1980ish Mirada build

Projects & Restorations

1. MiradaMegacab

MiradaMegacab Well-Known Member

I don't have access to the part#'s. I tried looking on Diamond Pistons website but had no luck. I used their 2618 forged piston 4.030 with a -30cc dish and 1.55 compression height. Diamond charges $8 per piston to relocate the valve reliefs. The 2616 forging and deep -30cc dish is perfect for boost and results in a 8.5CR. I'm running a 65cc head and 10PSI of boost.
    I figured a 3.79 stroke divided by 2= 1.895 + 6.125 rod= 8.02- 9.58 deck height= 1.56 compression height, resulting in the pistons being .010 in the hole.
    So pretty much if your using a 3.79 crank, look for a piston with around a 1.56CH.
    Using a 6.123 it a longer 6.125 K1 rod will get your deck height close.

Shorty Thompson likes this.
  2. Shorty Thompson

Shorty Thompson Well-Known Member

The Silvolite 1278 pistons are flattops . Not to mention that since I'm milling them , they'd be flats anyway. I,,,,,,,, talked alot to my machinist about 50 - 150 shot of NOS . He said WHOA ! Your heading way ,,,,,,,,,into another direction with that , and I'm not gonna lead you down the wrong way to build for this . If ya wanna do that , then we need to recoup and do things way ,,,,,,,, differently . So ,,,,, I'll be happy with the compression ratio of about 9:2 . My heads are stock 340/360 high performance ( supposedly ) for this build . Stock rods , 6.125 , 360 rods . Now I have a set of 5.9 magnum heads , but I still have the magnum they're bolted to as well . Time will tell this summer as to where I'm at .

3. Shorty Thompson

Picked up some drag radials tonight . Think I got a good deal . Also bought a new trailer today as well . Gonna be racing this year or bust trying .

4. Shorty Thompson

Update on my motor build, My piston location ;
    [​IMG]

5. Steve2961

Steve2961 Active Member

What's the latest on the 360 crank in the 318 build?

6. Shorty Thompson

Crank's in . Went in with no hassles. Been working long hours every week and just haven't had the time to finish putting it together .

7. Steve2961

Steve2961 Active Member

Sweet. I just happen to think about it and wondered how it was coming.

8. Shorty Thompson

Well thanks for remembering ! Son's got the Mirada now. Gave it to him with provisions. 1. if ever decided to get rid of it he had to pay " in full " for it . 2. it had to go to my grand daughter , his oldest , then to his son , the youngest. Right mow he's looking at a 5.9 Magnum build . I'm thinking he's doing a 408 build.