1977 Lebaron Turbine Video

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
http://autosofinterest.com/2015/03/24/video-1977-chrysler-lebaron-turbine-test-car/
1977-Chrysler-LeBaron-Turbine-test-car-fl2.jpg

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Interesting part of the video is that at the beginning they are prepping a turbine engine for installation into a Volare. I thought the last turbine engines were fitted into 75 Fury's.

SRTMirada

Reaction score
As far as I know the last turbine car was a Mirada. Where are these cars now? Does anyone know?

SRTMirada

Reaction score
Crushed and scrapped.
How can you be sure? Maybe a museum somewhere has one. I know of at least one that made it into private hands. (Jay Leno) Allot would probably have to do with who owned them. I'm not sure if the last generation was owned by Chrysler or The Department of Energy.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
The 63's where from a time with different legalities.
Remember they crushed all those Viper prototypes due to modern legalities.

I've been looking for any trace of the F/M/J era turbines for over 20 yrs and long before the Germans bought Mopar.
Chrysler Heritage had no information then.

metallicaman0258

Reaction score
I heard a rumor that the turbine program continued until 1980 and that they had installed one into a LeBaron in the late 70's. This is the first media confirmation I've seen to support the hearsay.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
The last turbine kick of the can was a K car, but never actually got a engine.
Just blueprints and a foam engine mock up.

By that time the program looked good as most of the faults had been addressed.
Might have been feasible if Chrysler wasn't hurting for cash at the time and got out.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
The 63's where from a time with different legalities.
Remember they crushed all those Viper prototypes due to modern legalities.

I've been looking for any trace of the F/M/J era turbines for over 20 yrs and long before the Germans bought Mopar.
Chrysler Heritage had no information then.

Very true.
I remember the Vipers.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
In the last kick of the can, the K car turbine was lighter than the previous platforms and 90hp was more suited in small car.

With all the lip service about fossil fuels, boiled down to a very simple solution.
If the EPA ran with the ball, if there were 10% turbine,10% electric and 10% other like bio, propane, natural gas, plus diesel, there would be 40 or 50% drop in demand for gasoline just like that.

Mr C

Reaction score
I love the look of the LeBaron turbine-it's like they grafted the J body Imperial nose on to the M body.

Last edited:

80mirada

Reaction score
The Mirada and the Aspen were production "pilot" cars. They both reportedly had V-8 VIN codes and were converted after their stint with the dept. of energy. The other production based cars they used in the program had various fates ranging from conversion back to regular configuration, sold cheap to factory race teams to become race cars, or crushed. The Lebaron was shown to be in Chrysler Historical's collection, but I don't know if it was ever displayed or still existed.

Back