Dual Exhaust

65 Dartman

Reaction score
The 80 Cordoba I parted out had a true dual exhaust with cats. The driver's side was routed behind the gas tank and out along the passenger side tailpipe (saw a drawing for this type of exhaust on the M Body cop car). I saved the system for patterns, for sale or in case I ever found another J. I think the F was a shorter wheelbase so it probably wouldn't fit.

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
The 80 Cordoba I parted out had a true dual exhaust with cats. The driver's side was routed behind the gas tank and out along the passenger side tailpipe (saw a drawing for this type of exhaust on the M Body cop car). I saved the system for patterns, for sale or in case I ever found another J. I think the F was a shorter wheelbase so it probably wouldn't fit.
The problem with dual exhaust running out of the back of a F body is the gas tank it is shifted toward the driver's side and is so close to the leaf spring that it's a no wano and almost impossible to run one on that side..

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
On the Miradas you can loosen the gas tank straps and move the tank over to the pass side one rib ( 0f the tank ) and retighten the straps. Supposedly the gas fill tube is still long enough to reach the new location. I dont know if this works on F bodies.

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
On the Miradas you can loosen the gas tank straps and move the tank over to the pass side one rib ( 0f the tank ) and retighten the straps. Supposedly the gas fill tube is still long enough to reach the new location. I dont know if this works on F bodies.
We have that enormous hump in the drivers side..at top the vent line is there and like you I am not sure of doing it nor have I heard anyone that has done it on an F Body..that's a cool idea though...

old tired rebel

Reaction score
Has any one checked that on a F body? I have seen a few here with dual exhaust ran out the back,but I never took a close look.

volarerob

Reaction score
I don't see that working with the larger (18 Gal) tanks because of the hump on the drivers side, 76 & some 77's had that style of tank. The one you might be able to pull that off with is the smaller (15 Gal) tanks because they don't have that hump and are symmetrical (for the most part) top and bottom. My 76 Volare had stock dual exhaust but they both exited on the passenger side because of the tank. I took that off and had a shop tuck it behind the rear tires. Fits but just barely, and my 77 Aspen R/T is set up the same way but it has the smaller tank. So it might be possible to slide the tank over just a little and sneak the exhaust past and out under the rear bumper.

oh yeah, by the way I'm new to the site but not to F-bodys. I've had my 76 Volare for 19 years (My first car!) I also have a 77 Aspen R/T that I picked up about 3 years ago. I've had many others but all were only parts cars (76 Aspen SE, 76 Aspen SE sedan, 77 Volare wagon, 79 Volare Duster, & 77 Volare T-Top)

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
How about this for some duel exhaust...

This is what my car used to look like...

IMG00070-20110217-1946.jpg

old tired rebel

Reaction score
I remember when sidepipes were a big thing to have on a car,truck,van in the 70's.Glad it's over. But I do like the T/A style of what you have now.

65 Dartman

Reaction score
Here's a quick picture I took of the dual exhaust that was on the 80 Cordoba I parted out. Once the driver's side got back near the gas tank, it got routed over to the passenger side. Should be able to do the same thing on a F Body. Sorry for the poor picture quality but I think you get the idea.

cordoba stuff 003.jpg

Remow2112

Reaction score
Easy dual exhaust

Buy a gas tank from a 78 and up f or m body. They are flat and took the huge driver side hump out. You can then shift them one rib over under your car.

77RTNJ

Reaction score
Cars Like mine built after 4-77 had the flat 18 gallon tank like the m and j body. We have a flat trunk floor no round spare tire well, so no hump needed. these tanks can be shifted one rib in the tank to make room for the exhaust. For an exhaust a Jegs A-body exhaust will then fit with very little mods. I will be ordering the jegs exhaust and headers when I do my car.

I will probably order a newer (80 and up) m-body tank as they will fit and they have sending units available for them cheap. They have a different size opening for the sender than our tanks. They also have a rollover valve in them instead of just the vent hose connection. I think a small dimple needs to be made in the trunk floor to clear the rollover valve.
Not a big deal for me as my trunk is carpeted as I have the fold down seat.

These tanks cannot be used on the older 76 and 77 f-bodies unless you change the trunk floor.

Kevin

CMX360

Reaction score
The M-body Dodge Magnums from Mexico had dual exhaust down one side just like that. Also pre-production 360 Miradas in America had dual exhaust and its said a few production ones did too. The system looks very factory. The cats look factory and the welds and bends look to good to be a muffler shop job. You may have parted out one extremely rare Cordoba. It may have even come from Mexico. Was the car so bad it couldn't be saved?

Remow2112

Reaction score
Keystone Classics

I actually got a set of those in 14" on the t-top I bought. If you are interested let me know and I will let them go cheap. Just have to figure out how to ship them.

Dan...

Mroldart2u

Reaction score
I actually got a set of those in 14" on the t-top I bought. If you are interested let me know and I will let them go cheap. Just have to figure out how to ship them.

Dan...

Yes i would be, but dunno 'bout shipping either, dont know the weight of wheel, or set.... guess you figured i'm in texas.. zip is 79106

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Yes i would be, but dunno 'bout shipping either, dont know the weight of wheel, or set.... guess you figured i'm in texas.. zip is 79106
I shipped a set of 17" wheels and tires to Wisconsin they weighed about 46lbs a peice...it cost 150 bucks to ship them Fed Ex ground

joeblo

Reaction score
I just bought a new gas tank for my 80 diplomat. the original tank was flat on top but all the replacements had the hump on top. I don't know if you can still get a flat tank. I didn't look to hard because my trunk floor was made for the hump. The original tank had a roll over valve that fit up in the hump in the trunk.

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Holey Smokes...lol maybe with out tires they will be somewhat lighter...
The tires were like brand new fifty series and he wanted them...they were on AR five spoke rims...500 bucks for all four so he didn't mind the shipping....:toothy1:

Back