Chrsyler heads XXX714 casting numbers

Bruceynz

Reaction score
yes, but my valves are smaller and shrouded quite badly
714.jpg

714.jpg

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Aspen77rt - Is there any gains going to 1.6 rocker ratio and how does it change the engine with the extra valve lift? It would mean with .281/.296 1.6 ratio the lift would go to .45/.474

Last edited:

aspen77rt

Reaction score
Aspen77rt - Is there any gains going to 1.6 rocker ratio and how does it change the engine with the extra valve lift? It would mean with .281/.296 1.6 ratio the lift would go to .45/.474

Really it would give a little performance gain. Not for the cost of aftermarket La 1.6 rockers.IMO if you want more lift, go with a different cam or go with magnums heads. However you already have a nice set of 302's.

My old Aspen motor was a stock short '77 318 with magnums heads. The mp761 cam with a 1.5 lift went from .455 to .488. I only went to 1.6 because that's what the mag heads come with.

I even checked the PTV clearance and still had a lot of room.

BTW what valve springs are you running on those 302's?

Last edited:

aspen77rt

Reaction score
yes, but my valves are smaller and shrouded quite badly
View attachment 9706

I still like your set up better. You're comp will be higher than the motor in the video. The smaller ports will due well at the rpm you'll be operating the do a at.

Using a thinner head gasket might net a little more comp too with your set up.

Last edited:

Bruceynz

Reaction score
BTW - Those heads are not my own heads, just a photo of a 714 head, my heads are still in transit. My heads are on there way to my friend in SC who will add to my pallet shipment to NZ. XXX302 heads are hard to fine, its taking me a while, the head reconditioning place had never seen 714's before until now, they had seen the 302 castings but not the 714's they are not easy to find! I decided to buy reconditioned ones out of the USA as buying used ones I don't know if they are cracked and the ones I have bought have been crack tested and rebuilt.

Last edited:

Bruceynz

Reaction score
BTW - Those heads are not my own heads, just a photo of a 714 head, my heads are still in transit. My heads are on there way to my friend in SC who will add to my pallet shipment to NZ. XXX302 heads are hard to fine, its taking me a while, the head reconditioning place had never seen 714's before until now, they had seen the 302 castings but not the 714's they are not easy to find! I decided to buy reconditioned ones out of the USA as buying used ones I don't know if they are cracked and the ones I have bought have been crack tested and rebuilt.

opps some how I posted twice and can't delete this post

Last edited:

greymouser7

Reaction score
Babbling :mblah05:

Ive went to the same guy twice for cams. For the Aspen and one initially spec'd for the Mirada.

'77 Aspen (summary of Camshaft Questionnaire)
'96 360 Magnum
9.5 to 9.7:1 Comp
Indy X heads 1.94/1.625
The intake is an edelbrock LD 340.

How does an LD340 fit onto magnum heads or how are you using non magnum heads on a magnum engine?

Bruceynz

Reaction score
There is the NZ Mopar forum which is like this but for all mopars, they don't run clubs as its quite a hassle so they have tended to organize events via the forum. Take a look we have some pretty cool mopars down under http://www.nzmoparforum.co.nz/

As a club you have to have monthly meetings, people have to pay fees to be in it, you have to have annual general meetings and people don't have the time to attend so the forum works well, none of the hassle of a club but with all the things a club can do.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
What color should I paint the heads? any good ideas, current engine color is mopar blue, going to get some nice black coated mopar performance valve covers.

valvecover.JPG

valvecover.JPG

Last edited:

kkritsilas

Reaction score
the "flat spring" is a damper, diesigned to stop the main spring from oscillating. Without it, at some RPM points, the spring can start to oscillate, which will mean loss of spring pressure and valve train control (used to be called "floating the valves"). It doesn't mean that this is a good or bad spring, as I don't know Falcon Performance from a hole in the wall, but that is what the inner coil is for; it si fairly common for straight wound springs (as opposed to barrel wound (often with oval section wire, also called "beehive springs"), conical wound, or springs wound with a wire that varies in diameter along the wire length. All of these valve spring designs are trying to eliminate (if possible) valve spring oscillations. Some times, some manufacturers can combine a few concepts (conical wire spring with varying wire diameter for example) when really large/heavy valves are to be used in high RPM motors (think Hemi big block valves at >7000 RPM).

The presence of a spring damper is just a design choice. It says nothing about the spring quality.

Kostas

Last edited:

Bruceynz

Reaction score
We will see how it goes when i get it all together, its going to be a while, the heads are going via sea freight when my shipment is ready, now need a 8.25" rear end to suit my car and that will see my shipment ready to send to NZ.

I suspect like cams that there are only a few manufactures of head springs, my cam is badged Elgin but it is the same as the summit 6900 cam, prob same with springs.

I am only looking at turning the 318 to 5000rpm redline so I hope the springs will handle it all ok!

Last edited:

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Aspen77rt - Do you think for the heads I am running, the revs I want to turn at and the cam I have that there is any advantage going to the larger 1.88/1.6 valves? I myself don't know but from what I know is this, the ports are small, bigger valves will effect the low end throttle response and as the heads have not going to get ported will a bigger valve benefit anything?

Is there any advantage in just changing the inlet or does it go hand in hand you change inlet and exhaust for bigger?

Thanks in advance for your advice
Bruce

aspen77rt

Reaction score
With what you want to use the car for, I wouldn't bother. My logic (others may differ) is once you start doing work to those heads at what point do we have diminishing returns cost wise. To take advantage of the 1.88/1.60 I would get some port work. That being said why go 1.88 and not 2.02. The cost you would put into those nice looking heads, you would do better with a set of non-cracked Magnums or better yet EQ Magnums, which flow better out of the box.

Magnum heads on an LA motor is not hard at all. My old motor from the Aspen LA 318/Magnum Heads
attachment.jpg

You don't have the advantage of us stateside guys cost wise. A severe handicap for lack of better words. I would do your motor as planned. Concentrate on the rear end and better gearing getting the 2.45's out of there.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Ok sounds like good advice to me! To make things worse it has got a 2.2 ratio :) You can run faster than what it takes off at :) The problem I have in NZ is getting the bits to NZ, if I forget anything for my pallet its expensive to get here, can get some bits here but the price is huge, I think people in NZ think mopar parts are gold plated at the prices they ask for them! if I stick with combos of stuff I know will work and not cause me any issues I am all good, changing to mag heads then getting push rods made to length etc could see me with problems. A Pallet is going to cost me $700 to get to NZ, you guys just don't know how lucky you are when people say free freight in the USA. Why do I live half way around the world and like mopars :BangHead: I know why because they made cool cars and all you guys are awesome with the help and advice you offer me, makes it all worth it!!:icon_razz:

Last edited:

aspen77rt

Reaction score
If you were to get that 8.25 in there, with even 2.94's, it would make a huge difference IMO.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Headers vs Exhaust manifolds if I only want to turn to 5000rpm is going to headers going to be any advantage to me, will it really harm performance to much? The car has a nice single exhaust on it now that goes to the exhaust manifolds, do exhaust manifolds rob power at the bottom or the top of the RPM? If was a race car I guess headers is a no brainer but for a street cruiser???? hmmmmm anyones thoughts?

Back