Our Vehicles Value And Or Parts We May Need

Monkeyed

Reaction score
what's a cbr?

it's basically a Honda made Ninja. Superbike, crotch rocket, whatever you want to call it. kind of a dime a dozen around here really. there's a nice race track about 20 minutes north of here that you can turn both left AND right on.

F body Deconstructor Jim

Reaction score
N.O.S. will almost always be high priced, unfortunately. With places like Brads, GLNOS, Mitchels, etc. figuring they wont sell many but if they are the only game in town and someone HAS to play...well.

The aftermarket doesnt see the value in reproduction parts for the FMJ since they dont see the completed/restored cars bringing the $'s the E and B bodies have. I've spoken with a couple of them and thats the jist of the conversations.

I've checked on the tooling costs to just make a lower 1/4 patch panel. Its insane unless I off-shore it and deal with the extended back and forth when it inevitably isnt correct, doesnt fit right and in the end its not that much cheaper. I certainly cant afford the potential loss of a 6 figure outlay to get it up and going. When selling over 1000 pcs is the break-even...gulp...Its well beyond my comfort zone.

When I get my hands on a car to part I try to save every piece thats good/useable, not just sheetmetal and other steel parts. Every nut and bolt, clip, clamp, cable, screw and bracket. Bag it and tag it! Who knows what odd-ball part someone (or myself!) might need. There are literally hundreds of labeled boxes/containers on the shelves of my shop, shed and garage.

I get more looks when I'm out and about in my 76 Aspen wagon daily driver than I ever imagined I would. People coming up to me in parking lots telling me about the one they rode around in when they were a kid. Of course I would rather they didnt say things like "Oh, my grandfather had one just like it"...that doesnt do well for the ol' ego, does it? :sad1: :icon_biggrin:
I have yet to see another F wagon on the road here in Phoenix. I know one guy who has a gorgeous red 78 V wagon but he doesnt take it out a lot.

Sorry if I got to rambling...:sleepy1: :icon_biggrin:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
N.O.S. will almost always be high priced, unfortunately. With places like Brads, GLNOS, Mitchels, etc. figuring they wont sell many but if they are the only game in town and someone HAS to play...well.

The aftermarket doesnt see the value in reproduction parts for the FMJ since they dont see the completed/restored cars bringing the $'s the E and B bodies have. I've spoken with a couple of them and thats the jist of the conversations.

I've checked on the tooling costs to just make a lower 1/4 patch panel. Its insane unless I off-shore it and deal with the extended back and forth when it inevitably isnt correct, doesnt fit right and in the end its not that much cheaper. I certainly cant afford the potential loss of a 6 figure outlay to get it up and going. When selling over 1000 pcs is the break-even...gulp...Its well beyond my comfort zone.

When I get my hands on a car to part I try to save every piece thats good/useable, not just sheetmetal and other steel parts. Every nut and bolt, clip, clamp, cable, screw and bracket. Bag it and tag it! Who knows what odd-ball part someone (or myself!) might need. There are literally hundreds of labeled boxes/containers on the shelves of my shop, shed and garage.

I get more looks when I'm out and about in my 76 Aspen wagon daily driver than I ever imagined I would. People coming up to me in parking lots telling me about the one they rode around in when they were a kid. Of course I would rather they didnt say things like "Oh, my grandfather had one just like it"...that doesnt do well for the ol' ego, does it? :sad1: :icon_biggrin:
I have yet to see another F wagon on the road here in Phoenix. I know one guy who has a gorgeous red 78 V wagon but he doesnt take it out a lot.

Sorry if I got to rambling...:sleepy1: :icon_biggrin:

I for one am very glad there's folks like you Jim.
If I had the space I'd be snapping up all the rough F's and M's that occasionally show up and do what you do.....pull every useable piece and store it.

I emailed AMD about a year or so ago and their response was as you said.....too much investment and not enough pay off......maybe as our cars become more popular that will change but it's not happening right now.

Mopar_Gods

Reaction score
Ya the grills are stupid but like rims there a focal point ,a bad grill s like a mouth full of bad teeth ,and we akk know what dental work costs lol ,thats why im selling my grill for a afordable ammount
wink.png
'm let the jabs commence lol lol

I went out with a chic once before I got married. Man was she a nice looking lady. Nice body and all the nice curves and stuff. But when she smiled I just couldn't deal with it. Was the last date we went on together. Yes grills do play a important role and they do matter. :icon_rabbit:

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
stamping sheet metal is one thing but I don't see the cost of making injection or composite molds being very expencive at all. As soon as I get on my feet again I will be making full kits and pricing them VERY low. just to stick it to the man... lol

My plan is to replicate the spoilers, wheel flares, window louvers, chin spoiler, hood, custom grills and fenders and price them dirt cheap.

and by dirt cheap I mean around 100 for each, which would only be slightly over the cost of materials but some one has to do it. I will be that guy. John showed me some repops he had and they were a buggered up mess might be stepping on a members toe but its the truth no fault of Johns there are some real rip off artists out there. My plan is to sell full kits for around 1000. once the molds are made it could be a money machine.

who thinks a flat hood with a scoop and a challenger grill wouldn't look just enough over the top to be the baddest thing on the road.

Last edited:

Cordoba1

Reaction score
I totally sympathize with everyone looking at the prices of new parts. I was shocked at how hard it was to find something as simple as a proportioning valve for a late '70s Mopar -- ended up using a universal because I couldn't find the model-specific unit the car needed. Anyway -- just a comment about why parts don't stick around forever: Think about how many parts there are on a given car. If you're holding onto parts for multiple models, for multiple years, you're simply going to run out of space. Part of the business model for places like Brad's -- is that they're "storing" them for, literally, decades. If there weren't companies like Brad's that can afford to buy out entire inventories of parts from warehouses, they'd be recycled, and lost forever. Part of the (high) cost we're paying for is the fact that someone rescued them, stored them, kept them dry, etc. I, of course, hate paying $200 for a wiper linkage -- but since I wanted my wipers to park correctly, I paid the big bucks.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I totally sympathize with everyone looking at the prices of new parts. I was shocked at how hard it was to find something as simple as a proportioning valve for a late '70s Mopar -- ended up using a universal because I couldn't find the model-specific unit the car needed. Anyway -- just a comment about why parts don't stick around forever: Think about how many parts there are on a given car. If you're holding onto parts for multiple models, for multiple years, you're simply going to run out of space. Part of the business model for places like Brad's -- is that they're "storing" them for, literally, decades. If there weren't companies like Brad's that can afford to buy out entire inventories of parts from warehouses, they'd be recycled, and lost forever. Part of the (high) cost we're paying for is the fact that someone rescued them, stored them, kept them dry, etc. I, of course, hate paying $200 for a wiper linkage -- but since I wanted my wipers to park correctly, I paid the big bucks.

You're absolutely right.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
But what we are talking about is common parts that we all need that fail, like the top of the door trims that always crack, the fender extensions that always rot, windshields and weather stripping and rubber seals around doors would see most of us covered?

The guy that makes winshields how many would he have to make in a run before it become cost effective, you must be able to ship windshields some how.

If we made panels and painted them they must look better than cracked wood grain panels. I don't think the after market guys are going to do anything for us, we have to do it all, when someone is going to get something made we need to have a forum so he can ask who else wants some as well, that way we can get the price down and all get the bits we want. My problem here is if get stuff made here in NZ would you guys be prepared to pay expensive freight to get it to the USA?

See You
Bruce

alf44

Reaction score
stamping sheet metal is one thing but I don't see the cost of making injection or composite molds being very expencive at all. As soon as I get on my feet again I will be making full kits and pricing them VERY low. just to stick it to the man... lol

My plan is to replicate the spoilers, wheel flares, window louvers, chin spoiler, hood, custom grills and fenders and price them dirt cheap.

and by dirt cheap I mean around 100 for each, which would only be slightly over the cost of materials but some one has to do it. I will be that guy. John showed me some repops he had and they were a buggered up mess might be stepping on a members toe but its the truth no fault of Johns there are some real rip off artists out there. My plan is to sell full kits for around 1000. once the molds are made it could be a money machine.

who thinks a flat hood with a scoop and a challenger grill wouldn't look just enough over the top to be the baddest thing on the road.

the cost of making repop injection molded grills will be VERY spendy. first one would need to locate the original molds for the years one would want,i think that IF these molds still exist they would cost alot. then if found, one would need to locate a molding plant that would install the mold in a machine, that would need to be at least a 500 ton injection molding machine. then the cost of the plastic material to purchase. then to pay for the labor and prossesing costs that go along with the making of the grill. now smaller parts can be made with less outlay of cash but our grills are a large part and those molds will be very large-- spendy

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
I would not me making injection molds for plastic. they would be composite. I personally think that the original grill is ugly as hell in all forms. As bad as it may sound I do believe MOPAR is capable of making mistakes and the grill and bumpers on these cars is a mistake IMHO. Composite bumpers and a new grill design would be hard to make at first but once the mold is made it is VERY easy to make new ones. If you have ever taken the grill all the way off and removed the bumpers you would see that any hood/grill combo is possible. I should have been more specific I know what is involved in making plastic injection molds and the machinery needed. You would not need the original molds it would just make it easier especially if you were into making original OEM parts personally I think that is for hobbyists (NOS snobbs). most of what keeps this from being done is the cost of labor in making the composite molds it would take a while even to make one and I am talking about making all of the parts. It really surprises me that no one offers quality NEW body parts. I was under the impression that more of these cars were made than earlier years and yet no aftermarket exists for these parts. unless you want just a hood. Its not hard to make fiberglass fenders and hoods and trunklids ect ect. If anyone is offering quality composite pieces then let me know and by quality I mean a molded gel coat and the proper thickness of fiber glass cloth to where you cannot tell the difference between the ABS or composite pieces. I have not seen it. it can be done and it would be cost effective. composite does not need large machinery the largest tool other than molds needed are vaccum bags and a vacuum pump. I believe it has been said that great things start in the garage... the point is that it seems that no "company" is ever going to start making these because they would not be able to turn a profit quick enough. So what needs to be done is someone is going to have to do it them selves and I would be willing to sell the, VERY CHEAP because I am sick of hearing about the prices for retarded looking plastic grills that are over 30 years old and crack and snap worse than humpty dumpty

Last edited:

kkritsilas

Reaction score
in the last issue, or the issue before the last issue (sometimes there are delays getting magazines from the US) of Mopar Collector's Guide, there was a story about a guy with an F body Road Runner. He had it for a long time, but had is put away in a heated garage for a long time. Interesting car, but more applicable to this topic, the car was in pretty close to pristine shape, and a company actually borrowed the car in order to make molds for the quarter window louvers and the rear spoiler. I can find the name of the company that is supposed to be offering he parts. From what I remember of the story, the parts are of the same material as the originals, and come unpainted.

Kostas

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
in the last issue, or the issue before the last issue (sometimes there are delays getting magazines from the US) of Mopar Collector's Guide, there was a story about a guy with an F body Road Runner. He had it for a long time, but had is put away in a heated garage for a long time. Interesting car, but more applicable to this topic, the car was in pretty close to pristine shape, and a company actually borrowed the car in order to make molds for the quarter window louvers and the rear spoiler. I can find the name of the company that is supposed to be offering he parts. From what I remember of the story, the parts are of the same material as the originals, and come unpainted.

Kostas

The original material is ABS plastic I think. I would love to know how much they charge for them. I think fiber glass would last longer and would be easier to repair.

BHA43

Reaction score
That would be Darrell's car and I make the parts. BHA = Boot Hill Auto

Kostas

greymouser7

Reaction score
BHA43, Do you/can you make one of those F-body pedal cars so my daughter can have one like her dad?

And, is the name Boot Hill from those Trinity Cowboy movies? The spaghetti westerns, 'They call me Trinity, Boot Hill, and the other that I can't remember??

kkritsilas

Reaction score
BHA43, please feel free to correct anything I wrote (materials used, pricing if you want, etc.). What I wrote came from memory, and the article I read is from a short while back, and I am at work, so can't refer to it.

Kostas

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
BHA43, please feel free to correct anything I wrote (materials used, pricing if you want, etc.). What I wrote came from memory, and the article I read is from a short while back, and I am at work, so can't refer to it.

Kostas

X2 I would love to know the price and what they have for our cars

BHA43

Reaction score
On the aspenvolare.com site, look up my user name and the thread "Flairs and Such" it is the development thread. I hope it is OK to direct people to another related site. Boot Hill Auto is a salvage yard and yes I borrowed the name from the cowboy cemetery. If someone wanted to import the important parts of that I have no problem and I think Eric would be fine with it too. I do have the mold for the F body go carts and will have Step Side pickups done here shortly.
lil lil red 014.jpg
thanks Phil

RR/RT
Flairs 6 X $50 = $300.00
3 piece frt. $175.00
1 piece 76/7 rear spoiler $250.00
louvers $200.00 pair
Shipping I'll do in US $ 75.00
Total on a full set $1000.00

SC flairs $175 ea
frt spoiler $250
gas cap $100

43 $175 each

frt spoiler 43 $280 both pieces

r spoiler 43 $280 both pieces

lil lil red 014.jpg

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
On the aspenvolare.com site, look up my user name and the thread "Flairs and Such" it is the development thread. I hope it is OK to direct people to another related site. Boot Hill Auto is a salvage yard and yes I borrowed the name from the cowboy cemetery. If someone wanted to import the important parts of that I have no problem and I think Eric would be fine with it too. I do have the mold for the F body go carts and will have Step Side pickups done here shortly.View attachment 9189 thanks Phil

RR/RT
Flairs 6 X $50 = $300.00
3 piece frt. $175.00
louvers $200.00 pair

SC flairs $175 ea
frt spoiler $250
gas cap $100

43 $175 each

Outstanding!! very fair prices indeed looks like you have us covered. Thank you sir!!

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
On the aspenvolare.com site, look up my user name and the thread "Flairs and Such" it is the development thread. I hope it is OK to direct people to another related site. Boot Hill Auto is a salvage yard and yes I borrowed the name from the cowboy cemetery. If someone wanted to import the important parts of that I have no problem and I think Eric would be fine with it too. I do have the mold for the F body go carts and will have Step Side pickups done here shortly.View attachment 9189 thanks Phil

RR/RT
Flairs 6 X $50 = $300.00
3 piece frt. $175.00
louvers $200.00 pair

SC flairs $175 ea
frt spoiler $250
gas cap $100

43 $175 each

Here's the thread Phil.

http://www.aspenandvolare.com/showthread.php?3283-flairs-amp-such&highlight=flairs

And your info...
Phil's aka BHA43's Boot Hill Auto Salvage and Repair

Phil's Boot Hill Auto 10190 Hwy 65 Iowa Falls Ia. 50126*

1-800-498-5432*boothill@fbx.com

Back