Mostly M-body stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoCar340

Reaction score
Don't worry about it. Like I said, I consider it tuition paid for a lesson learned. We're good.

My imp

Reaction score
Why can't we meet at an event? We wouldn't hammer each other like that. I am showing my lack of knowledge here, but, how would they charge me from going to Canada, vs. a Canadian coming here? It has to be cheaper. Or if I go to Canada & purchase in country, then return to US, or, if you purchase here, then return home w/parts? Get a list going, & do it once a month, etc...

NoCar340

Reaction score
Another option for small parts would be to organize one large box a month to someone on the other side of the border who could then re-distribute the packages to be mailed in-country. So, let's say I'm mailing a box to the Captain, but kkritsilas is supposed to receive something from My imp. Imp ships to me, I ship to Capt., he pulls out Kostas' stuff and drops it in the mail. Ovbiously, it's just an example and I'm not nailing anyone to some kind of responsibility (especially me, since shipping that box was a nightmare all the way around, not just the price) but it might save a few bucks if across-border customers split up the overall cost, regardless of direction of travel.

As far as having Canadian stuff shipped here, it's been so long since I've done gotten anything that way I really don't know.

My imp

Reaction score
Why not give it a shot? There used to be a bunch of businesses that bought & sold rust free sheet metal from down south, to we Yankees. Try to find someone now. Has the market dried up that much? I would think it would be much more lucrative, due to age & attrition. Sounds good, however, I have no passport. I understand them to be quite expensive these days. As long as it doesn't get too big, the last thing I need is for some newbie that no one knows, decide it'd great for them to try & sneak something over the border with our parts runs.

NoCar340

Reaction score
I guess it's going to be up to someone that lives near the Yank/Canuck border on both sides, really. As far north as I am, I'm several hours from the border.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
My headlight bezels showed up today.
Very nice!!!
All they need is a good polish which I can do with the jar of Nano polish you included!!! Thanks again. Goods are as described or better.
Pleasure doing business with you! :D

NoCar340

Reaction score
Excellent! Glad they're up to snuff. They even got there more quickly than I expected, which is cool. :eusa_dance:

Let me know how that polish works. I got it at one of my old jobs and never used it... when I got it home, I realized I had 3 jars of the Mother's equivalent already open. :icon_biggrin: It was sitting on a shelf while I was packing those, so I threw it in there. I told ya you'd get some use out of the "freebie"...

Thanks for being so patient during my tribulations to ship 'em. Now I just gotta hear if all's well with 72Dodge's wiring harness, which was supposed to arrive to him today.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Excellent! Glad they're up to snuff. They even got there more quickly than I expected, which is cool. :eusa_dance:

Let me know how that polish works. I got it at one of my old jobs and never used it... when I got it home, I realized I had 3 jars of the Mother's equivalent already open. :icon_biggrin: It was sitting on a shelf while I was packing those, so I threw it in there. I told ya you'd get some use out of the "freebie"...

Thanks for being so patient during my tribulations to ship 'em. Now I just gotta hear if all's well with 72Dodge's wiring harness, which was supposed to arrive to him today.

Yes Sir...bezels look great. Better than what I have that's for sure.
I'll give you the verdict on the polish....thanks again!!

kkritsilas

Reaction score
My Imp:

A Canadian bringing stuff up from the US must declare its value at the border. If the stay in the US was 48 hours or longer, up to $750 worth can be brought back without duties. Taxes will be charged, but I think only the Federal part (5%, but not sure about that).

There is a similar idea with cars, but the process is a little more involved. There is a bunch of paperwork involved, and if the car is older than 15-16 years, it is a lot easier, as it is considered a collectible, and not in competition with car dealers in Canada. The majority of the paperwork is to ensure that the car is legally owned by the person trying to bring it over the border.

As for US citizens bringing in parts, I don't know for sure. You may have to declare them at the border, but probably be brought in tax and duty free if they are just some collector parts (i.e. not commercial/retail quantities).

US citizens returning to the US with a car or car parts bought in Canada, no idea. You would need to find the US Customs and Immigration web site and look it up.

Meeting at an event is sort of dependent on where the event is in relation to where the message board members are. Most of the big Mopar meets are days, if not a week or more away from me ( in Calgary, Alberta), so I tend to go to the ones that are a lot more local. Carlisle, PA is about 3500-3700 KM/2174-2300 Miles from me. Which is probably 4 days to and 4 days from there for me. I still may end up going some day, but I will end up using pretty much all of my vacation time. Even with the cost of shipping, it still is cheaper than paying for 2200-2300 miles worth of gas. Others who live closer may be able to do that.

Kostas

Kostas

Last edited:

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I'd participate in the large box to Canada, and then dispersing within Canada wholeheartedly. We should work out the shipping costs first, though. It may be possible that shipping smaller items individually works out to be cheaper than putting a bunch of them into a bigger heavier box. Really depends on how the shipping rates increase with the size/weight of box. If the shipping costs increase at a faster rate than the increase in the weight/size of the box, it may not be cost effective.

I shipped two Cordoba rear fender caps (the rubberized ends (the ones that everybody says disintegrate over time) that cover the end of the fender and the ends of the rear bumper) to Modoba (I think) last year. The cost was like $120 for shipping using Canada Post. Canada Post is more expensive than US Postal Service, from my experience. Box probably weighed less than 10 lbs., but it was physically a large box.

Kostas

Last edited:

My imp

Reaction score
Kostas,
Not to be an ass, but now I know how you get free health care! Obviously, it all started with good intentions, & on one hand the govt. should be commended for trying to protect the auto dealers intrest. But greed is greed. The actions of a few dimmented individuals have brought this on the rest of the world. Back in the day, you never needed a passport to cross the border. Something like this isn't being done to get rich on. It's merely one neighbor doing another neighbor a favor. I'm beginning to see why no one does it. If you do it enough times, each govt. is going to want a piece of the action. IMHO taxes were paid when the parts were new. Even if they're in an unopened, unused condition, chances are that taxes were already paid. Unless it's a business using tax exemption to get out of paying taxes. There should be some form of compensation for the drivers, call it a handling fee. Why should someone spend their cash to deliver someone else's parts. We could start our own monthly cruise-ins for the added bonus of exchanging parts. I'll look into a few things on this end to see what's required. Thanks for all the info. Sounds like the shipping is more than the cost of all but the most expensive of parts. There has to be a way around this. It can't be all that easy to do, or there's not enough money in it, or everyone with a vehicle, & no job would be doing it. Detroit & New York are the two closest ways for me to drive into Canada. There's the Lake Erie ferry's, but I'm sure that's a whole different can of worms bringing parts across that way. I'm sure they have a no commercial rule.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
The polish works pretty well.

2014-02-13 21.58.48.jpg

2014-02-13 21.58.48.jpg

kkritsilas

Reaction score
No disagreement from me. I don't like the rules, but I do have to abide by them. Only in the last few years (2 maybe 3) has it been a requirement to have a passport to cross into the US. Not to point fingers, because the politicians on both sides of the border are running wild, but this was brought on by Homeland Security.

As for the taxation stuff, for us on the board, this is a real concern, but isn't the only example. In Quebec, where I grew up, a used car, even when purchased from an individual, is taxed everytime it changes hands. You can buy the car, and pay the former owner. When you go to register the car, you get hit with sales tax which must be paid before you can register the car. It doesn't matter how many times the car changes hands. And the value of the car comes out of a Blue book type evaluation, regardless of the actual amount of money paid.

Most of this really only has a very minor impact from the free health care. It has more to do with supporting a very bloated and highly paid civil service. Health care costs in almost all provinces is NOT the highest budgetary item; wages are. All civil servants are unionized, and those union contracts are completely out of line (read far more expensive) than equivalent private sector rates would be. Multiply that out by the size of the civil service in terms of how many civil servant employees there are, and you get the current state of affairs. Then there is the inherent waste of governments in general. Strange thing is, the Canadian government will have a budgetary surplus next year.

When the Canadian dollar was at parity with the US dollar, there were a lot of cars being brought up from the US. Due to the Canadian dealerships complaining, the rules for bringing up cars from the US were tightened up substantially. Interesting part is that the government, in a budget that was just announced Tuesday, is setting up a board to investigate why things are so much cheaper in the US than in Canada.

See the first part about politicians running wild.

Kostas

My imp

Reaction score
Scare the constituency into submission! Being a former civil servant, our wages weren't as high as the private sector, but the benefits were better than most. When you were hired on, you were told you'd never get rich here, but the benefits are great. Now, the wages haven't gone up in 5 yrs, & the benefits have gotten CONSIDERATELY worse. Now they pay a portion of their health care, have deductibles, higher co-pays, less choice of Dr.'s, etc.. According to political types down here, the problem is the retirees. All their pensions, benefits, etc.. cost more than the current staff. Maybe so, but that's TOTAL BULLSH!T! You sign a contract that guarantees whatever it guarantees, & who the F do they think they are, changing the terms, after we've retired! We fullfilled our part of the collective bargain, now that it's their turn, they can't afford it! Our former school board president is rotting in jail right now for corruption, embezzlement, racketeering, + a host of other sealed indictments. He turn rat, & fingered all his cronies for shortened sentence. Gee, I wonder why they don't have the money to pay us? I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they find a way to screw me too! When I lived in Fla. back in the '80's a bunch of Canadians used to tell me about taxes & collector cars. I thought it sucked then! Bet you wish you had those tax laws again! The rich keep getting richer, the poor keep getting poorer. My luck, it'd be against the law, & I'll be rotting in jail next to my old board president! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back