Stainless Steel Sill (Rocker), Panels

Fresh Air Inspector

Reaction score
Hello All,
My 1988 M body (4 door), has SS moulding covering the sills. These appear to be held on by some type of spring clip. On my car the upper edge is loose for more then half its length. I'm hesitant to remove the trim for fear of damaging the clips. My factory service manual has no information on this trim piece or how it is held in place. :-(

Any insight is appreciated. If anyone has a picture or pictures of this clip it would be helpful? Also, are these clips still available?

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
I don't have a picture off hand but they are big plastic clips, you push up on the bottom of the trim and pry from the gap between trim and body at the top to remove it. Pry where the clips are, otherwise it can damage the trim or higher chance of breaking the clips.

Fresh Air Inspector

Reaction score
Hello Mike,
Managed to remove the drivers side sill trim. Of the 8 clips, 6 had the spring tabs broken off, 1 had a single spring tab and 1 was complete. :-( Chrysler p/n is 6003718. eBay has no listings and the only aftermarket supplier, Auveco doesn't have a cross reference. :-( They do show a Chrysler clip (OEM p/n 381090), but it is too long; 5" vs. 4 3/8" (link below).

Hopefully a forum member has some NOS or good used ones. Anyone experimenting with a 3D printer?

Need to figure out a possible solution.

IMG_0289.JPG

IMG_0287.JPG

volare 1977

Reaction score
try AMS obsolete. Best to call as emails sometimes go unnoticed. They show yes when you check the website with 6003718.

Fresh Air Inspector

Reaction score
Hello AMC Diplomat,

The eBay listing is for p/n 6003519. Fortunately the seller included a picture with accurate dimensions. Comparison below, p/n 6003519 (D body), on left 6003718 (M body), on right;

1.20" needs to be 1 3/16"
2.07" needs to be 2 11/16"
3.375" needs to be 4 1/16"
4" needs to be 4 1/2"

Needless to say, these will be too short for an M body vehicle.

Hello Volare 1977,

Thanks for the link. Based on the 'warehouse' pictures I can't imagine how they would handle and inventory check. :)
I will contact then today. Fingers crossed!

Fresh Air Inspector

Reaction score
Hello Volare 1977,

Just spoke to AMS, unfortunately they only have 2 pieces of 6003718 at $12.96 ea. USD. :-(

Need to explore my options;

1. there is an old wrecking yard about 50km (30mi.), from me that may have some M body vehicles.
2. order p/n 381090 from Auveco, cut a section out of the middle and glue together on the vehicle. With the load inline with the clip mounting points, the modified clip should keep the sill cover in place.
3. check with my nephew to see what his 3D printer is capable of.
4. last resort - remove the clip mounting studs from the sill, repaint (rocker guard + paint), the sill and drive the car without the sill covers.

As soon as I have any news I'll update this thread.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Some joker previous owner drilled and tapped the rocker and sills on mine and attached both sides with little stainless screws

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Actually, my '88 Diplomat also had screws holding on the covers. It looked bad, but since the car was only five years old, I assumed it was factory.
Mine is an 87. Now you have me wondering if it was factory. It doesn't look great but it was cleanly and neatly done

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Nope. The only trim like that with screws is the wheel well stuff. For the 80s ones anyway.

Ele115

Reaction score
I have used the thick two sided foam tape with no problems. It takes quite a bit to do it though. Think I used a double layer

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Nope. The only trim like that with screws is the wheel well stuff. For the 80s ones anyway.
I thought it was just a jackass previous owner, but now that someone else says they had one like that, it makes me wonder if some were put together that way at Kenosha Assembly for 87/88/89

Good thing Mark Worman doesn't do M bodies lol we'd have quite the rabbit hole here

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
It was a common thing for people to do to use screws to hold on chrome trim thats fallen off. It's not factory on any of those years.

Last edited:

FredMcJoe

Reaction score
1 unbroken one out of 8 is about the right ratio. They are good pieces to collect from wrecking yard M bodies. I heard someone say that dodge truck trim on the rear gate is the same but I've never checked that. 3D printing would be a good option. Note: Boil the old ones to restore the elasticity of the tabs. Boil in hot water for a few minutes. The hot water reactivates the elasto...mizers or something like that.

MoparDan

Reaction score
I heard someone say that dodge truck trim on the rear gate is the same but I've never checked that. 3D printing would be a good option.
There's one in a junkyard here, they do look the same size, I may have to get them and see...I need some for one side

Back