1979 Aspen Gauge Cluster Problems

Dylan Bobek

Reaction score
So today I pulled the gauge cluster on my 1979 dodge aspen to change some bulbs and before I pulled it out the fuel and temp gauges worked perfectly now they don’t do anything if anybody can help it would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone wanna to know my amp meter still works

Aspen500

Reaction score
There's a chance the metal "clips" the gauge posts stick into, fell out of the printed circuit board. Pull it back out and see. There should be 2 for every gauge. Also possible, even if still in there that they lost contact with the printed circuit. The set up used for the clusters isn't the best design I've ever seen, to be honest.

Dylan Bobek

Reaction score
There's a chance the metal "clips" the gauge posts stick into, fell out of the printed circuit board. Pull it back out and see. There should be 2 for every gauge. Also possible, even if still in there that they lost contact with the printed circuit. The set up used for the clusters isn't the best design I've ever seen, to be honest.
Yeah after it didn’t work I pulled it back out to clean the contacts and nothing worked do you know how to safely pull that printed board out

Aspen500

Reaction score
There's 2 small crews holding it to the dash, then just pull straight out and unhook the 2 harness connectors, unless they unplug themselves when pulling the circuit board out. Be careful with the connectors. The pins on the board can break off without too much effort.

Dylan Bobek

Reaction score
There's 2 small crews holding it to the dash, then just pull straight out and unhook the 2 harness connectors, unless they unplug themselves when pulling the circuit board out. Be careful with the connectors. The pins on the board can break off without too much effort.
Thanks I’ll try that and tell you how it goes

Dylan Bobek

Reaction score
Update got it out fine gonna try and replace the voltage regulator just as a precautionary since I have it off

EDA55303-B714-4421-A8B5-61744BF96A8B.jpeg

FF57E966-B1B1-4D8E-8567-D6F5A73449AE.jpeg

Aspen500

Reaction score
Well, that would make the fuel and temp gauges inop but not affect the amp gauge so, hopefully you get lucky:cool:

Pop the gauge post terminals out of the board and make sure the spot they contact the printed circuit at is clean while it's apart.

Dylan Bobek

Reaction score
Well, that would make the fuel and temp gauges inop but not affect the amp gauge so, hopefully you get lucky:cool:

Pop the gauge post terminals out of the board and make sure the spot they contact the printed circuit at is clean while it's apart.
Yeah thanks, that’s what I was thinking since the temp and fuel gauge do nothing might as well replace it while it’s all apart but other than that I’ll clean all the contacts up and I’ll update you when it goes back together

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I mean no harm by this but just general observation (you should see my garage). I don't think I've ever seen both of these items in this close proximity before:
61744BF96A8B.jpg

D6F5A73449AE.jpg

BudW

Dylan Bobek

Reaction score
Update- everything works it was a fuse that had went bad, thanks for all your answers, if anyone wanted to see the car

image.jpg

B99A1DC2-809D-4560-941A-6661FECDD732.jpeg

1F98B6DC-F1AF-4BD9-B7BB-B253B2148D3C.jpeg

image.jpg

Aspen500

Reaction score
thumbs up.jpe

That wedge is for when you've checked, rechecked and tried every possible thing you can think of, and it still doesn't work, lol!

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Its like having a BFH (3 pound sledge) nearby.
You may (hopefully) never use it but sense its in view of your current project it seams to go more likely in your way, than to develop additional problems (which will happen if you use the before mentioned BFH).
BudW

Back