1977 LeBaron Heater Core W A/C

77 LeBaron

Reaction score
I have searched up and down the internet for a Heater Core w A/C for my 77 LeBaron they seem to have plenty for no A/C models . What other years will fit my LeBaron ? Will a 1987 5TH Avenue Heater Core fit my car ? I am kind of baffled as to why there are no heater cores for A/C models out there and that would cover the Volare/Aspen, Diplomat/LeBaron and I am sure other Chrysler models . Anyone know where there is one ?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Note: Personally, I HIGHTLY recommend you take your old heater core to get fixed – than to use an aftermarket part.

The aftermarket heater cores do not fit worth a darn and if you can get them to fit somewhat, you may - scratch that, you WILL break something (I know – been there done that several times and have the broken heater/evaporator cases to prove it).

A radiator shop can fix your old core for about the same money you can get this one for, and you will know if will fit correctly, once done.

If you already ordered or purchased the part – then to an in-depth comparison between the two cores before installing. If the metal bracket work doesn’t match exactly, then don’t try it. Go take both cores to a radiator shop and they can swap the metal work from one to the other core.

Also – if existing heater hoses are more than say 5-7 years, then just cut old hoses off and replace with new.
If hoses are a couple of years old, then remove clamps and give the hoses a twist. If they pop off, then great. It not – you might still have to end up cutting them off. The heater hose tubes sometimes are different with aftermarket heater cores – so old tubes might need to be saved.
BudW

77 LeBaron

Reaction score
I will probably try it your way Bud I will not be starting the repairs until late fall . I am not a pro at any of this work and need to locate competent , honest and reasonable mechanics .

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I have replaced hundreds of heater cores over the years.
The one in the ‘77’s might be one of top 10 “easier” ones out there, to replace.
That said, if you hadn’t done one before – it can be a bit intimidating.

Tell you what – when you get within a week or so to do it, let me know. I will make an actual pictorial example on how to do, and what tools will be needed.

I know Slant6Billy has a video he took, but I can’t find the link. You might be able to find it in Google, maybe.
For some reason, I work better using pictures, than I do a video – but that might be me.
BudW

77 LeBaron

Reaction score
I have replaced hundreds of heater cores over the years.
The one in the ‘77’s might be one of top 10 “easier” ones out there, to replace.
That said, if you hadn’t done one before – it can be a bit intimidating.

Tell you what – when you get within a week or so to do it, let me know. I will make an actual pictorial example on how to do, and what tools will be needed.

I know Slant6Billy has a video he took, but I can’t find the link. You might be able to find it in Google, maybe.
For some reason, I work better using pictures, than I do a video – but that might be me.
BudW
Thankyou Bud I really like the way you do your pictorial posts they are better than the shop manuals and even a novice like I can understand them. I plan on doing the repairs in the fall , but feel free to post them at anytime that is convenient for you. I will probably have to study and copy them for a month before I even attempt the task. And the information would be a great help to other FMJ members who will probably have to perform the same procedure now or in the future .

Back