1977 2-door Diplomat

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
That vinyl top on the back is bubbled up. The radiator is thrown back in. It looks like they have the shift linkage tied off to a hood stop. Might be some missing stuff. I doubt how "complete" it is but it's just a roller. Be sure to check underneath.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Rust. The early ones are prone to it especially the front frame areas and you know there's something going on under the vinyl. The tail lights are lebaron ones.
That vinyl top on the back is bubbled up. The radiator is thrown back in. It looks like they have the shift linkage tied off to a hood stop. Might be some missing stuff. I doubt how "complete" it is but it's just a roller. Be sure to check underneath.
The shift linkage looks to be there behind the rod holding the transmission up but yep be expecting to need some parts which should at least be pretty typical m body stuff.

Argos

Reaction score
Thanks for that. I'm not overly concerned about the mechanical stuff - I can handle all that. I am NOT a body & paint guy so bubbles under anything will be the concern. I'm considering swapping in a 426 Hemi (1) 'cause I have it & (2) I've been told the engine compartment is similar to a B-body. If that fails, I'll consider a B-block for the same reasons or the fall back position will be a 360 block stroked to whatever. I'm sure I'll be back here frequently as I've read a bunch of thread already & there is excellent info by some very knowledge folks.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Bubbles under a vinyl top are negotiating point, not a reason to reject the car. So screw him on the price because of the damage. Then peel the vinyl off, clean it up, paint it with a matte white stripe paint and no one will know even at 10ft. It's not a concours car.

Argos

Reaction score
Bubbles under a vinyl top are negotiating point, not a reason to reject the car. So screw him on the price because of the damage. Then peel the vinyl off, clean it up, paint it with a matte white stripe paint and no one will know even at 10ft. It's not a concours car.
True dat! I appreciate ya.

Camtron

Reaction score
Front frame rails and rear quarters (bottom corners behind rear wheels) are prone to rust out. Pop the trunk and look for day light down in the little side storage pockets of the trunk.

Mr C

Reaction score
The E body steering wheel is a nice touch...nice alternative for a "sporty" wheel for one of these.

Back