Volare Nomad station wagon

Aspen500

Reaction score
JMO, the only way a 2 door wagon would look right is if it had 2dr coupe doors. Otherwise it looks like what it is, a wagon with the rear doors welded shut, and no access to the back seat. All factory built 2 door wagons, when the built them way back when, had doors either from the 2 door hdtp or 2dr sedan in a wagon body. What I mean is, even if the doors didn't directly interchange btween the body styles, the wagon ones were the same length as a 2 door non-wagon.

to build one would be time consuming and require a lot of fabricating skill, and the equipment to do the fabrication. Sticking point would be the rear side glass. It'd need to be curved to fit the contours. Flat glass would look out of place. Of course, there's the interior trim panels to consider too, and how to finish it all of inside. It could be done though, although it wouldn't be exactly inexpensive.

Aspen500

Reaction score
This is what I was thinking, except on an F, not a B. Making a 2 door coupe into a wagon vs making a 4 door wagon into a 2 door.

two door wagon 1.jpe

Shorty Thompson

Reaction score
The 5.9 magnums are great engines. My daughter has a very old Durango with the 5.9 and it is reaching 300,000 miles. She will never get rid of it. It never needs anything but tires and light stuff like oil changes and wiper blades.
Oh ,,,,,, no doubt. I could easily see doing a freshening up on the '99 that I got on the engine stand and maybe a hotter cam, or if I was told okay and higher ratio'd set of rockers.

Shorty Thompson

Reaction score
JMO, the only way a 2 door wagon would look right is if it had 2dr coupe doors. Otherwise it looks like what it is, a wagon with the rear doors welded shut, and no access to the back seat. All factory built 2 door wagons, when the built them way back when, had doors either from the 2 door hdtp or 2dr sedan in a wagon body. What I mean is, even if the doors didn't directly interchange btween the body styles, the wagon ones were the same length as a 2 door non-wagon.

to build one would be time consuming and require a lot of fabricating skill, and the equipment to do the fabrication. Sticking point would be the rear side glass. It'd need to be curved to fit the contours. Flat glass would look out of place. Of course, there's the interior trim panels to consider too, and how to finish it all of inside. It could be done though, although it wouldn't be exactly inexpensive.
It'd have to be. That's the only way it'd look right. So I whole heartily agree .

Shorty Thompson

Reaction score

Rear side glass ? Um,,,, no. I want a " nomad " style wagon. Solid , van style .

Aspen500

Reaction score
Similar deal, and I'll have to see if I can find a photo of it and know I've got one somewhere, my uncle had a '57 Chevy El Camino back in the late '70's. Yes I know, there's no such thing as a '57 El Camino. It was made from a 4dr sedan and had an early '50's (I think) pickup rear window with the curved back of the cab blended in. Same as using a 2 door to build a wagon, that one would have better if it had started as a 2 dr '57 wagon. Even better if it was made from a '57 Nomad. He used the 4dr to build it because he got it for $50, with the back of the roof and the trunk smashed from a tree falling on it, and it was a base 150 model with manual everything, radio delete, straight 6, 3 on the tree, etc. Even though it was a Chevy, it was still kind of neat.

Shorty Thompson

Reaction score
Similar deal, and I'll have to see if I can find a photo of it and know I've got one somewhere, my uncle had a '57 Chevy El Camino back in the late '70's. Yes I know, there's no such thing as a '57 El Camino. It was made from a 4dr sedan and had an early '50's (I think) pickup rear window with the curved back of the cab blended in. Same as using a 2 door to build a wagon, that one would have better if it had started as a 2 dr '57 wagon. Even better if it was made from a '57 Nomad. He used the 4dr to build it because he got it for $50, with the back of the roof and the trunk smashed from a tree falling on it, and it was a base 150 model with manual everything, radio delete, straight 6, 3 on the tree, etc. Even though it was a Chevy, it was still kind of neat.
If they're built with some kind of respect they do look good. That's what I'm about.

Ele115

Reaction score
2 door with no glass. I liked the looks of the Pintos that had the little porthole windows in the late 70's.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I could actually see myself doing that if I had a wagon body at my disposal. That would be a breeze in comparison to the routine restorations and repairs I have been up to. Almost like a sabbatical. It would be so easy because you would be using readily available factory parts, a wagon and two door doors and misc parts. That is really tempting. The downside is it would mean something else of mine would be stalled for months. Still, seems really worth doing. Maybe it's a good parking spot for a 426 hemi.

1 Wagon shell + 1 2 door parts car + 1 426 Hemi = One heck of a car
I've given this thought over the years and think I would start with the wagon and completely remove the roof and use a coupe doors, roof including the windshield pillars and the door jam down to the rocker panel. I'm open on the back glass but probably one from the last gen Elcabong. The wagons door skins would fill out the quarter panels.
I think it would be a great project...

Shorty Thompson

Reaction score
I've given this thought over the years and think I would start with the wagon and completely remove the roof and use a coupe doors, roof including the windshield pillars and the door jam down to the rocker panel. I'm open on the back glass but probably one from the last gen Elcabong. The wagons door skins would fill out the quarter panels.
I think it would be a great project...
Enjoy ,,,,,,,, Hewre's the link also ; '69 Charger R/T - jakesgeneralstore.com

Charger Elcomino 1.jpg

Charger Elcomino 2.jpg

Aspen500

Reaction score
I admit to checking dimensions of an f-body and last style ElCamino once and, it's pretty darn close. The rear window and panel, along with the back part of the "cab", and also the trim along the top of the box, and up around the back of the roof, even bed inner panels. Putting Chevy parts on a Mopar is kind of cringe worthy but, you use what works I guess. Wagon modified for coupe doors, merged with brand X parts. If done well, it could look nice. If there was a way to get door glass that was angled on the back instead of straight up, all the better. That would be pretty much impossible though, or at the very least, cost prohibitive.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I admit to checking dimensions of an f-body and last style ElCamino once and, it's pretty darn close. The rear window and panel, along with the back part of the "cab", and also the trim along the top of the box, and up around the back of the roof, even bed inner panels. Putting Chevy parts on a Mopar is kind of cringe worthy but, you use what works I guess. Wagon modified for coupe doors, merged with brand X parts. If done well, it could look nice. If there was a way to get door glass that was angled on the back instead of straight up, all the better. That would be pretty much impossible though, or at the very least, cost prohibitive.
Paying for the work would be crazy money but doing it yourself wouldn't be that bad.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Is that a real build or a photo shop? This is the best looking wagon EVER!
I did a little digging and, turns out it probably is photo shop. Darn good photo shop though! There's others the same guy did, like a '71 GTX "Ute".

1645381688910.png

Last edited:
Back