1989 Diplomat glass loose

MARCH374

Reaction score
The driver's door glass is very loose when i bring the window down. Before i take off door panel to check what should i have in advance

to fix it, Thanks

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
It's probably the bushings/rollers in the motor gear. Unless the screws or nuts that hold the glass on come loose there's not much more to go in there.

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
The driver's door glass is very loose...

What do you mean by that?

As in: in and out when you wobble it back and forth, or is it side to side (so front to back), almost like it's tiltight forward and backward?

I'm thinking that could also be the felt/whisker covered glass locators that position the glass. They may have just wore down, or most likely just need adjusting.

Take a look at the attched photo. This is a coupe door, but you'll spot the two locators pushing against the glass. They are bolted down and as you can tell can be adjusted accordingly.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
One thing that is not mentioned is if car is a 2-door or a 4-door (or wagon) - which makes a difference.

The 4-door (and wagon) door glass is surrounded by a metal frame. Both front doors have a window run channel that goes into the metal frame and glass slides in front/rear & top part of glass. Both rear doors, the run channel is for front and top edge of door glass. the rear edge of rear door glass has a slide.
Both front and rear door glasses have an attachment to window regulator on bottom edge of glass.
If a door glass is loose, we need a bit more information as to up/down, front/rear or inside/outside movement (or combination of the above), to help point as to what to look for.

The window run channel is one really long piece. This is a picture of it on my '86 Fifth Ave, which is broken. I pulled it out a portion to get a good picture of it and need to find a replacement.
20160830_114411.jpg

FMJ 2-door cars are a bit different sense there is no frame around the door glass.
BudW

MARCH374

Reaction score
What do you mean by that?

As in: in and out when you wobble it back and forth, or is it side to side (so front to back), almost like it's tiltight forward and backward?

I'm thinking that could also be the felt/whisker covered glass locators that position the glass. They may have just wore down, or most likely just need adjusting.

Take a look at the attched photo. This is a coupe door, but you'll spot the two locators pushing against the glass. They are bolted down and as you can tell can be adjusted accordingly.
Sorry for late reply. Wobbles back and forth. Manual windows also. Thanks

Back