1983 Imperial dead for 20 years, what to do with it?

Paul_G

Reaction score
It is not mine. This car needs to go from where it has been sitting. The family wants it gone. I am told they have the title. I am sure the desert sun has burnt the paint off and destroyed the interior, but it has been in the dry Arizona desert it's entire life, call it rust free. Going to see it this morning. Can you give me some price ideas, range from scrap value on up. I have a rough idea of just making a hot rod out of it. Something different. I am really thinking of just paying scrap value, but what would that even be?

Camtron

Reaction score
It is not mine. This car needs to go from where it has been sitting. The family wants it gone. I am told they have the title. I am sure the desert sun has burnt the paint off and destroyed the interior, but it has been in the dry Arizona desert it's entire life, call it rust free. Going to see it this morning. Can you give me some price ideas, range from scrap value on up. I have a rough idea of just making a hot rod out of it. Something different. I am really thinking of just paying scrap value, but what would that even be?
Scrap value around Chicago is $250-$500 on average for most vehicles.
If all the plastic filler panels on the body are still intact, offer $500. $250 if they’re damaged/cracked or missing cause your odds of getting replacements are slim to none without finding another donor car.

Paul_G

Reaction score
This is it. Alongside a 72 Sat

17130270029784238949580919113286.jpg

Paul_G

Reaction score
I called a local junk yard. Desert Valley, offered $100 if I bring it in.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Wow. I know buy cheap sell high is how places like that stay in business because it's not like they have non stop cash rolling in but they'd probably charge that much for only one part off it.

You could get more parting it out yourself as long as there's some good stuff on it. It might be worth trying to sell whole before parting it out or scrapping it.

Camtron

Reaction score
I’ve seen one real nice factory stock sitting on market for $9k for the last 5 years near me. Haven’t seen one on the road in years. When I see them online, they’re normally someone’s weekend track car. That front end looks real clean on that one side in that photo. If it has all the plastic filler panels intact and the body is straight, it’s worth saving if you want to make a tire fryer or clean it up a little.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
If it needs to go, and you can haul it out, you're doing them a favor by paying $50 more than scrap.

Scrap bounces around, I had a van I bought for $200 in 2019 because the junkyard offered $180. Ran, drove, stopped, but overheated. I threw a can of aluminum stop leak/head gasket in a bottle in the radiator and drove the hell out of it for two years. Sold it for scrap at $325.

Buy it to drive it or race it. You'll have it a long time if you try to part it

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
The fillers and imperial only parts ususlly sell pretty fast if they're realistically priced.
The aluminum bumpers sell good too because in some climates they corrode and peel.
If it still has fuel injection and you can get it running people like those parts and if it has the factory conversion those parts if in decent shape are usually wanted too.
Its definitely not worth getting into if you don't have the space or you're expecting to make a lot off it.

Back