Rear Spoiler Mounting

80 Lebaron Coupe

Reaction score
I picked up a one piece factory rear spoiler for my 80 Volare Duster.
Can some one take a pick of the inside of the trunk where the spoiler mounts.

There are no holes in my trunk where you can put a socket on an extension and reach the bolts.
I'm thinking they had 2 trunk lids, one for spoiler and one for non spoiler,
a pic would solve that mystery.

I need help on how to mount this thing correctly.
or do I just find a trunk lid that already had a spoiler?

Aspen500

Reaction score
For what it's worth, here's pics of my lid with the one piece spoiler. It did NOT have a spoiler stock. I drilled access holes (1" I think) for the outer bolts (with the plugs in the pic). The inner ones I accessed through the big holes in the inner structure.
DSCF0001 (1).JPG

DSCF0003 (1).JPG

80 Lebaron Coupe

Reaction score
Thanks 500!
The end holes are the ones I was wondering about.
I have a hole saw bit set.

I would still like to see pics of a factory spoiler inside trunk lid.
500, How did you know where to drill the holes?
Did you use a paper template from another trunk lid?
--- Post updated ---
If I have to drill the holes I will.
I would like to find a trunk lid thats already drilled,
because mine has some spots of rust coming through in the upper corners.

But it would have to be close, because shipping for this large item would be killer.

I'm just holding the spoiler in place for the pics, so it wouldn't slide off.

Spoiler 002.JPG

Spoiler 003.JPG

Spoiler 004.JPG

Spoiler 005.JPG

Spoiler 006.JPG

Spoiler 007.JPG

Aspen500

Reaction score
My lid had a little rot through in the lower corners too, both inner and outer panels. You can kind of tell by the way the seam looks a little funky in the corner, lol.
It was so long ago that I added the spoiler (like 25 years ago), but I probably took some careful measurements of the spoiler and transferred them to the deck lid and added in a bit of luck. Honestly, one of the holes is more oval than round (oops). Measure 4 times, drill once and still off a little :)
Once you drill the holes in the outer panel, you keep going on the outer holes to drill a pilot for the hole saw.

I see your spoiler fits about as good as the one I have.

Aspen500

Reaction score
You and me both!
When I was a tech at car dealers (first Ford and then Audi), it was always a nervous thing to drill or cut holes into a brand new vehicle to add an accessory. Pretty much only get one shot at it! Worst was back in the mid '80's. I had to put a power sliding moonroof in a brand new Lincoln Town Car (never did find out why the body dept didn't do it instead). Talk about sweating, lol! You bet I measured abut 100 times and then checked again just to be sure:eek:

80 Lebaron Coupe

Reaction score
On one of those car shows on TV, they took some type of clay or puddy and placed it on the part, then pressed it against the car and it left marks where the holes should be drilled.
Have you ever seen or heard of that?

Last edited:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I saw on one of those car shows on TV,
where they took some type of clay or puddy and placed it on the part, then pressed it against the car and it left marks where the holes should be drilled.
Have you ever seen or heard of that?

Technically you could do that with almost anything. Slop some turtle wax or something over the mounting spots of the spoiler. When you lift it off there'll be a perfect spot for each hole with no wax. Then when you're done drilling just wipe the wax off.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Another idea is to make a cardboard template for each side. (Please see incredibly artistic rendition)

20160307_213219-1.jpg

I have no idea how the holes are located but you get my drift. That way you can measure up where the spoiler goes and then use the template to drill. Might be more accurate.

80 Lebaron Coupe

Reaction score
Thats a good idea too. I think there are 4 mounting holes.
I thought that maybe someone with a factory drilled trunk lid,
can make a template from tracing paper.

Its gonna happen one way or another.:D

I also thought about that 3M HD 2 sides tape they put side moldings on with.
It would be a disaster if it didnt hold and came off and shattered.

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
I wouldn't rely on the 3M tape. It holds good but there's a lot of force on the spoiler going down the freeway. There are only 4 holes to drill.
Just an FYI. Good idea to ditch the factory u-nuts that take basically a lag screw and replace them with threaded u-nuts and bolts. It's a piece of mind thing. I just didn't trust the little lag screw deal.
The Chevy guys probably use Elmer's glue to attach their spoilers. "Good enough" they say, lol.

Back