Graveyard Cars

72Dodge

Reaction score
Wait, weren't those the guys that screwed up that Charger? Or was that someone else... pretty sure it was them. If so, I wouldn't let them touch any car of mine.

EDIT: Yeah, it was them.... but I guess it depends on who you believe. I still think if I were going to pay someone to restore a car(s), I'd pay a real shop to do it, not a shop that just wants something nice enough to look good on TV. But, it WOULD be cool to get some attention to F-bodies!

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=113394.0

Last edited:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I've never even seen this graveyard cars show bit it sounds like it might be another case of make them pretty and get then out the door.
I've seen so many bullshit resto's....
A friend had a 69 Road Runner he bought "restored"
He wanted to relocate the battery to the trunk so we pulled the carpet along the door to run the wire.....chunks of missing floor and leftover rust looks pretty nice in B5 I must say....we eventually had to change a few pulleys since the belts didn't line up quite right....and while adding lowering blocks we found that the U bolts were cheapos and it just went on and on.
He sold it a year later......really shabby resto.
But I see it all the time with the must have mopes....mostly B bodies.
They know there's a big market and people wiling to pay so they half ass them.

You should almost be grateful that our cars aren't so lucky.

slant6billy

Reaction score
I believe the Graveyard car guys milk it long to rebuild a car. Not like Overhaulin or the other build a car under a time crunch. As we realize with anything, if you rush it it will not be the best it could. I tell my wife I can do an oil change in 20 minutes. It is all the other things, greasing the front end, inspecting components, and other smart things to do while you have the car up in the air. So when she asks, "why is it taking longer or aren't you done yet?" My bloodpressure goes through the roof. My last build up took just under 5 years and it still ain't done. Wetsanding is needed bad, rear diff cover is cracked (I have a new chrome one with gasket), Brakelines, inner 1/4s are going to get mini tubbs and lower trunk has some issues. I really need a heater core, it is a real must. So when the big snow comes, I'll tear into each of those. Those grave yard guys know details about factory welds, seams, gaps and other mopar uniqueness. Way too much Cliff Clavinish of mopar, but good details.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Like I said I've never even seen a single episode so I don't really know anything about this guy or shop. For all I know some guy is jealous and started bad mouthing their work......or maybe they do cut corners and the show is a load of bull....no clue. THIS is the wonderful world of reality TV.
Which is why I'm sort of glad I haven't has cable in over five years.

Billy.....oil changes?.....don't get me started....
I have a friend......actually a couple who go to those minute lube places and they're just sooooo thrilled that it only takes ten minutes.
Maybe gravity works differently there but in my driveway it takes at least 15 minutes till I'm satisfied that all the last bit of crap has drained out.
Greasing up the front end and inspecting is something I actually pay attention to instead of having an in depth conversation with the guy half assing the car on the next lift. And who knows what kind of bargain mystery crap they're using for oil......that's why I do it myself even though some of my manicured acquaintances think it's too much of a bother.

brotherGood

Reaction score
So, I just watched the episode of GYC where they "finished" the charger that is supposedly crappy. For the mismatch in color, the entire car got repainted...not sure how you can miss something like that. Im just not sure how much I should believe the car owner. Granted, TV can do magical things..but so can Photoshop....especially someone looking make a buck off of someone famous.

The car looked really good in the episode, and in the pictures that were on Facebook when it actually was done.

72Dodge

Reaction score
Yeah, I know. Obviously I don't know who is right since I haven't seen the car in person. What I do know is that low-res internet pictures and TV (which is more low-res than you probably even realize) hides a whole lot. How many times have you seen pics of something on CraigsList or eBay and thought it was nice, then in real life it was crap. Exactly. Anyway, maybe the Charger wasn't so bad, maybe it was, who knows. At least it was saved from the crusher. Whether it was worth what the guy paid GYC to restore it is another question entirely. I never trust any "reality TV", it's all a load of crap, quality of the car aside.

Last edited:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Yeah, I know. Obviously I don't know who is right since I haven't seen the car in person. What I do know is that low-res internet pictures and TV (which is more low-res than you probably even realize) hides a whole lot. How many times have you seen pics of something on CraigsList or eBay and thought it was nice, then in real life it was crap. Exactly. Anyway, maybe the Charger wasn't so bad, maybe it was, who knows. At least it was saved from the crusher. Whether it was worth what the guy paid GYC to restore it is another question entirely. I never trust any "reality TV", it's all a load of crap, quality of the car asid.

Agreed.

Back