Excessive White Smoke Out Exhaust

Mopar_Gods

Reaction score
So I decided to take the Aspen for a ride tonight since it has been sitting in my garage for several months now. I noticed at idle there is steady white smoke coming from my tail pipes. I have checked for coolant leaks none were found or visible to the eye. I went ahead and decided to take it for a spend figuring maybe it would help to blow some of the carbon built up out from sitting. Drove the vehicle right at 45 minutes and it ran pretty good minus the excessive white smoke. Anybody else have a slant six 225 3.7 they are having the same problem with? Vehicle seems to do it cold and when completely warmed up. I have been working on other things on the vehicle so I haven't even focused on the engine yet. Has been a long time since I have smelled the choke you to death raw egg fuel smell Lol. I could be wrong but it appears the carburetor has been rebuilt. I am thinking the one barrel Carburetor is way off anybody have any idea what the idle screw should be set at or fuel? I am running a manual choke. Thank You.

Last edited:

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
This is how it starts then it gets worse.white smoke means coolant...most likely a blown head gasket this is the kind of head gasket failure that can lead up to hydro lock...if that is what your problem is.. it also could be an exhaust manifold stud that is leaking into the manifold. check your radiator for the telltale oil slick floating on top after it cools off. also check the oil for white sludge.

Mopar_Gods

Reaction score
Oil is good. Coolant has no film. Car doesn't run hot. I am still scratching my head on this one. Before the vehicle was purchased by me previous owner drove it for two years strait daily. I have owned the vehicle right at three or four months.

Last edited:

kkritsilas

Reaction score
How long has the car been sitting? Is it possible it is moisture in the oil? Does the exhaust have any smell to it at all when it is smoking? Does it smell like oil, or perhaps sort of sweet (if so, it is coolant, or in the old days, it used to be). If there is no smell at all, it is most likely condensation in the oil, but that is dependent on how long it has been sitting, and how much ambient moisture (humidity) it was sitting in. Are you sure you are seeing smoke, and not steam?

Kostas

Mopar_Gods

Reaction score
Yes smells like raw gas to me. Had my eyes burning and damn near choked me out. I had to open both my garage doors and hit the top fans just to clear it out. It is like a strait fuel smell but with white smoke and when I say strong I mean strong. Like old raw gas that has been sitting for a long time.

Last edited:

Mopar_Gods

Reaction score
Well with my reading glasses on this time I went ahead and went back to the garage. When I started the vehicle up this time there was very little smoke at start up or at idle and warmed up. I placed my hand near the exhaust to see if the steam felt sticky it did not. Oil still looks like new from recently being changed. Radiator coolant looks like new. It is almost like I have a severe rich fuel exhaust leak now at the rear of the vehicle. Maybe I should drop the tank and get all the old gas out of the tank to see if this will help it any and clean up the carb.

Last edited:

R/T Mirada

Reaction score
Burning eyes and very old gas would usually mean something in the carb is letting in too much fuel. If the Oil is good. Coolant has no film and the Car doesn't run hot. yank the carb and rebuild it or at-least pull off the top of the carb and flush it out with carb cleaner

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Just my two cents....
If it was running really rich for a length of time you might want to give the oil the sniff test to make sure none of the gas got in there.
Thinned out oil is a lousy lubricant....

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
Burning eyes and very old gas would usually mean something in the carb is letting in too much fuel. If the Oil is good. Coolant has no film and the Car doesn't run hot. yank the carb and rebuild it or at-least pull off the top of the carb and flush it out with carb cleaner

X2 :thumbsup:

Monkeyed

Reaction score
before you drop the tank, run what's in there down a bit, and refill it with freesh stuff, but a thing or two of injector/carb cleaner in it (the stuff that's made to go in the tank). the varnish might not be too bad yet. it's also possible the valve seals dried out a bit from sitting, and now that they've been soaked in oil again are softening up.

if that doesn't help, then whaat he said about taking the top off the carb.

Mopar_Gods

Reaction score
Well there is one thing for sure it is running super rich at both tail pipes. Just takes a few minutes and my garage is filled with fuel smelled smoke so strong I half to step outside to breathe headache ect. Checked the coolant again no film. Ran the heater to and temp looked good right at half so not over heating. Ran the vehicle at idle over 30 minutes. Pretty sure it is the carb. Unsure if there is gas in the oil cant really tell even when trying to smell the stick outdoors. But there is definitely no coolant in it. Keep you posted as I learn more.

Last edited:

Mopar_Gods

Reaction score
Well I had planned on over hauling the engine at a later date but guess it will be sooner then I would have liked. Haven't had a chance to check the compression at the cylinders yet but it appears my valve guides may be shot. Also pulled the plugs they are wet and smell of gas and so does the oil now even tho it is still pretty oily.:BangHead:

Last edited:

compubert

Reaction score
Well I had planned on over hauling the engine at a later date but guess it will be sooner then I would have liked. Haven't had a chance to check the compression at the cylinders yet but it appears my valve guides may be shot. Also pulled the plugs they are wet and smell of gas and so does the oil now even tho it is still pretty oily.:BangHead:
Just a note, had my /6 sit for years and the old fuel will smell awful and give you quite the headache, had Sta-bil in it to help but you need new gasoline to clear it up. Also smoked like a mosquito fogger (WHITE) with the old gas too.... thanks..Ber.t

Mopar_Gods

Reaction score
Pulled the valve guides they still look new no damage. I will focus more on the Carb and getting all the old gas out of the tank and replacing it with new gas to see if it helps any. Maybe try a little sea foam and or some kind of fuel additive. Thanks for the feed back. Back to work.:whip2:

Last edited:

Rattle Trap

Reaction score
Hold Up Hoss! Seen this a hundred times. Check your spark. If you have junk old gas, and a weak spark, it gets nasty. First thing I do with every single car is spend the $40 on a new ICM. Every single time I've not done that right off the bat, They get oddly rich all of a sudden, then worse... and I wonder why...Why? ...then I go grab an ICM off the shelf and swap it. then I drive over to see a buddy at the state line to run the nasty gas out.... and it's all good again.

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
this may be what is up with my car I have an old ICM as well and a bit of smoke that starts when it first starts running goes away then comes back when fully warmed up...I have all the symptoms that Mopar_Gods has, even the oddly rich exhaust..I have even tried to lean the mixture to no avail .. gonna have to try this and see if it works..

Rattle Trap

Reaction score
I think he's describing seperate issues. The rich condition from a weak ICM mimics a bad power valve in the carb and won't go away with good gas either. I'm not certain about the smoke/gas relationship. But that old stuff is nasty when it doesn't burn...

Ugh..hopefully it's readable now..

Last edited:

alf44

Reaction score
what type of gas do you use? does it contain a high amount of ethonol? that shit has a higher water content in it from the alcohol and when it sits for a long time can really cause trouble with our older cars

Back