1988 Grand Fury

CM360

Reaction score
Did anything change with these vehicles since 1980? My 1980 Diplomat is the closest I got to these EPA smog rollers. Found one with 55K. Not sure what Chrysler did or didn't to produce these cars.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
If I understand the question, as to what is different between emissions between your ’80 Diplomat and an ’88 Gran Fury?

All ’88 M’s got full emissions, except for a very few exports (outside of USA or Canada). That does include a computer-controlled carburetor/ignition system, 3-cat exhaust system (one underneath each exhaust manifold and one by transmission), A.I.R. (aka smog) pump with switching valve (sends air to both exhaust manifolds or to rear cat, depending on computer programming), EGR valve and a charcoal canister (for fuel vapor control). Maybe even a few other emission controls – but the ones mentioned are the more important ones.

The ’80 could have the same exact system (for California sales), but most '80 FMJ’s would fall under either of these other two categories:
Light Emissions: Single cat converter (by transmission), no A.I.R. pump system – but exhaust manifolds and/or cat converter would have fresh air sucked through an aspirator valve via hose to air cleaner, EGR valve, a charcoal canister (fuel vapor control). It may or might not have a computer on air cleaner that controls ignition timing (only).

Medium Emissions: same as Light except it will not have an aspirator valve but an A.I.R. pump system with diverter valves that sends air to exhaust manifolds or to cat converter depending on engine temp (only sends to exhaust manifolds when engine is not yet at operating temp). It may nor might not have a computer on air cleaner that controls ignition timing (only).

Except for computer controlling ignition system only (if equipped) vs. computer controlling fuel and ignition, the 3-cat system and A.I.R. pump system, most all other emission parts are mostly the same.

Most ’81 and newer came with A.I.R. pumps and 3-cat system, standard. I don’t know the percentage but would say maybe 50%+ of ’80 FMJ’s did not come with A.I.R. pump system nor with 3-cats.

If this is what you are asking about, can you elaborate on your question?
BudW

FredMcJoe

Reaction score
Chrysler moved the M body assembly to the Kenosha WI plant for the 1988 model year. With that change came a substantially improved front suspension K member (proper tensile strength steel, stiffer shock towers, improved welding of the halves) and near-full undercarriage galvanizing. The 88 and 89 years are the keepers of the bunch.

Ele115

Reaction score
If you found a nice 88 it's worth considering. As Bud stated, it's full emissions and the last ones seemed to be the nicest ones. The changes to trim were minor. Let us know if you bring it home. They are getting harder to find.

89.Fifth

Reaction score
Chrysler moved the M body assembly to the Kenosha WI plant for the 1988 model year. With that change came a substantially improved front suspension K member (proper tensile strength steel, stiffer shock towers, improved welding of the halves) and near-full undercarriage galvanizing. The 88 and 89 years are the keepers of the bunch.

Everyone says that but I've owned 3 cars and I don't know if I agree. I've had an 84, an 86, and now an 89. The 84 and 86 were by far the best built of the lot. The 86 had the best build and ride quality and all the little bits like primer and rustproofing were great. My 89 however barely has enough paint and primer in some areas and everything from the sheet metal to the headliner is of a thinner gauge. My buddy Matt has an 89 and 84 and agrees with me. He's a former Chrysler tech so he used to work on these when they were new.

I'm not sure what to believe in that regard. I'm happy with my 89 don't get me wrong, but there's some things that leave me a little unsure.

FredMcJoe

Reaction score
ya, my 88 5th Ave doesn't have the fur-carpeting of the earlier years, and the door interior panel trim pieces were a low quality update for that year. The Plymouth & Dodge models wouldn't have had those changes necessarily. The upgraded subframe is the big item. There is a story of how the Calif Hiway Patrol highly encouraged Chrysler to make good on a redesigned subframe for all the front tires they had to replace. Chrysler eventually got around to it if for only the 2 model years.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Huh, my car had that shag interior and it's an 87. I found an 88 with a mint interior of the same color, but it had regular carpet and door panels to match. I hate shag, and mine was, well, shagged so I swapped it all, door panels included. Didn't really notice and quality difference in the material.

Can't speak to any other differences though. My 87 is the only M I've ever owned.

Back