int lift at valve .488
ext lift at valve .510
duration .050 int 234 ext 244
Lobe seperation 112
edelbrock camshaft part # 7177

image.jpg

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
on a street car? thats usually not legal. they make baffles so you can have open and mufflers. so it can stay a legal street car. they even have electric ones that all you have to do is push a button and they open.

aspen77rt

Reaction score
It's a street car but I want somewhat of a rough idle

That is a chevy lobbed cam. Cam card says 10" of vacuum. Good luck with that with power brakes. It will probably get you the sound you want. Match the cam to your combo. You'll be a lot happier with the performance, not sound of your car. Much better grinds out there. Look at Comp, Lunati, Hughes, Howards, or just go custom grind. I wouldnt use that cam for anything other than a door stop.

What are your engine specs, what transmission, rear gear, and how honestly are you going to use the car?

Last edited:

aspen77rt

Reaction score
I think anything over .047 duration has a nice rough idle. so .050 should sound mean

camshaft overlap. It is the overlap that gives a cam its lope, but there are several factors that determine overlap. Cam duration, LSA, and ramp design.

Valve overlap causes misfires at idle and that makes the lope or choppy idle. It causes a lot of intake reversion which causes the engine to basically choke on it’s own exhaust during idle. The more the overlap the more the lope will be.

Last edited:

Aspen79

Reaction score
That is a chevy lobbed cam. Cam card says 10" of vacuum. Good luck with that with power brakes. It will probably get you the sound you want. Match the cam to your combo. You'll be a lot happier with the performance, not sound of your car. Much better grinds out there. Look at Comp, Lunati, Hughes, Howards, or just go custom grind. I wouldnt use that cam for anything other than a door stop.

What are your engine specs, what transmission, rear gear, and how honestly are you going to use the car?

360 .030 over stock stroke, edelbrock 63 cc RPM heads and intake. Pocket ported and intake matched.MSD ignition system.
727 tranny (rebuild)
4.10:1 gear
it going to be a street car I drive on the weekend and
to car meets. I plan on street racing and maybe a little track time too
28X9X15 tire
that cam is what edelbrock recommend with them heads and intake. They calms it will make 415 hp

aspen77rt

Reaction score
In the Aspen, I was running the MP761 Cam. Not a match for the combo I had at the time, sounded like a tiger, real lopey, sound wasnt what I was going for. It needed more compression and gear. I was running magnum heads so the rocker ratio was 1.6 and that raised the lift on the MP761 to .480/.485. Over cammed it IMO. In hindsight I would have went with a Comp Cams XE262 or Lunati Voodoo 256/262. But my days messing with flat tappet cams is over. All hydraulic roller for me now.

MP761 Specs
Adv. Duration: 268°/272°
Dur. @ .050'': 228°/231°
Lift: .450''/.455''
Centerline: 110°
Overlap: 50 degrees

Match the cam to your combo and how your going to use the car. You be happier with the results. Sound is nothing if it's a dog.

Aspen79

Reaction score
Yeah so my cam is slightly bigger that the one you ran. I also have 10.7:1 CR

Aspen79

Reaction score
In the Aspen, I was running the MP761 Cam. Not a match for the combo I had at the time, sounded like a tiger, real lopey, sound wasnt what I was going for. It needed more compression and gear. I was running magnum heads so the rocker ratio was 1.6 and that raised the lift on the MP761 to .480/.485. Over cammed it IMO. In hindsight I would have went with a Comp Cams XE262 or Lunati Voodoo 256/262. But my days messing with flat tappet cams is over. All hydraulic roller for me now.

MP761 Specs
Adv. Duration: 268°/272°
Dur. @ .050'': 228°/231°
Lift: .450''/.455''
Centerline: 110°
Overlap: 50 degrees

Match the cam to your combo and how your going to use the car. You be happier with the results. Sound is nothing if it's a dog.

Do you have a video of the car idling I would LOVE to hear it

aspen77rt

Reaction score
360 .030 over stock stroke, edelbrock 63 cc RPM heads and intake. Pocket ported and intake matched.MSD ignition system.
727 tranny (rebuild)
4.10:1 gear
it going to be a street car I drive on the weekend and
to car meets. I plan on street racing and maybe a little track time too

Nice

Do yourself a favor and call Lunati or Comp.

Or just get a custom grind would be what I would do. They are not that more expensive than an OTS cam.

aspen77rt

Reaction score
Do you have a video of the car idling I would LOVE to hear it

No sir I dont. I wish I had, I did like how it sounded..lol. It had headman tight tubes, magnaflows, and 3" dual exhaust going out the rear. Yes 3" duals, the previous owner, bless his heart, put it on before he sold it to me. Brand spanking new. Running lean was a problem obviously. Check my gallery for pics. Quite hilarious the s@&% people do.

Back