1977 Mexican Spec Dodge Valiant Coupe

Mexican Spec

Reaction score
I thought you guys would want to see this car.

It is a 1977 Dodge Valiant.

It has the 225 slant 6 under the hood, but what stood out to me was the factory floor mounted shifter.

You could put a V8 under the hood and have a screaming car.

This is not a Super bee, but rather a normal base model coupe.

77dary-EDOMEX-orangeA-04.jpg
77dary-EDOMEX-orangeA-03.jpg
77dary-EDOMEX-orangeA-02.jpg
77dary-EDOMEX-orangeA-05.jpg
77dary-EDOMEX-orangeA-07.jpg
77dary-EDOMEX-orangeA-11.jpg
77dary-EDOMEX-orangeA-14.jpg
77dary-EDOMEX-orangeA-16.jpg
77dary-EDOMEX-orangeA-18.jpg
77dary-EDOMEX-orangeA-20.jpg

Aspen500

Reaction score
Sounds weird to say Dodge Valiant. Nice looking car :cool:

The slant six with a 4 speed O/D is relatively common for an f-body. My Aspen was originally just that.

Mexican Spec

Reaction score
Sounds weird to say Dodge Valiant. Nice looking car :cool:

The slant six with a 4 speed O/D is relatively common for an f-body. My Aspen was originally just that.
I am not sure I would say the 4 on the floor was common. The overwhelming majority of these cars were automatic.

The 4 on the floor opens the possibilities to something a little stronger under the hood without looking like it on the outside.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Guess I meant quite a few were built 225/4-speed more than that they were common. I've seen wagons and sedans with the 4-speed also but of course, those are in the minority. Could be different between Mexico and USA too, I don't know. You're right about the majority being automatics.

It's always interesting to learn the differences in a car depending on where it was built to be sold such as USA, Mexico, European export, etc. or that the Valiant name was used on a Dodge, when here it was only on Plymouth a-body from 1960-1976. I noticed also the Mexico f-bodies had higher h.p. ratings than we got here, for example of another difference.

Mexican Spec

Reaction score
Guess I meant quite a few were built 225/4-speed more than that they were common. I've seen wagons and sedans with the 4-speed also but of course, those are in the minority. Could be different between Mexico and USA too, I don't know. You're right about the majority being automatics.

It's always interesting to learn the differences in a car depending on where it was built to be sold such as USA, Mexico, European export, etc. or that the Valiant name was used on a Dodge, when here it was only on Plymouth a-body from 1960-1976. I noticed also the Mexico f-bodies had higher h.p. ratings than we got here, for example of another difference.
Car were built here to use the crappy gasoline we had.

For example the AMC type vehicles had a 4.6L engine when the US cars had a 4.2L.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
A nice car. Trying to find the hood part that says Valiant might be fun but most of the other items look like normal F-body parts. A833 w/OD was fairly common with /6's but really hard to find with 318/360's in the US.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Not sure of other years but by 1979 the manual trans wasn't available with V-8 (according to the dealership brochure anyways). Most likely an emissions thing. Would expect maybe still available with V-8 in Mexico or export (?) Just a curiosity thing is all. If I'm wrong on any of that. I'm sure I'll be corrected :cool:

One thing I always thought was odd, no optional console for a manual trans car, at least in the U.S.

Last edited:

Mexican Spec

Reaction score
Not sure of other years but by 1979 the manual trans wasn't available with V-8 (according to the dealership brochure anyways). Most likely an emissions thing. Would expect maybe still available with V-8 in Mexico or export (?) Just a curiosity thing is all. If I'm wrong on any of that. I'm sure I'll be corrected :cool:

One thing I always thought was odd, no optional console for a manual trans car, at least in the U.S.
Well this one is a slant 6 car. Only the Super Bee had the V8 in Mexico.

Last edited:

pioneer61

Reaction score
I have a 72 Valiant Super Bee waiting it's turn in restoration. The minute differences are remarkable. For example, the glass says "seguridad" on it and the marker lights are completely plain...no DOT numbers, no part number, no Pentastar. The washer reservoir (which i'm missing) has Automex stamped on it, rather than Chrysler. I really can't wait to start dumping time and money into this project.

20220204_191347.jpg

Mexican Spec

Reaction score
I have a 72 Valiant Super Bee waiting it's turn in restoration. The minute differences are remarkable. For example, the glass says "seguridad" on it and the marker lights are completely plain...no DOT numbers, no part number, no Pentastar. The washer reservoir (which i'm missing) has Automex stamped on it, rather than Chrysler. I really can't wait to start dumping time and money into this project.

View attachment 46248
I have a magazine somewhere that shows the stripe packages each year Super Bee is supposed to have.

If I can find it I will post some pictures for your car.

Back