Imperial EFI...

NoCar340

Reaction score
...modern style!

Modified brand-new Holley Strip Dominator intake, Motorvation 1100CFM throttle body, & custom fuel rails sitting atop Delphi 55lb/hr injectors (not pictured). Luxury, indeed!

P1130005.jpg

P1130003.jpg

P1130005.jpg

P1130003.jpg

Eldervampire

Reaction score
OOOOOOO.....

Question, is this mounted on the original 318? This may be the way I have to go if I can't find a way to keep the original system running and get more power out of it. Or if the right car comes along and lack the original DFI.

NoCar340

Reaction score
I'm not really sure what engine I'm going to use it on for a final combo, but it's starting out on a 360. I'm also using distributorless ignition. There's still much to do, such as make some custom brackets for the coils & fuel rails, running lines, etc. I'm going to break the engine in with a ThermoQuad & distributor just to be safe, then inch my way into programming the EFI for the engine.

NoCar340

Reaction score
Nope, it'll have AC just as God and Mother intended. Ye of little faith...

83Imp

Reaction score
Nope, it'll have AC just as God and Mother intended. Ye of little faith...

As the stock AC/ALT bracket will position the AC compressor right over the water outlet on this intake, what are you planning on doing instead (what year(s) small block bracketry/pulleys are you going with)?

My imp

Reaction score
Summit will sell you a serpentine belt set up that'll let you run air on a 6 bbl., so this should be no sweat! RV-2 was always the coolest looking compressor anyways! lol Too big, too heavy, but a good solid piece for the era. Another Mopar home run!

NoCar340

Reaction score
I like it. How much is that setup?
Well, the intake is discontinued but was about $300 new (not polished). I didn't pay to have it modded, so I'd guess another $300-$500 there. The rails? I don't know, they came with the intake when I bought it, but they're billet rail stock custom-machined for the intake and may have been included in the conversion. The throttle body is around $700; the Delphi FJ10475 injectors are around $400 for the set if you shop around. PCM, wiring, etc. fall into the "how much do you want to spend?" category.

Now's the part where I make y'all twitch a little. I have less than $350 into the parts pictured, including shipping, and yes--everything is brand new.

As far as AC/accessory fitment, it's going to be a custom setup. I knew that going into this build. It first turned ugly with the distributorless ignition, since I have to work in a 36-1 trigger wheel somewhere at the crankshaft. I have leeway to work so I'm using a custom pulley setup based around a single serpentine belt (the only Magnum part I plan to use is the tensioner). The compressor may end up offset toward the driver's side; I won't know until I get it in the car. It will be a smaller Sanden unit than the factory piece. I did consider The Thumper (RV2), but those things are so bloody noisy and heavy that I ruled it out quickly.

How does a guy make all this work? Have two jobs; one is a parts store where we make custom AC lines, and another where the boss is a brilliant fabricator to guide me and has all the toys (plasma cutter, TIG, equipment ad nauseum). He's also a total gearhead with a supercharged 1500-horse alcohol-fed mud truck.

Believe me, this build gets way uglier than just running accessories with MPFI. Accessories are about 4th on my list of concerns.

NoCar340

Reaction score
I finally rounded out my fuel system parts. I found 8 more injectors (meaning I have 4 spares) bringing my total outlay on those to $192, which is much better than the $60 each they normally bring (55lb/hr Delphis). I also got my fuel pump, which is an in-tank Walbro capable of 450L/hr as well as my Aeromotive regulator and 10-micron AllStar huge-by-large fuel filter. The only problem I foresee is getting the pump into the fairly-shallow tank, but if the factory could do it I'm sure I can. I have to get the car here before I can start laying everything out, though, and I still have to determine what I'm going to do for fuel-rail hold-downs.

I also finished the parts gathering for the distributorless ignition today with the arrival of my EDIS-8 module plug. I've got the Davis Unified coils already as well as MSD wires & EDIS-style coil terminal adapters/clips to customize the wires to fit. I'm using a Dorman Ford-replacement trigger wheel to let the module know what's happening at the crank, which will be custom-machined to work with the new harmonic dampener & serpentine crank pulley.

Other than odds and ends, the only things I really need to get still are the dual wideband EGO sensors & their controllers. However, the odds and ends will add up pretty quickly, since I need a boatload of stainless pipe & aluminum tubing for the increasingly-ridiculous prospect of plumbing this nightmare together workably.

I also got my AC compressor, which is from a 3.7L Jeep application. It's about as small as I could find with the correct capacities; there are some tiny ones out there but I don't think they'd move enough through the somewhat large condenser and evaporator of the Imperial. I'm not going to worry about the accessory nightmare until after the 360 is broken in, though. I'll just use what's on the 318 now along with my 340 intake & TQ for that procedure. Baby steps...

I have to go to Kentucky for work tomorrow and will be gone until Sunday (anyone else going to the Mid-America Trucking Show?), then the following weekend we plan to head down to Alabama to fetch my Challenger, so it'll still be a few weeks until I can get the Imperial back here. It looks like the weather may finally crack this weekend but barring a mid-week miracle, it'll have to wait until the weekend of April 12th.

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
for fuel rail hold downs, put the injectors in the intake, put the fuel rails on, and make some tabs that kinda wrap around the tops of the rails, and down to a couple of the intake bolts

NoCar340

Reaction score
I thought about that, but I don't want to potentially compromise the intake seal if I have to change an injector. The rails have nice countersunk bolt holes in them for hold-downs, so I think I'm gonna have boss-man TIG some vertical stands onto the intake that align with them.

NoCar340

Reaction score
Oh, just you wait until you see the thrilling new show scheduled for later this year. Hopefully it will not be replaced by "The Big Bang Theory"...

NoCar340

Reaction score
Well, while I was in Kentucky my B&M flexplate arrived to balance the 360 & bolt to the stock converter in the Imperial. Mixed feelings on that, since it'll only be in the car a matter of weeks and then I'll have no use for it anymore. My exhaust resonators landed today (AP #700196), which ought to be a real treat to squeeze into place out back since there's no room by the fuel tank as built. Still trying to determine whether I'm going to section the tank; Once the car's home I'll drop the tank for both this reason and to look into the fuel-pump fitment situation.

Ordered my pair of Innovate LC-2 wideband lambda (O2) controllers & sensors today, one for each bank, as well as my "Allflow" dummy catalytic converters. Those things are so simple they're brilliant: a catalytic converter case welded to the outside of a piece of straight pipe. Inexpensive, too: $40 for stainless steel, which is what I chose, and $35 for aluminized. We don't have emissions testing, which I suspect the car would breeze through anyhow with MPFI, but the local police like to look under cars & trucks to see if the converters are in place. I sold a number of them via the store I used to manage, and the gendarmes fall for 'em every time. :eusa_dance:

Scotty from Star Trek called from my wallet this afternoon... "She cahn't take mooch mohr ah dis, Cap'n!" :eusa_doh:

80 Lebaron Coupe

Reaction score
I like the dummy cat too, They do a visual here but thats it for older vehicles.

Shove some Dilythium Crystals in there and tell Scotty to hush!

88 SWB 4X4 013.jpg

88 SWB 4X4 013.jpg

Back