OK, Let's talk Dakota frames...

Greg55_99

Reaction score
It seems the subject of the Dakota frame keeps coming up in relation to the F-M-J. Ok, let's discuss. What would it take to swap something like that. Or.... what would be the advantage (or disadvantage). Or... why?

Greg

ramenth

Reaction score
Swapping the entire frame?

First off, my biggest question is: why?

Just like all our unibody Mopars the platform has the best transfer of power to the ground than over, say a full framed Caprice. With a few add-on's, like frame connectors and torque boxes you can give the body a little more rigidity and still be able to put the power to the ground better.

Ever take a body off a full frame Chevy, say, to put it on a rotisserie? Better have it braced from one end to the other. Put a unibody in the air, and unless it's a convertible, bracing isn't an issue.

The work involved would put me off. And if you've seen pics of the some of the things I'm building I'm not afraid of work.

77RTNJ

Reaction score
A lot of the discussion comes up with the dakota and m-bodies as the M was used in early design studies of the dakota development. Back in the 80's when they were considering a small pickup, they were using the M Chassis to see about a unibody small pickup like the FWD Rampage they had at the time, but rear wheel drive. The articles were in AutoWeek, but I don't know if I still have the mags in storage. It was around 1983 or 84, about the time I had my Shelby Charger.

i myself would not necessarily use the frame but more of the front subframe to see if it lines up, because then Rack and pinion steering is an option, which would be a great help on the handling of our cars.

What is quite funny is that in some of the rumored design studies for a new dakota replacement, was the possibility of a Uni-body rear wheel drive pickup, most likely in the same vein as the New Grand Cherokee and Durango.

Kevin

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
I have a Dakota with that rack and pinion steering and I agree with Kevin. See if a mod would be available to put that in some of our older cars. The early Dakota's had a factory recall for it, they had to repair some welds on the rack brackets because they were breaking off.

77RTNJ

Reaction score
Eric,

I have looked for Rack and pinion options, but they all entail changing out the K-frame to one like the Alter-K-tion ones. And from what I understand those are only really good for occasional use, not if you used it more like a daily driver. they just won't hold up.

The thing with the M being used as a mule always stuck in my mind as I thought it was neat to try to make a small pickup like that. I had actually driven in one of the rampages and thought that a rear wheel drive little pickup similar to that would be pretty neat.

kevin

Greg55_99

Reaction score
Conversation I had a couple years back on Moparts:

I actually have a 77 Volare Road Runner and was looking at replacing the torsion bar front end with a Dakota setup. I've looked at the Industrial Chassis product but, if I can section a stock Dakota frame, that would be a lot simpler. Can you post some more pics of how you did this?

Greg
---------------------------------------

Am I understanding you want to replace the trosion bar suspension on a 77 Road Runner (Volare) with a clip from a Dakota? Are we talking about still under the Runner, or do you have the Road Runner suspension under an old car and want to replace it?

If its still under the Road Runner, you are looking at a major swap. The Road Runner (Volare) is a unibody car, removing that suspension to install a Dakota clip will require removing everything from the firewall forward, then figure out how to attach the Dakota frame to the unibody car undercarage. The Dakota frame rails should sit inside the Volare "rails" but the Volare front subframe connection to the trans cross member is a weak link at best to begin with. You will probably end up fabricating brackets to connect the Dakota frame to the Volare rocker boxes. Can be done, just not easy.

If you have a Volare clip under an old car, you still have to cut off the frame from the firewall forward to remove the Volare clip, then attach the Dakota clip to the existing original frame. At least Mopars built before 57 still have a real box style full length frame under them, and the Dakota frame rails (also a box style frame) match up about the firewall very well.

The Dakota frame of choice would be the 87-90 because they still had the 5 on 4 1/2" bolt pattern wheels. The next generation Dakota, 91-96 have the 6 bolt wheel pattern, but the parts can be swapped to the older stuff by simply bolting on the older stuff. The 96 & up Dakota also have the 6 bolt wheels, but the older stuff does not simply bolt on, its easier to just keep the 6 bolt wheels.

You will have to let us know what your working on. Gene

------------------------------------
Hello Gene,
Thank you for the response. I don't want to derail this thread, so I'll be as brief as possible. The car is a 77 Volare with the torsion bar subframe still under it. My intent is to remove the complete F body subrame and work from there. The Dakota setup has the advantage of coil springs and rack and pinion. That, I like. The Volare frame rails are just a hair over 34" outside to outside, similar to many street rods. I like the Industrial Chassis setup. I realize there is a lot of work involved, but it doesn't scare me. There is a bolt in option from Alterktion, but at $5K, it's a bit expensive. I've looked at other home brew options like the 03-07 Ford Crown Victoria front crossmember (lower A arms too long and won't fit in the F body properly) and the Lexus SC300\400 front suspension (Same lower A arm problem and coilover issue needs resolution). The Dakota appears to be the most swap friendly in my application. I'm not talking about cutting out my frame and grafting in a Dakota package like you guys are doing, I'm talking about possibly sectioning the Dakota crossmember and welding that between the Volare frame rails.

Any pics or ideas on how to accomplish that would be helpful. I'd like to see how the springs and shocks are mounted in that situation.

Greg

-----------------------------------
As long as you understand that your "frame rails" are nothing but formed 16 guage sheet metal with an extra piece of 16 g slid inside and spot welded at reinforcing points, I suppose you can section a Dakota frame, made from 11 guage steel in a near square form, if you want. At least your Volare looks cleaner then the ones around here.

The tread on "updating your 49-51 frame" has demensions of a 92 Dakota frame listed from a factory service manual. That would be a good place to start from, at least it tells you where everything is suppose to be. You may end up cutting holes in your inner fenders for upper shock mounts, or shock clearance. Be very carefull here, those Volare body structures are very light duty, that was why the suspension was mounted on the heavy guage K member, to add in support. I ran a few of those on the local dirt track, did not hold up well at all. Gene

-------------------------------------------
Greg, Gotta ask, are you just updating the suspension, or are you building a race car of some sort? Are you installing a roll bar/cage? What you intend on doing with the car as a final outcome will have a huge effect on how you want to modify the front suspension.

Years ago, I grafted a C body front frame onto a Duster, but that car was a dirt track car with over 150' of tubing in it. The "new" front end had more then a floor pan and inner fenders for support.

The mid 70s B body had a real beefy subframe that a straight torsion bar suspension bolted to, that one you could have pretty well done anything you wanted to with. Even the last A bodys had decent subframes under them. The Volare was the only Mopar I ever raced that had the subframe seperate from the trans crossmember in an accident, and that happened with 2 different cars. Understand my concerns with a Volare?

Were I doing your car, I would probably graft the Dakota frame, back to the transmission crossmember area, onto and in place of your existing subframe. The Dakota frame is straight to back to the rear axle kickup, I might even cut the Dakota frame into your floor pan back to your cars rear subframe, think weld in frame connectors, and weld the dakota frame into your floor pans and tie them to the rockers. Along with reinstalling (welding back on) your modified inner fenders (to clear the shocks) and reinstalling your rad support should give you enough strength to run without a cage. If you are adding a cage, adding a front hoop will eliminate the need to reinstall the inner fenders and rad support, unless you wanted to. It would be a lot of work. Gene

---------------------------------------
Hello Gene,
I'll be running a strictly street car with a 440 dropped in. No roll cage, no racing. Just better handling. My thoughts were to surgically remove the front crossmember from the Dakota and weld that onto the existing Volare front frame rails. I'm also going to tie the front and rear frame together. I will also be removing the upper support brace above the transmission mount to make space for a Tremec TKO. So, no dirt track, no quarter mile.

After listening to you, it appears the Alterktion front suspension might be the better deal.

Greg

--------------------------
Greg,
Got a link to this "Alterktion" front suspension? I do not know what it is.

The issue I see with just using the Dakota front crossmember on the Volare rails is the difference in physical size of the Dakota crossmember compaired to the physical size of the Volare rails. The guage thickness difference between the 2 is not considered at this point. The Dakota crossmember is a 4-5" box where the Volare rails are about 3 1/2" high. Then once you take into count the guage thickness between the Dakota at about 11 guage and the Volare at about 16 guage, the difference in physical size could become a real problem, esspecially when you consider that is the same location as both the upper and lower control arms and the 440 engine mounts. That seems like a lot of load for 16 guage frame rails to me.

I still think a better plan would be to remove your front subframe, and install the Dakota frame, complete, back far enough to connect to your rear subframe. Then weld the Dakota frame into the car floor pans, rear sub frames, and reattach the cars front inner fenders and rad support to the Dakota frame. Basically your replacing your light duty frame with one from a Dakota and also using that same Dakota frame as your frame connectors. Then all you would have to do would be follow the link above to the 440 engine mounts in a Dakota frame and your set. All the factory engineering is still in place on the Dakota frame and you can use stock suspension parts and allignment specs. Gene

--------------------------

.... and that's what I know.....

Not my pic.... I found it on the net. Dak frame with a big block.... I get ideas.....

Greg

Dakota_frame_cut22.jpg

Last edited:

ramenth

Reaction score
I suppose that if you're looking at sectioning in the front portion of the frame a close and careful study of how the first gen Camaros went together might be a bad idea. I'd give you pics, but the '69 Firebird convertible I'm sitting on is sitting in storage right now.

joeblo

Reaction score
I have done some crazy thing before, but I don't see any sense in this. You can put a rack and pinion in a f,m,j body for $600.00. And are coil overs really better than torsion bars?

ramenth

Reaction score
Eric,

I have looked for Rack and pinion options, but they all entail changing out the K-frame to one like the Alter-K-tion ones.

Here's a link to a rack set up that'll bolt to our K's. http://www.weedetrstreetrod.com/item107600.ctlg

Meant for the swap going into Ford trucks, but I wonder how it would work in the OE platform?

77RTNJ said:
And from what I understand those are only really good for occasional use, not if you used it more like a daily driver. they just won't hold up.

And who told you this? I'm not disputing it what you've said, but every Alter-K owner I've dealt with has said otherwise.

Erhenberg's made the comment once or twice, but I don't think he's had real world experience with it either. He's also continually making the comment that our brake set up's can't be used in the earlier platforms, when real world experience has shown different.

77RTNJ said:
The thing with the M being used as a mule always stuck in my mind as I thought it was neat to try to make a small pickup like that. I had actually driven in one of the rampages and thought that a rear wheel drive little pickup similar to that would be pretty neat.
kevin

Makes me wonder why Chrysler abandoned the idea? The ealier A and later B vans were unibodies with some serious GVW ratings.

Last edited:

ramenth

Reaction score
I have done some crazy thing before, but I don't see any sense in this. You can put a rack and pinion in a f,m,j body for $600.00. And are coil overs really better than torsion bars?

Which is my question. The Camaros weren't that great handling cars compared to our t-bars. That front subframe design sucked. Left a lot of flex in the car itself.

bill55az

Reaction score
I like the idea of using as much of the dakota frame as possible, trimming it to fit all the way back to the rear subframe.....
Thanks for posting this....

Greg55_99

Reaction score
I like the idea of using as much of the dakota frame as possible, trimming it to fit all the way back to the rear subframe.....
Thanks for posting this....

Hotrodding at it's finest....

Greg

DakotaSus9.jpg

DakotaSus12.jpg

Last edited:

bill55az

Reaction score
gots to finish the 89 dak first.....rebuilding front suspension now, then engine and trans go back in....
I won't molest the dippy coupe, but if I can find another wagon, I will look into it....
Getting any? rain, that is.....plan on being in Houston again this spring...when are dewberries ready to pick?

77RTNJ

Reaction score
Ramenth,

what i have read is that the frame itself is ok, it is the suspension pieces that are not up to using as a daily driver. Ok for a show or drag car. Plus the cost is outrageous.
I have no problem with the torsion bar setup, just would prefer a rack over the old gear. I think mopar action has the alterktion on one of their current cars.

I took a look at that rack setup, but it is for the ford trucks, would like to know if it fits. I think the problem is it will either hang down too much or interfere with the oil pan. Would like to see one installed. I will be pullling my whole k'frame off and engine out this winter. I may try to get a rack from a u-pull it cheap and see if there is any room for one.

For why they switched, What I remember reading is that they switched it to frame because the studies showed that guys buying a pickup, wanted it to be on a frame.

Kevin

bill55az

Reaction score
I have a document camera that connects to my computer via USB, and service manuals for dakota and FMJ, gonna try to get some pics that will overlay, same scale, etc. and see how they look....

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
hmmm, interesting. dunno why i never thought of this as i have a 87 dak frame and a 87 5th ave. but the dak frame is being used for my 47 dodge truck. the frame would benifit me more for my application, as i put my car under a LOT of stress (see pics below), though i do have frame connectors and the solid k-frame mounts with the shock towers welded to the frame rails, i would rather have a full frame, plus the coil front suspension would make it a lot eaiser to work with

5thave045.jpg

20100718_15.jpg

ramenth

Reaction score
hmmm, interesting. dunno why i never thought of this as i have a 87 dak frame and a 87 5th ave. but the dak frame is being used for my 47 dodge truck. the frame would benifit me more for my application, as i put my car under a LOT of stress (see pics below), though i do have frame connectors and the solid k-frame mounts with the shock towers welded to the frame rails, i would rather have a full frame, plus the coil front suspension would make it a lot eaiser to work with

5thave045.jpg

20100718_15.jpg

spike! Welcome aboard!

ramenth

Reaction score
Ramenth,

what i have read is that the frame itself is ok, it is the suspension pieces that are not up to using as a daily driver. Ok for a show or drag car. Plus the cost is outrageous.

Sure you're not thinking about the magnumforce suspension, bud? The Alter-K uses modern Mustang pieces for the suspension. I don't see many Mustangs sitting along side the road due to catastrophic failure from the suspension. (Just the rear ends! :icon_biggrin: )

77RTNJ said:
I have no problem with the torsion bar setup, just would prefer a rack over the old gear. I think mopar action has the alterktion on one of their current cars.

I agree with the torsion bar suspension. I've had good luck modifying 'em to perform. Get the Stage 2 box from Firm Feel if you're unhappy with the current set up. Cheaper than a rack and tight.

bill55az

Reaction score
I copied from service manuals the needed pics, had to resize them to make all have the same wheelbase on paper. They didn't use the same scale on the Dak drawings as the FMJ drawings.
The Dak frame is a bit short ahead of the front tires, a good thing if you are dropping an FMJ on a Dak frame. The Dak frame has a different rise where the rear seats would be, means not having a thick cushioned comfy rear seat bottom. And of course the trunk area would have to be cut out and made to fit the rear of the Dak frame. It would probablly be easier to keep the rear frame of the FMJ and splice it to the Dak frame.
I think the biggest issue is the height of the engine as it sits on the frame. Looks like the Dak engine sits quite a bit higher....certainly the tranny hump does....I suspect a dakota hump would have to be put into the FMJ but then the drive shaft will be at a steeper angle.

Back