Speedo gear housing swap

Idle Ender

Reaction score
I recently rolled an 04 Jeep Liberty 8 1/4 rear diff (disk brakes and 3.83 gears!) under my 80 /6 Volare. As some of you may know already, the F-body speedometer gear/housing is completely different than the old design and a bear and a half to get different gears for. So I swapped for the old metal style housing with a 39 tooth gear. I then pulled then old speedo cable out. So heres my problem; I need to order the right cable! The old one is roughly 60" but the trans end needs to thread on now. Has anyone done this swap before? After bumbling around the internet for the last week, I havnt found anything definitive as far as the correct part. Any help would be awesome.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Check the thread sir.
speedo gear change help

I just measured my stock Volare cable and it measures 78 inches.
Napa sells cable as short as 25 inches. Go to their site and buy the 84 inch cable like I did. Note in the original thread the metal end coupling. Mine is the bigger 7/8".If the aluminum housing adapter is the bigger one that's the one. I have a smaller coupling one I bought by mistake. Napa also sells the ferrule end with the 2 different couplings you could buy a 90 inch cable and cut it back to length

Idle Ender

Reaction score
Thanks for the information! I have a 68" NAPA one from an 80 pickup on the way already. It appears to have the right hookups on it, but well see. I didnt check to see which thread the housing has on it, so its 50/50 at this point. If that doesnt work Ill check out the one you mentioned. I have a NAPA up the road, so returns are a non-issue. Lol

Back