Dual Exhaust System Kits

fuzbone

Reaction score
Anybody had any experience with any of the dual exhaust kits from Summit and Jeg's (Heartthrob) or Pypes etc. and an ability to modify any of their kits, like say an A-Body kit, into a J-Body?

I read the thread about moving the gas tank to fit in the dual exhaust, now I'd like to hear about some cool dual exhaust options y'all are runnin'.

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Then check out this...

Mine is a h-pipe custom that exits both sides with some chrome ends. I am going to get it changed to both pipes exiting the passenger side rear near the rear bumper. I have that gas tank that is slid over towards the driver's side.

IMG_0032.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0032.jpg
    IMG_0032.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 738

res1vw21

Reaction score
I was gonna run some T/A muffs and tips with a standard H pipe in front of them on the SC.

holmes

Reaction score
I helped Hutch from Farleys do this (including moving the tank over) and as the article says it fits very well.
http://www.angelfire.com/ca/mikesspot/exhaust.html
We also installed a Heartthrob exhaust for a 67 Nova with headers on a 79 Aspen wagon (where the tailpipes exited just behind the rear wheelwells) and it fit with very little modification.

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
Mine is a h-pipe custom that exits both sides with some chrome ends. I am going to get it changed to both pipes exiting the passenger side rear near the rear bumper. I have that gas tank that is slid over towards the driver's side.

IMG_0032.jpg

move your gas tank over. all you gotta do is undo the straps, and slide it over 1 rib on the tank, you might have to pop out a grommet in the trunk floor. i have done this on my 5th ave and know a lot of people over on farleys has done this too without any problems

as for the original post, i know a couple people have used the summit racing a-body exhaust system and only had to do a slight bend in the passenger side pipe so it wouldnt it the driveshaft, and have em exiting under the rear bumper with the gas tank moved over

Attachments

• IMG_0032.jpg
    IMG_0032.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 422

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Not moving the gas tank on this baby. Am taking the car to a muffler guru. If he can't make it exit both sides then it's going to one side. No grommet on the trunk floor either...fuel filler pipe runs on the outside of the trunk straight into the gas tank.

Last edited:

CMX

Reaction score
I had true duals run on my Mirada today. I moved the gas tank over one strap & the tailpipes exit under the bumper where they should. X-pipe with Flowmaster's, reproduction stainless tips for a Challenger. It turned out great!! Totally changed the car for the better.

P1040816.jpg

P1040818.jpg

P1040819.jpg

P1040820.jpg

P1040803.jpg

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
I had true duals run on my Mirada today. I moved the gas tank over one strap & the tailpipes exit under the bumper where they should. X-pipe with Flowmaster's, reproduction stainless tips for a Challenger. It turned out great!! Totally changed the car for the better.
Yep it looks good. My gas tank has that huge hump up top..you guys run the later with no hump. That's why I say it won't happen. :director:

fuzbone

Reaction score

That looks real good, thanks for the excellent pics.
Nice to know the A-Body kit is an option too Fellas, thanks.

How's that baby sound now CMX?

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
Not moving the gas tank on this baby. Am taking the car to a muffler guru. If he can't make it exit both sides then it's going to one side. No grommet on the trunk floor either...fuel filler pipe runs on the outside of the trunk straight into the gas tank.
i know how the fuel neck runs, but theres a drain plug in the middle of the floor that has to be removed (maybe f-bodies dont have it) for the tank to sit flush on the floor

Yep it looks good. My gas tank has that huge hump up top..you guys run the later with no hump. That's why I say it won't happen. :director:
is this the bump your talkin about? if so mine fits fine and its in my 5th ave
pleed082-1.jpg

Attachments

• pleed082-1.jpg
    pleed082-1.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 439

res1vw21

Reaction score
The ('76-'77) f body tanks look like A body tanks and are kinda an L shape. F body don't have that bump either, otherwise they look pretty much the same. ('78-'80)

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
This is the L shape Ross was talking about...I call it a hump. It would hit the spare tire tub if you tried to move it over.

IMG_0273.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0273.jpg
    IMG_0273.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 468
  • IMG_0274.jpg
    IMG_0274.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 468

dusterdan

Reaction score
Hey CMX, is that "trans fluid" blowing back covering your differential and tank? Looks like something is leaking:(

1976RR

Reaction score
There shoud be NO problem having exhaust exit on both sides just behind back tire ... I had that on the 76 RR i just sold... and if the Exhaust guy says he cannot do it ... take it somewhere else .... dual exhaust exiting one side under rear bumper is Europeon style ... :(

LSM360

Reaction score
I have the Jegs A body kit on my M, and plan to put the same kit on my '80 Aspen. Came out real nice on M. Tank move was actually pretty easy after popping out the trunk pan plugs so the tank would fit closer to the trunk pan allowing me to use stock straps and bolts. I already moved the tank/extended the fill tube on my Aspen, just need the funds to buy the kit. The M required some modification on driver's side, but nothing too intensive. I am running Walker "Quiet Flow" mufflers. They sound about OEM I would say.

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
There shoud be NO problem having exhaust exit on both sides just behind back tire ... I had that on the 76 RR i just sold... and if the Exhaust guy says he cannot do it ... take it somewhere else .... dual exhaust exiting one side under rear bumper is Europeon style ... :(
Frank the key phrase is Just sold it. So you don't want Europeon style on mine. You sure they can route 2 1/2" exhaust around my gas tank with the hump? :toothy3: I don't want it dumping out the sides anymore.

Last edited:

77RTNJ

Reaction score
My plan is to use the JEGS A-body kit on my 77 Aspen. Mine is a late build 77 that does not have the hump on the gas tank or the Spare tire well. It is just like the M-bodies, so I will move the tank over one rib. My tank does not have the little hump in the center of the tank, that is for the rollover valve that was on later tanks. When I pull my tank to do the move, if for some reason I need to get a new tank, I will use the one with the rollover and make a dimple in the floor to make it work. Reason being that for the later tanks, the fuel sending units are still available. They do not make one for mine as the hole for the sending unit is smaller.
Too much other work to do first before I get to this.

Kevin

CMX

Reaction score
Hey CMX, is that "trans fluid" blowing back covering your differential and tank? Looks like something is leaking:(

I'm not saying there's no oil leaks, but what your're seeing all over everything is aftermarket rustproofing that was applied when the car was new. It's greasy oilly shit that never dries. It makes working on anything under the car a sticky mess. In the summer heat, the stuff actually starts to drip off the areas in proximity to the exhaust & onto the garage floor. Turbulant air movement & road spray from driving down the road actually cause dust size particles to settle on the back of the car, & normal washing won't remove it. Every time I wash the car I have to go over it a second time with a degreaser to really get it clean.

I understand why the stuff was applied when the car was new. The car was sold new in Detroit, but wound up being parked most of it's life & saw little or no time driving in road salt. It's just messy & unattractive. I sometimes think about removing all of it. However, this is my daily driver & what it looks like under the car isn't that important to me.

CMX

Reaction score
That looks real good, thanks for the excellent pics.
Nice to know the A-Body kit is an option too Fellas, thanks.

How's that baby sound now CMX?

I think it sounds great! It was way too quite before. With THREE catalytic converters & a muffler, it was difficult to tell if it was running while idling. I like the looks & sound of duals, so even though it was expensive, it was a must have for me.

Back