1981 Imperial fuel injection conversion.

Reaction score
What’s the best way to convert the factory fuel injection system to a more reliable system on a 1981 Imperial?

Cordoba1

Reaction score
There are several ways to go forward. You'll need an intake, carb, and ignition system. I performed this conversion years ago by installing an Edelbrock intake, Holley 4bbl, and Mopar Performance ignition system. The Mopar kit comes with a vacuum advance distributor and all the electronics required. I used the existing in-tank electric fuel pump -- but lowered the fuel pressure by installing an under-hood fuel-pressure regulator (and guage) to lower the pressure to about 5PSI. If you have all the parts together, and have a good understanding of what you're looking at, the project can be done in a (long) day. It'll take more time to get everything dialed.

All THAT being said, I'd do it differently today: I'd investigate modern ignition systems, and potentially bolt on fuel injection. It has gotten really good, and not too expensive.

If you have big bucks, you could look into crate motors that have all this work done for you, too.

There are lots of options. Search these forums as others have documented their journeys, as well.

Keep us posted!

Back