scale models

My imp

Reaction score
I tried to get my son interested in modeling. He built one car, end of modeling. When you go to modeling conventions, all you see are people in their 40's & up. Just look at the models that're out there. Very few tuner cars, & primered Civic's with exhaust leaks (had to say it lol), etc. almost all car models are re-releases of our models from when we were kids. Now to cater to the instant gratification generation they've come up with the pre-painted, pre-assembled, just put your choice of stock, or 75" wheels. No more cutting apart telephone wires for spark plug wires, brake lines, brake lines for velocity stacks, etc. Now it's just, open package, add wheels, display. See Dad, I built a model! Yeah you did, son.

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
I got my lil brother into model building, being 14 his skills arnt the best, but are improving

kkritsilas

Reaction score
My favourite airplanes are the F-104, the F-4, and the F-16 (in original form). Not really a good plane in a capability sense, the F-104 is the "coolest" looking plane ever. The F-4 is, over 40 years after it came out, a really capable, massively powerful plane. One of the few that was operated by the Navy, Air Force, and Marines. I like the original form of the F-16, in its air superiority/dogfighter form. I still don't think it makes a good ground attack fighter, but that's what they have it doing now.

I like the XB-70 because of the way it pointed to the future. A late 1950s design (one of the most forward looking planes ever, as we still do not have any Mach 3 capable aircraft in regular service in any air force, 40 years later), it did bring some new concepts into aerospace engineering. Things like riding the compression wave to improve high speed fuel usage (by dropping the tips of the wings down so they were vertical), the all out speed, the use of the forward "canards" (the little wings near the nose that perform a lot of the functions of a conventional planes tail). The engine placement was also new for the time, but would later be adopted for the Russian Tu-144 (their supersonic transport plane) and in a modified form, the Concorde. The base technologies were all known of course. It isn't the base technologies that made the XB-70 special, it was how they were combined and mixed together to come up with something new. And the other part is, the XB-70 was, and is, an amazingly beautiful airplane. Even if the XB-70 were to come out today, it would still look modern. And despite the fame of Kelly Johnson and the Lockheed "skunk works", some of the most advanced airplanes of the time were NOT from there. The XB-70, and the F-107 Rapier/F-108, the Mig-25, and even our own CF-105 were all advanced aircraft designs/aerodynamics, and had nothing to do with Kelly Johnson. In fact, it could be said that the F-104, and possibly the U-2 were both Kelly Johnson designed, and were failures in some regard. Some of the stuff that was being done at North American Aviation, General Dynamics, and Grumman (with the later F-14) were as advanced, if not more so, than what Kelly Johnson was doing.

I think what they did to the B-1 is sort of sad. They came up with a real heavy bomber that was supersonic, then cut it back to be subsonic. Like many other aircraft projects, the politics got involved, and messed up a good design for the worse.

The Ferrari is long gone. It was going to be a fairly big model. You are right, it was very expensive at the time, and would have been a real show piece if I had ever finished it. The impatience of youth, I guess.

Kostas

My imp

Reaction score
I did the same thing to an XKE. Real big, real expensive, piss poor quality control. The bonnet (hood in British speak) had casting flaws that no paint could cover. I was like 12 at the time & while quite a capable painter, I didn't have the technological know how. I carpeted it, you could read the shifter (with a magnifying glass!), fully wired chassis (copied the harness from photos), etc.. Main body was gorgeous, bonnet flaws kept drawing the paint into the "cracks", so it always looked like someone " keyed" the car. M-80's fixed that problem! F-107 & 8 were pure politics. Just like half that morphidited shit from Voight! Some the fugliest aircraft to take to the sky. The F-4 was a dump truck! But it did have half the thrust of the Hustler! So it had to fast. It fullfilled any mission thrown at it & brought its crew back alive. Can you imagine what could be done if engineers were allowed to design what they know is good, instead of letdown see what we can get a computer to fly? F-117 comes to mind. A brick with , wings? Supposedly the reason the F-22 hasn't flown in combat (which I don't believe anyways), is that you can see it plain as day when it's raining, or wet! Come to think of it, my Imp is like an F-4, heavy, let's face it, it's not the most svelte thing out there. But, yet it does whatever is asked of it, always gets me there & back.

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
Since this topic came
Does anyone have a 75 plymouth duster parts kit?
I need a hood and taillight panel chrome

alf44

Reaction score
i think i got a few duster parts left over from the AMT duster kits, not sure if its 75 or the 71 duster, would the 71 duster parts work for you?

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
71 parts wont work (although it is kit bashed with a 71)
But the 75 duster kit is actually a dart sport

alf44

Reaction score
ok. i had that kit from mpc, might have the hood n tail panel, that what u r looking for,right?

alf44

Reaction score
a lot of those dart sports on the eggbay right now, and a used 80 volare kit,, the fuzz duster,lol

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
Havent looked on ebay in awhile as i dont have an account
You got a pic of the box of the one you have? Cant remember if it was a mpc or amt kit,but its a purple car on the front

alf44

Reaction score
yup, got that 1 ,i painted it purple too,lol but i think i got a hood n tail panel from a mpc dart ,if i got those parts you can have em cheep

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
Also is that 80 volare model a 2 or 4 door? I have a 78,but never saw the 80 kit
If its a 2door the capt should jump on that n make it a replica of his wifes

alf44

Reaction score
ill look im my stash anyways im looking 4 my volare parts illlook for the dart stuff n try to get pics

alf44

Reaction score
el a 2 or 4 door? I have a 78,but never saw the 80 kit
If its a 2door the capt should jump on that n make it a replica of his wifes[/QUOTE]

yes its a 2 door volare kit on ebay, called fuzz duster, its built up already but looks ok, at 40.00 now, got the large wheel well flares kinda like a super coupe

alf44

Reaction score
i found 2 hoods, 1 from a 68 barracuda, 1 from a dart. pretty much same hoods with the molded in hood pins, cant find the tail panel yet

ruppster

Reaction score
Here are some pics of a few kits I built years ago. The first two are WWII Dodges and the third is a WWII halftrack, all 1/35th scale. I have a few more pics of them on my web site at http://www.dodge-semis.com/Models/. I still build them (I like everything from WWII airplanes to race cars to semi trucks) and I'm currently working on a 1/25th scale Dodge tilt-cab L700. I used material from the trailer frame to stretch the trucks frame so I could put a flatbed on it instead of a fifth wheel.

WC57_01.jpg

WC62_01.jpg

M3A2_02.jpg

L700_01.jpg

WC57_01.jpg

WC62_01.jpg

M3A2_02.jpg

L700_01.jpg

Last edited:

My imp

Reaction score
I have a TON of model kits in storage that are untouched or unfinished. when I move back to Wisconsin and get a house, im gonna have a room just for model building to keep me busy in the cold winter months
I picked up a couple kits lately. Before you open those things, take a look on eBay & see what they're fetching these days! Need a bumper, carb, etc..? Couple model kits might put you there!

ramenth

Reaction score
Here are some pics of a few kits I built years ago. The first two are WWII Dodges and the third is a WWII halftrack, all 1/35th scale. I have a few more pics of them on my web site at http://www.dodge-semis.com/Models/. I still build them (I like everything from WWII airplanes to race cars to semi trucks) and I'm currently working on a 1/25th scale Dodge tilt-cab L700. I used material from the trailer frame to stretch the trucks frame so I could put a flatbed on it instead of a fifth wheel.

Nice! Love the WWII Dodges.

I like the idea with stretching the L700 kit, too.

alf44

Reaction score
i have 1 of those kits,,, L700 with the trailer- came with a 40 ford if i remember right

Back