1989 Fifth Avenue Overhead console not working.

Jad

Reaction score
Hello, so I have 2 overhead consoles stored but neither worked for the last 5 years. Tested for grounds and positive power going in, turns out I have power running into the plug and it's well grounded. Map lights in the console do work though when plugged, it's just that the temperature/direction display never lights up. Anyone ever had a problem with those? Any help is appreciated.

20231013_193215.jpg

IMG-20231013-WA0092.jpeg

IMG-20231117-WA0038.jpeg

20230831_154630.jpg

20230929_174819.jpg

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
It's strange that two don't work. There are multiple ground and power sources to it.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Like he said. There will be a power and ground for the lights, and another power and ground(s) for the electronic portion.

Duke5A

Reaction score
That overhead board is completely different compared to mine. Mine had issues so replaced two silicon controlled rectifiers and four diodes. But I don't think any of it would apply to yours.

Jad

Reaction score
That overhead board is completely different compared to mine. Mine had issues so replaced two silicon controlled rectifiers and four diodes. But I don't think any of it would apply to yours.
If you meant the other board, I thought this it just related to the map lights? Yes I have 1 diode that's shot because one light won't light up when the doors are open, but I never related it to the compass display, did the diode fix your problem?

20231231_173052.jpg

Jad

Reaction score
Like he said. There will be a power and ground for the lights, and another power and ground(s) for the electronic portion.
I wonder if someone knows or has some kind of diagram for this plug and it's wiring. I'll follow them one by one.

Last edited:

Jad

Reaction score
It's strange that two don't work. There are multiple ground and power sources to it.
So far I've got 3 powers and 2 grounds running into the plug, nothing add on with the acc on though. What confuses me is that it's a 9-plug pin that only has 5 plugs functioning on my car at least lol. I really want to figure this out because the console has been sitting in my trunk for months now waiting for me to finally figure it out.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
This should give you some idea.
Pink and yellow are the interior lighting circuits.
The rest is the dufferent power sources, headlight for dimming etc.

Mine has that diode problem too that the lights don't come on with the doors. I never knew they were supposed to until someone said it years ago.

20240113_205630.jpg

Jad

Reaction score
This should give you some idea.
Pink and yellow are the interior lighting circuits.
The rest is the dufferent power sources, headlight for dimming etc.

Mine has that diode problem too that the lights don't come on with the doors. I never knew they were supposed to until someone said it years ago.

View attachment 51845
Thanks Mike! Really appreciate the help. I'll start that hunt after I get some work done.

Duke5A

Reaction score
If you meant the other board, I thought this it just related to the map lights? Yes I have 1 diode that's shot because one light won't light up when the doors are open, but I never related it to the compass display, did the diode fix your problem?

View attachment 51844

I was waaay mistaken. For some reason I remembered that board having the display on it. It's been a few years. I think I have another overhead console in the attic. It might have the temp/compass board in it. No idea if it works though.

Back