Prepare To Puke

alf44

Reaction score
how bout this.... reskin the challenger for 2016. draft up a real swoopy body. give it a 5.7 HEMI, 6speed man trans. a/c, ps,pb crank windows, a good radio. add a rear spoiler and chin spoiler. side quarter window louvers. and for the 40th aniversary..... call it the NEW DODGE ASPEN R/T. dont forget the ralley wheels !!

NoCar340

Reaction score
Yeah, about that... considering that the Dodge Aspen/Plymouth Volare appear in virtually every list of "10 Worst American Cars Ever Built" I wouldn't expect to see either nameplate ever resurrected. Sad to say, as much as we love 'em most of America remembers all the recalls and horrible early rust issues of the early F cars, and justifiably regards them as steaming piles of crap. Das Deutschlanders hoped that America maybe had forgotten all that when they named the Chrysler Aspen, but apparently America hadn't. For how quickly those sold they may as well have been nailed to the showroom floor.

Don't get me wrong... until I bought my Challenger I was hounding a friend about selling me his '80 Aspen R/T Slant Six/4-speed car. I love 'em, but I'm not in denial of the overall national perception of the F-bodies.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
It's funny that that particular era of recalls sticks out so much
I suspect there might be a bit of......one guy told his buddy that Aspen's rust which turned intoAspen's are really bad for rust to I'd never buy an Aspen are you nuts?

Recalls have been an ongoing byproduct of the auto industry
And there's been some good one's but this one stuck.
The other interesting thing is that there are proportionately speaking a fair number of Aspen's and Volare's around in good shape for their age.

My Fifth Ave wasn't exactly the most gleaming era for Chrysler either
But.......I really dig the Volare.....the Fifth is almost a buddy and the Caravelle is the exceptionally cool toy.....
And the kick in the teeth is all three of my cars are in better shape than most of the 08's out there......ain't got a bad thing to say about any of them.

Cars are generally disposable.....the only reason ours aren't is because.....
We're nuts.......in a good way.

NoCar340

Reaction score
No, they really were that bad. The cars were rushed into production a year early (they were never supposed to overlap the A-bodies) and had tons of quality-control issues. My '76, bought new in Atlanta and never left the city, was in worse shape than my '72 Charger, which had been up here in Saltland for two decades. On top of that, there were only 3 weld nuts in the frame to hold the K-member in that Aspen from the day it was new. The original owner told me that when I got the car... "Never was there. Tried to put one in at the first oil change, but it fell back out. No threads up there." They weren't all junk, but the percentage was high enough to warrant the reputation and inclusion on "10 Worst Cars" lists.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Okay.....even I will admit that these cars were hammered together at a time when Chrysler was on the brink......

However I call your attention to the immortal words of Oscar Goldman
"We can rebuild them.......we have the technology"...... :toothy12:

NoCar340

Reaction score
Hey, I know my Imperial wasn't exactly the stuff of dreams when it rolled off the line, and it's just a stretched F-body. That's not going to keep me from investing well more what the car is worth restored to fulfill my dream. It's the love of the car and my own vision for it, and my hands will show it more care than those in a factory. Some will hate it, some will love it... it doesn't matter to me. In the immortal words of my friend Ed, "If you think my car should be done differently, you're more than welcome to pay my asking price and do with it whatever you please." No takers in 28 years... :icon_biggrin:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Hey, I know my Imperial wasn't exactly the stuff of dreams when it rolled off the line, and it's just a stretched F-body. That's not going to keep me from investing well more what the car is worth restored to fulfill my dream. It's the love of the car and my own vision for it, and my hands will show it more care than those in a factory. Some will hate it, some will love it... it doesn't matter to me. In the immortal words of my friend Ed, "If you think my car should be done differently, you're more than welcome to pay my asking price and do with it whatever you please." No takers in 28 years... :icon_biggrin:

I haven't had any either......
But that's just it...the love of the car.
I'll easily have at least five times what my Caravelle is worth into it before I'm done.....but that's fine with me......I'm not selling anyway. :D

Back