scale models

ramenth

Reaction score
With Alf posting up pics of a few of models I thought it might be worth starting a thread for scale models, rather they be die cast you've bought assembled or plastic scale that you've put together.

Here's a few of mine:

612.JPG

614.JPG

646.JPG

663.JPG

645.JPG

674.JPG

676.JPG

Got a Volare in a box that I'm want to kit bash with a Viper kit. Should be a fun build

612.JPG

614.JPG

646.JPG

663.JPG

645.JPG

674.JPG

676.JPG

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
2014-01-22 18.12.43-1.jpg

Well....although I had lots when I was a kid I foolishly lost them all and have to rebuild my collection again. All I have now is my one lone Fury police car.

2014-01-22 18.12.43-1.jpg

ramenth

Reaction score
Into more than just building scale cars.

I'm also a fan of Star Trek. When round2 came out with the Enterprises in the same scale I knew they had to grace my shelves. Eventually. This set is for my sister, a Trekker.

DSCN0491 (640x480).jpg

DSCN0507 (640x480).jpg

DSCN0509 (640x480).jpg

DSCN0506 (640x480).jpg

DSCN0502 (640x480).jpg

These range from 4.25" of the original Enterprise up to 12.75" of Enterprise-E. What makes them real challenging, even though they are snap together kits, is that all of the detailing is done with decals. Enterprise-B was a lesson in frustration as every scare inch of the model has a decal which covers it.

DSCN0491 (640x480).jpg

DSCN0507 (640x480).jpg

DSCN0509 (640x480).jpg

DSCN0506 (640x480).jpg

DSCN0502 (640x480).jpg

My imp

Reaction score
Did you see the $500 NCC-1701? Working lights, bridge w/crew, vid screen lights, engines light, etc.. The prototype was at a model show in Cleveland, the whole ship was air brushed, but they claim that when the kit came out, that it all be decals. That thing was huge! I like Star Trek, but I like my left nut better, because that's what my wife would've removed if I ever came home with a $500 Enterprise! You could get the light pack separately, as well as the major decal kit that wasn't even available yet? I believe it was $125 for just the basic model.

ramenth

Reaction score
Did you see the $500 NCC-1701? Working lights, bridge w/crew, vid screen lights, engines light, etc.. The prototype was at a model show in Cleveland, the whole ship was air brushed, but they claim that when the kit came out, that it all be decals. That thing was huge! I like Star Trek, but I like my left nut better, because that's what my wife would've removed if I ever came home with a $500 Enterprise! You could get the light pack separately, as well as the major decal kit that wasn't even available yet? I believe it was $125 for just the basic model.

I've had my eye on it for quite a while. NCC-1701, anyway. (You can build Enterprise-A, too.) The model, the photoetch, and the lighting kit can be had off Amazon for around $275. Some of the weathering decal sheets, registry sheets, etc. run in the $25-$30 range, depending on how you want to customize it (like registering out as the Intrepid or the Essex).

There are other things I'd like the challenge of trying first, like a real wooden sailing ship model. It's one of those "eventually" things.

My imp

Reaction score
I'm going to really date myself here. But the one I want to get to is my B-58 Hustler. It's a whopping 1/48th scale! Sounds small, doesn't it? But I digress, the Hustler is 90 ft. long, which makes the model 22 1/2" long. Like just about every other model, there are things I want to change. I'm painting it with Alclad II, then air brush in the seams & stuff. After that, the next plane will be the SR-71 Blackbird. Two fine USAF warbirds!

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I haven't build a plastic model since my teenage years. The last one I built was a Tamiya Ferrarri 312B3 Formula 1 car. I didn't complete it, just ran out of time and patience. Engine alone took over 6 hours to build, including running the individual spark plug wires. The rear suspension must have had twice that number of hours. In the end, just gave up, and haven't built any models since. I did love building airplane models, though.

I'd love to get a model of the XB70 Valkyrie. B58 would be a good one as well. Airplane models are really great, I liked putting them together.

Kostas

My imp

Reaction score
Somehow, Kostas, I'd have bet the farm that the XB-70 was your favorite. No BS, I thought about you while I was writing the thread! The original B-1 that Pres. Carter killed was an awesome successor to the B-58. I don't really count the XB-70, as it never made it past the experimental stage. It's amazing the props a plane is given that never flew a mission, while one that that set as many records as the Hustler is lucky to get an honorable mention in ANY aviation circles. Many of the things credited to Kelly Johnson & the Lockheed skunkworks were already in use on the B-58. What did you ever do with that Ferrari? Wasn't that a really expensive model? If you have it, you should finish it. If its the one I'm thinking of, it's a really cool model! I have about 20 models sitting in my closet waiting to either started, or completed. I thank you for staring this thread, as I can work on them while this weather takes another nose dive!

ramenth

Reaction score
I like building scale airplanes, too, when I can. My only problem is the aircraft scale being so much different than the auto scale. How cool would it be having an F-15C in 25th scale sitting next to a 25th scale Daytona or Superbird on the shelf?

Larry, I when I do build scale aircraft, I have to work in 48th. None of the smaller scale works for me. That SR-71 you're talking about? Got it sitting in the work room. In 48th, of course. Along with a couple of F-15's (I dreamed of flying those throughout my high school years).

I started this thread because Alf put up pics of his models. I'm hoping the other modelers on the site come out of hiding to share what they have, maybe some tips, and generally help each other out.

My imp

Reaction score
I hope so. I put a ton of kits away in the closet, & seeing those gets the old creative juices flowing. Let's face it, I'm sure that most of us got started working on cars by working on model cars. Don't get me started on 1/32 & 1/24 scale slot cars with the clear Acrylic bodies! Gummy slicks & "traction enhancer", whatever the hell that spooge was! Modified engines, & final gear ratio changes! My Dad & I used to go every Saturday morning to a really nice all hardwood track to race! Oh the memories!

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
I have a TON of model kits in storage that are untouched or unfinished. when I move back to Wisconsin and get a house, im gonna have a room just for model building to keep me busy in the cold winter months

72Dodge

Reaction score
I'll get a pic of my model kit collection later. I've just started getting back into it again. I've never had the patience to do really detailed models, though I tried with some limited success in the early '90s (and I still have that one I started, a Super Bee, I think). Unfortunately, a lot of my models that I made when I was a kid, in my teens I painted green with a brush for some stupid reason. Car models are definitely one of the main things that got me into cars. I still have my dad's collection of mostly broken models I need to fix, and I just recently bought 4 or 5 new ones that I am saving for my son and I to build. It's sad that it seems modeling is dying off with youth today.

72Dodge

Reaction score
My current to-build and partially-built. This doesn't count two boxes of ones that I built when I was a kid and the ones my dad built. Those are awesome... '60s car show concept cars and hot rods. Need to fix those and post a pic soon. I so wish I grew up in the 60s.

IMG_9609_35p.jpg

IMG_9609_35p.jpg

alf44

Reaction score
looks like my stack o cars,lol as i got a few of those, the 68, the daytona,had the courier,the brat,the 74 the dart,, dam, does look like my stack

Back