best we have)
Are additives necessary in my case?
Thanks.

NoCar340

Reaction score
If you're paying considerably more for your fuel than at other stations, then I'd buy the ethanol-free thing. Here it equates to about 40 cents/gallon more than everywhere else. It's actually cheaper to buy the Sta-Bil. :eusa_doh:

I still recommend the Lucas no matter what. The reason your fuel isn't 93 octane is partially due to blending with other additives geared toward lower emissions that causes gumming and varnishing. The Lucas treatment is flat-out amazing. I recommended it to a friend and former customer just a week and a half ago, and he actually had a current co-worker track me down in Kentucky to tell me what a difference it made in his EFI truck. Another converted SeaFoam user. :eusa_dance:

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Captain:

I'm pretty sure that most of the gas in Canada is ethanol free. The one chain in Calgary that does sell ethanol blend pronounces it proudly (why?) on their pumps. All of the other chains, as far as I know, don't sell ethanol blends, and that includes most of the majors.

Kostas

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
If you're paying considerably more for your fuel than at other stations, then I'd buy the ethanol-free thing. Here it equates to about 40 cents/gallon more than everywhere else. It's actually cheaper to buy the Sta-Bil. :eusa_doh:

I still recommend the Lucas no matter what. The reason your fuel isn't 93 octane is partially due to blending with other additives geared toward lower emissions that causes gumming and varnishing. The Lucas treatment is flat-out amazing. I recommended it to a friend and former customer just a week and a half ago, and he actually had a current co-worker track me down in Kentucky to tell me what a difference it made in his EFI truck. Another converted SeaFoam user. :eusa_dance:

Thank you Sir.
I'll give it a go.
Hijack over.....

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Captain:

I'm pretty sure that most of the gas in Canada is ethanol free. The one chain in Calgary that does sell ethanol blend pronounces it proudly (why?) on their pumps. All of the other chains, as far as I know, don't sell ethanol blends, and that includes most of the majors.

Kostas

Hijack almost over...
Here in "let's all ride bikes and hug a tree" T.O.
The only ethanol free option available is Shell 91.
That's it....every other company.....
Petro Con, Esso, Husky....you name it all has ethanol
Premium or not.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Cap'n:

That actually may change in 2016 or so, when the East-West pipeline finally gets reversed, and you end up getting your crude from Alberta. You may see a price drop as well. I don't know if the refineries upir gas is coming from are made to require ethanol as I don't know their processes, but I do know that the refineries in Edmonton and Regina, which is where most of our gasoline are refined do not have ethanol added. In all honesty, out here, it would make gas more expensive, as there is no real large supply of corn. There is a region in Alberta around the town of Taber, but its famous for the corn that you cook, and I doubt that the supply is anywhere near big enough to allow for blending with gasoline.

Kostas

Last edited:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Cap'n:

That actually may change in 2016 or so, when the East-West pipeline finally gets reversed, and you end up getting your crude from Alberta. You may see a price drop as well. I don't know if the refineries are made to require ethanol as I don't know their processes, but I do know that the refineries in Edmonton and Regina, which is where most of our gasoline are refined do not have ethanol added.

Kostas

I truly hope you're right but not holding my breath.
As far as I know it's blended semi locally and the tofu eating hippie tree huggers running this city don't want nasty emissions dirtying up their BMW SUV's.
I hope you're right but as I said....not holding my breath.
Anyway I thank you gents for answering my question but I really don't want to derail Monkeyed's thread......

NoCar340

Reaction score
I'm not certain of Canadian law regarding the subject so I won't speak for you Timmy-lovin' rascals, but down here federal law allows blends of up to 10% (E90) without having to mention anything about it. In fact, I would estimate that probably 99% of Americans have no idea of the crap they dump in their tanks regularly. In fact, a lot of people put clearly-marked E85 in cars that have no business running it because it's 10 cents a gallon or more off the cost of regular gasoline. Fuel purveyors love all this, because ethanol is much cheaper so profit margin is higher. However, if your gasoline provider's distribution system pulls anything out of American refineries, it seems almost impossible that your fuel could be ethanol-free unless it's coming from Cenex. I don't know the brands up there but BP, Citgo, Sunoco and just about any of the 5 million gasoline chains down here have pretty-much all gone over to the dark side. Regardless of ethanol, it's almost a lock that there are other "emissions" additives in the fuel that are doing your carburetors no end of bad.

One of the old-timer service station owners in a town where I lived 8 years ago went and bought fuel from every gas station in town and sent it, along with his, out for testing. He proudly posted the testing results on the wall of his customer area as he was the only ethanol-free station within 30 miles. That was a BP station, and while he still has a lower blend of E-ville in his tanks he's still the lowest around his area. The Cenex station 10 miles from here is consistently 40 cents higher per gallon, because their fuel is certified ethanol free. Not surprisingly, he's near prime boating areas (boats in particular react badly to ethanol--it absorbs water) and is quite busy during the summer and does a brisk snowmobile business in the winter.

Believe it or not, all this research into fuel started because of my lawnmower, years ago. "They don't build 'em like they used to," everyone says about how their small engines run. No, we just can't easily fuel them like we used to. The groundskeeper of one of the local country clubs considers me nothing short of a superhero since I clued him into the Lucas/Gold Eagle combo several years ago. His downtime decreased by over 50%. That's saying something.

The Lucas "discovery" was actually made by a former co-worker of mine who absolutely would not shut up about it. So I tried it, and now I won't. :eusa_dance:

Back