B26BCDB0-C00A-4666-9B7C-36F82C7C53F8.jpeg
D6D4CAC4-CEA6-4984-ABB6-5DDCBA68BEB4.jpeg
3EEABEBF-9452-4876-94A5-CC97C8DD3DFA.jpeg
464E8C86-26C7-4E50-B412-FB77D15E1327.jpeg
ADCE3243-E06B-4DD2-B2DC-450632FE004F.jpeg
86DAA997-1BB7-4357-855B-D4E24E836617.jpeg
9D7EECAB-DD8D-4383-B48C-04BBD16298EB.jpeg
C1B7BBF8-4E83-4C9C-831C-A3026F31EBFD.jpeg
1978 mustang. Super solid no rot , everything works even wiper washers, factory 302 car, has 71 302, has rebuilt 4 speed trans, runs strong, drives good. Could use some front end work but very driveable as is. Power steering / brakes. Ac car, but not installed but included. New tank , fuel pump , carb , motor and trans mounts, belts, rebuilt trans, $4500.00.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Those cars were so cool when new. I always liked them as a fun alternative to the Pintos.

mike2

Reaction score
It is a sleeper. 13” tires peel like a banana lol. Only one at car shows. Sounds like a foxbody going thru the gears. Great bracket car too.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
I did not think you could get a 302 in those from the factory.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Some of those came factory with a V8. Not sure it was a 302, it may have been a smaller V8 (255 or so), but a small block Ford either way. I think the King Cobra editions were 302s. Still weren't very fast, considering the CR and the pollution equipment was primitive from the factory.

mike2

Reaction score
Got some fun facts on the mustang ll 1975-78 only years for 302 , all 302 factory cars have an F in vin code , weather coupe, hatch,king cobra, 302 have special oil pan just for mustang ll, there is a tag by radiator on support that shows V8 on build tag , and all V8 cars have plastic auxillary tank in driver quarter panel . the 302 was 135 hp ,the one in car is a 1971 302 with 190 hp plus the 4 barrel and duals. these cars were all painted body color like mopars , engine bay ,trunk, under car . I have Mach 1 hood and scoop in excellent shape and some extras for a few extra$

Aspen500

Reaction score
I remember the 255,,,,,,,,not one of Ford's better engines to say the least. They usually lasted about 50,000 miles and then self destructed (Ford dealer tech from 1985-2007 here).
Had a buddy with a '78(?) Mach 1 back in the early '80's and it was a 302. While not quick by today's standards, it was fairly respectable for the era, as far as bone stock cars go. Would blow the doors (and hood, and deck lid, and windows,,,,,) off my other friends '74 Mustang II Ghia with it's anemic 2.8L, even with it's factory dual exhaust. Always wondered about that exhaust. I mean, what was the point? it wouldn't have been in the teens in the 1/4, more like low 20's. It was SO slow it was almost dangerous. Still, was better than a Mustang II with a 2.3L and automatic I drove while at the Ford dealership. 0-60 must have been in the 20 second range, provided there was a strong tailwind. It was horrible. Sorry, I get off on a tangent once in a while.:oops:

Trey

Reaction score
Good looking coupe. I love the Mustang II's but unfortunately they have gotten too hard for me to get in and out of. I have owned and built several of them over the years and if anyone may need parts for one I have a few parts cars out back.

DSCN0815.JPG

Aspen500

Reaction score
I don't have a spare tire but my Mustang is getting harder to get out of and the Aspen also to some extent but it's seats are a little higher off the ground and it doesn't have sills as wide or deep as the Mustang's. Getting older sucks (he says, preaching to the choir). Neither car is going anywhere as long as I'm on the green side of the ground so, I better get used to it:D

Trey

Reaction score
These cars got a bad rap in the 80's and 90's, which was undeserved. I started/driving restoring these cars back in the late 90's and there were no parts available, that's how I ended up with all the parts cars. They are becoming more popular but still are seldom seen at car shows, unless it's a Mustang only show.
The dark blue/red interior on your car is a rare color combo. In fact, I've only seen that combination on 2 cars and they were both hatchbacks. With that color and v-8/4 speed it's quite the unicorn. With a Marti report you could find out just how rare it is. Estimates I've heard are only 25% of the 1.1 million cars produced were factory v-8's and only 25% of that number had 4 speeds, the rest were autos. Looks like it has the convenience group also - int. wipers, clock, day-night mirror, pass. vanity mirror and R&L body color outside mirrors.
Good luck with the sale, it looks like a very solid car that's nicely optioned. If it wasn't for my bad back I'd still be driving one. I'm still building them though. Here's the last one I worked on that was finished up last summer. A true t-top king cobra w/ 347 stroker, 5 speed. 3 link rear widened rear wells w/ 315-17 rear tire, 275-17 fronts etc. etc.

DSCN2046.gif

mike2

Reaction score
Trey , very nice king cobra thanks for some more facts, its factory auto car, but was converted with all factory 4 speed parts from previous owner. But true 302 car factory colors .

Trey

Reaction score
Here's what the basic Marti report can tell you. This one is $15 he has reports that cost more that tell you a lot more about your car.
marti-report.gif

Last edited:

Rattle Trap

Reaction score
Wow Trey! That's an impressive parts lot and I love the King! Good luck with sale Mike. I don't suppose there's a lot of opportunity on Mopar boards to share this sort of stuff, so I'll add my project here. Maybe it will drag the post back up top for more people to look at the coupe for sale.

Mine's a spring 77 C-II LeMans stripe 302 4spd, with the black out trim and deluxe door panels on standard black interior. Was a fairly solid car excepting hatch and trunk floor out of New York a year ago. I think it's a complimentary addition to my Mopars from this era. Just swapped in a 3.80 geared Maverick 8" with Torino backing plates using Mopar F-body drums. I've got 1" blocks on the springs but have 2" ordered to drop it further. Plus I need to move the axle back on the springs. Never seen a car with such a tight front wheel lip radius. But then, it was never designed for 295/50-15's either.

20191217_173414.jpg

mike2

Reaction score
Rattle trap , nice project. They are great additions to the F body collections. I think im going to paint bumpers black and i have a cobra hood and scoop to put on. Maybe paint the hood and scoop black too. Spring coming and still have car to take to shows. Think once someone sees it and hears it they will have to have it.

Rattle Trap

Reaction score
I had a 2.3L coupe just after high school. Economical work car for the day but man was it a slug. This is the first one I've had since. Seems pretty peppy but came with bad brakes so I don't really know other than yard driving it. And that was before doing the 5 lug conversion. Hoping the nice new Richmond gears keep the Rad4 alive for a few minutes before being forced to do a T5 swap too. But I already figured both trans up before selecting the ratio knowing that's coming. Concentrating on doing body mods to make it more of an old meets new, on the transitional body style right now. Wait til you see the nose. Old school with hints of a '14 & '21. Not showing that til it's in steel tho.

C2MachFlare3.jpg

mike2

Reaction score
Wow. I like the tail panel and lights your grafting in. That really will make it . The more modern look to front will be really interesting to see as well. Seems like all FMJ owners like a lot of everything . Myself included. The rad 4 i rebuilt cheap $120. Seems to hold gears well. 5 speed really needed for longer highway runs . Good luck with project looks great.

Rattle Trap

Reaction score
Yeah, as it turns out, a Mustang is a Mustang, is a Mustang. And while things push a little this way and that, they're actually all about the same size. The 70 tail panel and bumper almost fit right on like they were supposed to. The 71 trunk floor is being another issue at the moment. But that tank gives me 4.25" between the springs for exhaust out each side thru the rear valence. Yeah, eventually I'll go four link and coils, but that's a bigger fish to fry and I want this driveable soon! There's some structural work to making the front how I want it too tho. So I'm just working with the functional end first and trying my best to just let that ride even though I want it all done last month. While I've come to hate myself sometimes for how I can't just make whatever body mods I want to my F & M bodies, because it would be "WRONG", I'm really having fun making a greatest hits mix with this C-II. Hoping just establishing the tail gets me feeling right again for a while and I can get back to concentrating on side-by-side build up's of our White R/T's. I'm really hoping another member is willing to help on the gold stripes they need so I'm 100% certain that I get it right. Cuz you know, that matters to me with my Mopars!

Did I mention, I really Love your Coupe? Not enough to buy more than one Mustang for myself, but I hope somebody else likes it enough to need one in their stable. That's a pretty spectacular color combo! I wish my interior color were anything other than black. That Red is So Beautiful!

Trey

Reaction score
Don't feel bad about cutting on your MII Rattle Trap, they made a whole bunch of them and they will likely never be worth what the 65-70 models are. The King cobras, Mach 1's, and the cobras are just now starting to bring decent money but even they aren't bringing what a 65-70 model brings in similar condition. I like the '70 tail panel. I've seen the 71-73 taillights grafted in one and it didn't look near as good.

The King cobra I posted a pic of has a 3 link with a Watt's link and a 6 point roll cage. It was built to auto cross. It has a 2x3 tube frame for the rear of the car with a fuel cell. It even has the gas filler behind the license plate (the only GM parts on the car).

Mike2 I like your plans for your coupe, the front spoiler really sets them off. The t-5 swap isn't too bad of a job, you just have to decide whether you'll use the Mustang II bell and flywheel or swap over to the 83-93 fox body stuff. The fox body stuff is easier to source but you'll have to stick with stock manifolds or custom headers. If you look to rebuild the RAD trans again (Borg Warner calls it the SR4 - single rail 4 speed), the early 80's Jeep uses the same trans and parts are a lot cheaper. The sliders, forks, synchros, gaskets etc. are all the same. The v-8 Mustang uses different gear ratios and input and output shafts, and they are extremely hard to find. Good luck to both you guys driving the red headed step child of the Mustang world, they really are a lot of fun.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back