Weather Stripping

compubert

Reaction score
Well you ARE the man... pull this off and you may achieve a greater status sir.... I know quite a few folks like to keep the weather out, in my case I gave up long ago! ;-)

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Well you ARE the man... pull this off and you may achieve a greater status sir.... I know quite a few folks like to keep the weather out, in my case I gave up long ago! ;-)

I'm on a mission.
Enough is enough.
Is keeping the damn water out so much to ask??!!! :icon_shaking:

Aspen500

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I thought the Metro roof rail seals fit fairly good. The Steele door opening seals,,,,,,,,,,not so much. The actual seal is fine, it's the molded end caps that suck. They're too thick, too stiff and made from the wrong material. After having them on for a couple years, the doors close fine without slamming. The end caps have relaxed enough to work. Still not that good though. No possible way to make them not leak air where the door and roof rail seals meet. Not so worried about rain, I don't take the car out if there's so much as a cloud in the sky. Problem with going over board on the build, it's afraid of rain:laughing5:

With our cars a lot of the time it's either use what's available or do without, unfortunately. Reusing my original weatherstripping was NOT an option.

I did call Steele and mention the problem and they sort of had a "so what" attitude about it.
On the other hand, Metro said if a mint pair of door seals could be found (either NOS or very nice used) they would start the process of reproducing them with a more correct profile. Might not be right away but it would be put into the system for the future. So far, I've had no luck in locating suitable set.

Last edited:

greymouser7

Reaction score
I did call ...On the other hand, Metro said if a mint pair of door seals could be found (either NOS or very nice used) they would start the process of reproducing them with a more correct profile.

Might not be right away but it would be put into the system for the future. So far, I've had no luck in locating suitable set.

I was saving this for me, but do not have any money yet: $250

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191115497315?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

NOS MOPAR 76-80 DODGE ASPEN,R/T:pLYMOUTH VOLARE,ROADRUNNER RH DOOR WEATHERSTRIP

NOS 1976-80 DODGE ASPEN, ASPEN R/T, DIPLOMAT: PLYMOUTH VOLARE, VOLARE ROADRUNNER: CHRYSLER LEBARON, 5TH AVE. AND NEWPORT RH DOOR WEATHERSRIP PART #3875580. STILL IN IT'S ORIGINAL MOPAR BOX AND IN FACTORY NOS CONDITION. FREE SHIPPING AND HANDLING INSIDE THE 48 US STATES. FEEL FREE TO E-MAIL US TO QUOTE SHIPPING OUTSIDE THE US OR ANY OTHER QUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE. CHECK OUT OUR EBAY STORE FOR MORE NOS AND NICE CLEAN USED MOPAR PARTS.

Mopar_Gods

Reaction score
I have also spoke to Metro a few times myself. And of course I was only told that they were not aware that there were problems with seals not fitting F body. I was like your not aware of it. Do you ever read feed back of your products online there are so many forums with the consumer complaining it is not even funny. Said best thing to do was if they will not fit call them. But they will not re manufacture anything new until there is a huge number of demand for it and complaints.

Have not had a chance to test my new ones I bought yet waiting on my door panels from the upholstery shop and putting inner and outer belt stripping on first and adjusting my windows. I hope to god they will fit this time.

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
One problem may be is, they repop them from originals and late '70's quality being what it was(n't), our cars leaked from brand new. So even if the reproduction is an exact duplicate, still will leak water and air. The trick would be to reengineer the pieces to fix the original design flaws, similar to a lot of the repop parts out there. Just my 3 cents....

Perhaps if enough of us let them know our concern, in a nice way, they might be more willing to look into a better piece. Can't hurt, right?
It worked for carpet. Enough f-body 4 speed guys let the company (forget which right off hand, maybe ACC) know of the demand and one guy sent the floor pans for them to use for the molds and walla,,,,,,4 speed carpet available after a long absence.

On a similar idea, what if those on here and the other FMJ sites kept inquiring to the various companies about parts, they might pay more attention and see if it makes financial sense to them to make a certain part. Some will never be (like '78-'79 Aspen grille due to complexity and high tooling cost). At least Legendary is starting to make seat upholstery for the F-body. Along with Inline Tube and the fuel and brake line kits,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it's a start anyways. Just think, another 20 years and we'll have it as good as the A/B/E body guys!

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
That's what I've been continually saying.
If we don't make our presence known they'll never have a reason to make parts for our cars.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Speaking of weather stripping,,,,,,does anyone have a photo or drawing with dimensions, etc of the hood to cowl seal (the one on the hood in front of the air vents) or if you replaced yours, what did you use? Mine's been gone for eons and not even sure it was there when I bought the car way back when to be honest.

Back