Fuel Tank Sending Unit

Mopar_Gods

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can find a fuel tank sending unit that will fit a 1977 Dodge Aspen 2 Door Coupe? It is titled as a 1977 but manufacturer sticker says 10/1976. I am having a time finding a new one. Spoke to a few people on ebay seems what they are selling will not fit the year. Thank You.

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
Those do seem to be made of unobtainium. Up to 04/01/77 ('76 & '77) is different tank and sender than after 04/01/77- 04/21/79, and then 04/21/79-'80 is different again.

Last edited:

Mopar_Gods

Reaction score
I need to locate one some where. I dropped the tank and went to pull the other one out. The entire sending unit just fell apart in pieces.

Mopar_Gods

Reaction score
Man those things are getting expensive. I will measure the gas tank hole opening. Thank You.

Last edited:

compubert

Reaction score
Mine fell apart, I took it out and cobbled it back together and I'll be damned I can tell I have gasoline now... usually not enough, but it works. the arm had to be soldered back on the pivot shaft but we-be-jamin.. I had pics somewhere. . . home-made pick up screen*hA!*
774.jpg

774.jpg

greymouser7

Reaction score
You won't find one. Get a late 77 gas tank and 77-89 FILLER NECK, the fuel sending units won't be unobtainable then.

Even Jim's doesn't list it for early models.

Both of those NOS bill fuel sending units are for the later models 77-80,89

Those eBay listings are hundreds of dollars more expensive than rockauto.

Mopar_Gods

Reaction score
Well the problem I am running into is many sellers can offer me a gas tank but not a sending unit. I even had one seller who offered me a gas tank for $500 bucks I merely asked him if he was stupid or something. I'll keep looking.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
By the way, not that it will help with the fuel sender, but new J body gas tanks are available from Rock Auto, and for a lot less than $500.

Kostas

greymouser7

Reaction score
NO!
DON'T PAY HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS FOR THE FUEL TANK.

iN MY THREAD WHERE I SAID I PAID 20 BUCKS PLUS SHIPPING, I WAS NOT LYING.

SHOP AROUND ON THE WEB- THEY ARE 100 BUCKS OR LESS, PEOPLE HAVE THE FILLER NECKS & TANK STRAPS-JUST GET ONE FROM ANY FMJ CAR. THE FUEL SENDING UNITS ARE FORTY SOMETHING BUCKS NEW

IT ITCHES MY CORE SOUL FOR YOU TO PAY THOSE BULLSHIP PRICES

I HAVE DUTY TOMMORROW, BUT WILL CHECK MY OWN PRE-1976-EARLY 77' TANK AND SENDING UNIT

GOSH MOTHER TRUCKIN DARN IT

greymouser7

Reaction score
Well my gas tank is okay, but the fuel tank float / sending unit is awfully rusty and looks like the whole thing would 'fall apart'

these things look like they are fairly simple and are made of the same/similar parts - just bent differently & at different lengths

Could you fabricate one from an original?

Do you want the whole ensemble?

Last edited:

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Summit Racing has universal fuel tank senders. There appear to be two types, the regular float type with the float on a lever arrangement, and the tube type. The float type seem to be from VDO, and the tube type are available both from VDO and Classic Industries. The tube type seem to come in a variety of lengths (from 7 to 12 inches) and they have a wider range of resistance values that can be had in each length. The tube type get up to $80, the lever type are in the $30 range. I think the determining factor is the resistance range that the gauge expects, and whether or not VDO's lever type units will work (I don't know what the expected resistance range of the 1977 Dodge Aspen is. My 1980 factory service manual shows 10-72 Ohms for 1980, but I don't know if there was a change between 1977 and 1980).

Kostas

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
Like kkritsilas referred to, Mopar's are 10 ohms empty and 72 ohms full (+/- a couple ohms). They were all the same from way back when to at least the '90's, maybe they still are.

greymouser7

Reaction score
You won't find one. Get a late 77 gas tank and 77-89 FILLER NECK, the fuel sending units won't be unobtainable then.

Even Jim's doesn't list it for early models.

Both of those NOS bill fuel sending units are for the later models 77-80,89

Those eBay listings are hundreds of dollars more expensive than rockauto.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Tank-G...are-4002731-/351361347545?hash=item51cec4afd9

and then rockauto for the sending unit, get the filler neck from any fmj in a junk yard or f body parts jim

kkritsilas

Reaction score
It may be a lot cheaper to just measure the depth of the tank (he has to remove the old sender unit anyway if it is going to be replaced) and just get one of the universal ones of the correct length and resistance value. No need to change the tank over if it is in decent shape. The new tank will be at least $120 with shipping, and add a sending unit (around $CAN73.45/`$US60, plus shipping from Rock Auto, who are not showing any Aspen/Volare sending units prior to 1980). Total is pushing the $180 mark, plus whatever Rock Auto will charge for shipping.

From the dimensions of the tank in the eBay listing that shows a depth of 7" (I am assuming outer dimensions) one of the Summit/Classic Industries tube type units 6" long with a 10-72 Ohm resistance range would probably be a good fit. If Summit/Classic Industries has a 6 1/2" long unit, event better. If a 6" long tube unit is used, the gas gauge will go to empty with a little bit of fuel still left in the tank, not a bad thing. Total is about $80, plus whatever Summit charges for shipping.

Kostas

Last edited:

greymouser7

Reaction score
plus shipping from Rock Auto, who are not showing any Aspen/Volare sending units prior to 1980). Total is pushing the $180 mark, plus whatever Rock Auto will charge for shipping
Kostas

I like your idea, but for future reference for others-> SHOULDN'T ANY SENDING UNIT BE THE SAME FROM MID 1977 THRU 1989?

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I don't know for sure either way. Aspen 500 has confirmed that rhe resistance values are the same, but gas tank depth may have varied. The unavualability of the 1976-1979 senders from Rock Auto is a pretty good indication that there is somehting different in the senders, aside from resistance values. While is is always possible that Rock Auto missed something, they are usually quite good at part interchange information.

Kostas

Back