1977 Aspen R/T build

DCAspen

Reaction score
Update:Headliner repair,1st photo is the swollen cardboard headliner from the mice that lived in this car.Repairs made to the headliner
017.JPG

DCAspen

Reaction score
NOS rear defogger cover,package tray installed,NOS clock,stereo,heater controls,installed
008.JPG
009.JPG
005.JPG

DCAspen

Reaction score
Hey Chris,looks like something is missing in the front

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Excellent work!

I see the pictures (post #’s 21 and 22) but can you describe, in more detail, what you did to your old headliner, please?

Also what you did to finish it (ie: paint, dye, sealant, or whatever), please?
BudW

DCAspen

Reaction score
Bud,I cut out the piss swelled pieces and was able to get some junkyard replacements out of a 80 Aspen.I used fiberglass to join the pieces,easy fix just time consuming as its only thin cardboard material.I had to reshape it 1st by soaking it with water and weighing it down.After I test fit it I plan on sealing it with paint and will cloth cover it to hide the repairs.I'm installing a SE/Deluxe interior with rear armrests.Cloth headliner is part of that package.I'll post the pictures as I do it but our heater in our shop sh*t the bed.I really begining to hate Winter up here more and more.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a water leak in the back of my wagon. I “think” the source is a screw (or two) that missed roof rack screw holes (and made their own new holes) – but that is un-confirmed.

The station wagon headliner is a huge single piece and would be very hard to find a replacement (and even harder to safely transport).

Currently there is no sagging – but that could change.

I would like to find a way to seal the material, somehow – to slow it soaking up moisture – but I might only be dreaming.
Where I live at, the humidity in summer time can stay at 95%+ for months – which doesn’t help much.

When you showed pictures of repairing your cardboard headliner, I took notice.
BudW

DCAspen

Reaction score
The wagon headliners are huge,maybe taking the roof rack off,you could seal the leak and eliminate any headliner worries.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
My long term goal is to keep the roof rack in place. I have seen some NOS “kits” for about $100 and was thinking about getting one and stashing away, when car needs to be restored.

The problem is the roof has several holes in it – with nuts (if you want to call them that) made into the holes. Taking the rack off will just leave a lot of holes.

I think what happened – which I’ve seen before, a worker on assembly line can’t get a screw (or two) in place – so they just keep the trigger down until a new hole is made (in the roof) and calls it done – leaving the original hole/nut wide open, but under the rail bracket(s).
BudW

DCAspen

Reaction score
Its all repaired now,Time to recover it.

DCAspen

Reaction score
Gator,Good luck making one from scratch,It has some funky curves where the seat belts mount.

DCAspen

Reaction score
Do you have the old one to make a templete

Back