1977 Aspen SE Project

dch-65

Reaction score
date 11/7

As of today the motor, convertor and transmission are in the car, that's the good news. Everything fit up great even with the TTI headers on before we dropped it in. Only had to remove the shaft to the steering box and it dropped right in. Probably could have got it in without removing shaft but since the steering box was just replaced it was easier to remove it that fight around it and maybe ding something up. Still waiting for some parts to complete the install. First the driver's side valve cover had a crack in it so waiting for a replacement, going on two weeks now, hope it arrives soon. Also waiting for some "pretty parts" from Marsh to finish up installing the accessories. No pictures but I will try to have them for next update. As soon as everything is in and fired up, the next project will be the exhaust system. I dread that but we will see how things work out.

I could use a little advise from you guys that have seen more of these cars finished than I have. Pretty quick it's time for me to pick out wheels for the car. I plan on keeping the same white color when it is repainted next winter but I would like to put new tires and wheels on the car before spring. I want to stick with what was available in the late seventies, so here are my choices.

1. Leave the 14" Magnum wheels and just get tires(would like wider tires so not too keen on this option)
2. Buy 15" x 8" Magnum wheels with trim ring.
3. Buy 15" x 8" Rally wheels with trim ring.
4. Find wheels off early 4WD truck or cop wheels 15" x 8" and powder coat them white with dog dish chrome cover.
5. Early Crager wheels in 15" x 8"size.

I would really appreciate any ideas or suggestions that you guys could send my way. Also if this post should go in the wheels section please let me know. I went through that section but I didn't see any "F" body examples there.

Thanks for your help
Dave

dch-65

Reaction score
Update 11/11

Motor ,transmission are in the car. Valve cover has finally come in and also recieved Marsh parts . Here are some progress photos of where things stand. Current goal is to have it ready to test drive by end of next week. Around this area that could mean 60 degree weather like we have today or 12" of snow,you never know.
Dave

marsh%20.jpg

marsh%20A.jpg

marsh%20B.jpg

dch-65

Reaction score
Update 11/19

Not done yet but getting kind of close. Seems everyday we find something that isn't quite right. Had to order a vacuum fitting for the power brake unit. Somehow it must have been miss placed or thrown out. Turned the garage upside down but couldn't find it. Also needed to order a longer throttle cable. Looks like everything else will fit just a matter of taking our time to get it done.
Have to revise the above comments. Big hurdle but then again not so big just slowed up things. As you can see in the attached pics the radiator is a BIT HIGH. Everything fit perfect all the original bolt holes for the radiator lined up and it went in perfect however it was suppose to be 2" wider than the original and hold the height. My original equipment one had a leak and was shot. Anyway it came in 2" high and the same width. The guy was great about it ,no big arguement ,just an honest mistake. He will have the new one back to me Friday,so probably fire up tomorrow I hope.
We will have everything back together by end of day Saturday but after that the project will be on hold until after the first of the year. My friend is off to Florida on Sunday and will not return until early January and he is going to be building the exhaust system. So pretty sure there will be no test drives until Spring.

motor%2090%25%20complete.jpg

motor%2090%25%20complete%20A.jpg

motor%2090%25%20complete%20B.jpg

motor%2090%25%20complete%20C.jpg

motor%2090%25%20complete%20D.jpg

dch-65

Reaction score
Test Drive 11/20!!!!!!

TEST DRIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well we got the new radiator yesterday and worked on the car late yesterday and early this morning. Around 11 AM everything was installed and double/tripled checked so we fired it up and let it run for about 10 minutes. Small gas leak took two minutes to fix. OK so here we are car running, sun shining, dry roads and we are out in a very rural part of town. So these two old guys decide they are 20 agian and decide that is no way that we are going to wait until spring to take this car out for a little test and tune drive. So around noon we take it out. Two old guys in a very vanilla white Aspen. WOW!!!!!!!!! unbelievable we drove it about 45 minutes and decided that we might be pushing our luck with the local law enforcement agencies. You hammer this sweet little car and it puts you in the back seat. Actually I couldn't get over how mild it sounds when you are just cruising. But hit the throttle and no bog,lag just pure acceleration! Probably the best thing about the drive was how well the car handled compared to when I first got it. All the suspension changes worked so well it is hard to believe. The handling supprised me more than the engine performance.Can't wait for spring ,this car is going to be a lot of fun to drive,that's for sure. Now my friend Frank can go to Florida and we can plan on a January assault on the exhaust system. He was trying to talk me into trailering it down so we could work on it down there and get in a little more testing . Good idea but not going to happen.
I have attached a few pictures --not quite done with engine compartment. but close .
It's snowing like crazy today so glad we had the chance to drive before the snow came.
VERY HAPPY!!
Dave

test%20drive.jpg

test%20drive%20A.jpg

test%20drive%20B.jpg

test%20drive%20C.jpg

test%20drive%20D.jpg

dch-65

Reaction score
Update 12/22

ALL
First I would like to say a general thanks to everyone that helped,encouraged & advised me this past year on this project. It wouldn't be where it is without your help. I bought the car one year ago this week so there has been a fair amount of progress over that year. You can't see any progress at all looking at the exterior and that is still scheduled for winter next year. We will be starting on the exhaust the first week in January, then replacing the driveshaft with a custom HD unit and finally the tires and wheels. Should be ready for first dry roads in spring. To say I can't wait would be a MAJOR understatement!!!!
I have one question and this is probably something I should know. My goal is to have the car's stance be similiar to a super coupe. So I know or I think, they had rally wheels 15" X 8". I would like to know the back spacing that was standard for these wheels(I think 4.5"). Can anyone give me that info? Also,since I would like to keep the Magnum wheel look if I order Magnum wheels in 15 X 8 with super coupe backspacing would it have a similiar stance? It would seem logical that it would but maybe I'm missing something.
Thanks in advance
Happy Holidays
Dave

dch-65

Reaction score
Paint

The paint was done at my friends shop. I attached some pictures but I'm not sure if they are much help.No one would EVER let me near a paint gun. I'm only allowed to clean up the equipment. But I do remember that it was positioned about 1/4" to 1/2" down. He said he didn't want to go right up to the top edge. The plan is when the car is painted next winter to roll the paint down and finish at the bottom of the hood shelf. Hope that helps.

engine%20compartment%20.jpg

engine%20compartment%20A.jpg

engine%20compartment%20B.jpg

engine%20compartment%20C.jpg

engine%20compartment%20D.jpg

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Well yesterday it was the day to put the motor on the dyno. I have lost a little sleep this past week getting ready for the test. I have attached some pictures as well as the results. The pictures are not very good especially the one through the bullet proof glass but here they are anyway. I had to take a picture of the dyno results because I don't know how to post a PDF file to the site so that is pretty bad as well. I have tried to complete an overall parts list of what when into the motor but have not completed it yet. Pretty good day yesterday lots of smiles . Now it's time to really take a good look at tires.
I am currently in the process of putting the motor back in the car. Waiting for the torque convertor to be completed once he gets the dyno results. Hope to have it back together by end of November. Next big hurdle is fabricating a dual exhaust system for the "F" body. Big problems at the gas tank unless we go out the side which I don't want to do. Anyone with any suggestions or pictures of a completed system I would sure like to hear from them. Talked to TTI and they said they don't have a system for F bodies

Thanks
Dave
Dave, Looks like the sweet spot is 5700 rpm...440 HP with 405 ft lbs of torque

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks Eric for moving my thread. Hope to sometime down the road post some more progress photos. Still waiting for new wheels to come in.
Dave
Man Dave that's been a long time for those wheels...the boat hasn't come in yet.....:D

holmes

Reaction score
I'm not positive if an f-body is the same but I helped a friend move his gas tank over 1 notch on the straps to the pass. side then we installed a Jegs a-body dual exhaust kit on an m-body. We also installed a Heartthrob dual exhaust kit for a 66-67 Chevy II Nova on my Aspen Wagon with very little modification I mean it fit almost like it was made for it. The tailpipes on the Nova kit exited straight down just BEHIND the rear tires. Just some food for thought. :glasses10:

Last edited:

creeds_247

Reaction score
Hell of a build!! Car is looking good with one sweet engine..

dch-65

Reaction score
Wheels & Tires

Well finally got the wheels and tires mounted and put about 100 miles on them to make sure there was no interference problems. Everything worked out pretty well, no problems. I have gone as far as money and time will allow for this year. Next winter I plan to have the car painted but it will stay white and everything exterior will remain original. Some pictures are attached.
Dave

DSC00398.jpg

DSC00400.jpg

DSC00406.jpg

DSC00403.jpg

DSC00401.jpg

DSC00407.jpg

DSC00390.jpg

DSC00389.jpg

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Well finally got the wheels and tires mounted and put about 100 miles on them to make sure there was no interference problems. Everything worked out pretty well, no problems. I have gone as far as money and time will allow for this year. Next winter I plan to have the car painted but it will stay white and everything exterior will remain original. Some pictures are attached.
Dave
Dave a note to remember if you decide to clone your car to an R/T...you will have to loose the vinyl top and the opera windows....to gain the correct look...here's M2C...If your vinyl top is in good condition and there are not rust issues underneath it or around it I would leave it as an SE...

PS where is that tire smoking video..all I saw was the exhaust....:toothy1:

dch-65

Reaction score
Dave a note to remember if you decide to clone your car to an R/T...you will have to loose the vinyl top and the opera windows....to gain the correct look...here's M2C...If your vinyl top is in good condition and there are not rust issues underneath it or around it I would leave it as an SE...

PS where is that tire smoking video..all I saw was the exhaust....:toothy1:

Eric
Well your opinion and Frank's the fellow that has been working on it with me are 100% in agreement. He said the same thing Saturday when I brought it up. That settles it . The car will stay an "SE" and be painted white. I guess it will look just like it does now just a little brighter.
No smoking burn outs until I get another 1500 Miles on the car. Just going to baby it for a few weeks,change the oil at 700 miles and then we will see what she will do.
Dave

Back