1989 Plymouth Gran Fury Police Package on FB Not mine

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfmandip

Reaction score
Contact seller
Not Mine, looks like great bones. No connection to the seller.

GF1.png

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
That's from sitting outside. A bit of engine detailing will clean that up.

Camtron

Reaction score
Honestly, doesn’t get too much cleaner than this. You might find a $10k-$20k car on an auction site that’s cleaned up under the hood but, everything there on this car can be cleaned, refinished or replaced pretty easily.
Even those auction site cars can be pits. Sometimes they’re too original to be reliable without a couple grand or some days spent in the garage replacing rubber/plastic bits, ect and what not.

Then again, I’m in Chicago so, anything 38+ years old without holes in the body and frame is appealing.

LT512

Reaction score
Honestly, doesn’t get too much cleaner than this. You might find a $10k-$20k car on an auction site that’s cleaned up under the hood but, everything there on this car can be cleaned, refinished or replaced pretty easily.
Even those auction site cars can be pits. Sometimes they’re too original to be reliable without a couple grand or some days spent in the garage replacing rubber/plastic bits, ect and what not.

Then again, I’m in Chicago so, anything 38+ years old without holes in the body and frame is appealing.
Oh, I'm not knocking the man's car at all. I just am trying to learn what mistakes not to make when picking out my own. I like his car for sure. Looks great for an old patrol car!

Camtron

Reaction score
Oh, I'm not knocking the man's car at all. I just am trying to learn what mistakes not to make when picking out my own. I like his car for sure. Looks great for an old patrol car!
No worries, my only real criticism of the car is, when you’re getting into this price range, you can find, beat cars and highway patrol cars that are as nice and completely decked out with all the lights, sirens and bells and whistles. So you have a few packages of the AHB trim depending on what they were used for and where and what you’re looking for.

LT512

Reaction score
No worries, my only real criticism of the car is, when you’re getting into this price range, you can find, beat cars and highway patrol cars that are as nice and completely decked out with all the lights, sirens and bells and whistles. So you have a few packages of the AHB trim depending on what they were used for and where and what you’re looking for.
I'm kinda torn. I like the looks of the regular Gran Fury/Diplomat. I had wanted to get a police version and fix it up to be one from the 80s for my department. I am now post-retirement and not sure on doing that...thinking maybe a civilian model that can be driven anytime might be better. There are a lot of SE models out there but I just got settle on if I like the New Yorker style grille and a vinyl roof.

Camtron

Reaction score
If you find a vinyl roof that’s still laying nice and smooth, all trim intact and no rust streaking from underneath, I wouldn’t shy away from it.
The grill, I’m with you, I don’t like the, Fifth Ave clip on the, Diplomats. I think the 4 box/cross bars they used on, Dodges made it too, busy vs the plain vertical slats on the, Fifth Avenues grill.
Then again, some guys really prefer the “classic” Gran Fury/Diplomat front ends regardless. Some guys can’t get over the turn signals being over the headlights.
A member just did a full front clip swap to have the regular/classic front clip on his, Diplomat and apparently is wasn’t as straight of a swap as one would have imagined.

IMG_7048.jpeg

IMG_7049.jpeg

LT512

Reaction score
If you find a vinyl roof that’s still laying nice and smooth, all trim intact and no rust streaking from underneath, I wouldn’t shy away from it.
The grill, I’m with you, I don’t like the, Fifth Ave clip on the, Diplomats. I think the 4 box/cross bars they used on, Dodges made it too, busy vs the plain vertical slats on the, Fifth Avenues grill.
Then again, some guys really prefer the “classic” Gran Fury/Diplomat front ends regardless. Some guys can’t get over the turn signals being over the headlights.
A member just did a full front clip swap to have the regular/classic front clip on his, Diplomat and apparently is wasn’t as straight of a swap as one would have imagined.
Thanks for taking the time to reply and the pictures. I appreciate it. Yeah, the cross is rather busy and the turn signals are very LeBaron like to me. The rule of thumb on the vinyl roof is great. That's been one thing I've been concerned about was how to know good from bad. Thanks!

Camtron

Reaction score
I like a, Not so Fifth Avenue, myself, lol
Whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy. Not enough people are out there enjoying these cars.

IMG_5804.jpeg

IMG_5800.jpeg

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to reply and the pictures. I appreciate it. Yeah, the cross is rather busy and the turn signals are very LeBaron like to me. The rule of thumb on the vinyl roof is great. That's been one thing I've been concerned about was how to know good from bad. Thanks!
I dislike the Dodge Fifth avenue hybrid nose. I dislike it so much, I drove across two states to get a regular Diplomat nose. Link: Nose swaps

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
A member just did a full front clip swap to have the regular/classic front clip on his, Diplomat and apparently is wasn’t as straight of a swap as one would have imagined
I had to push the hood latch all the way down for the Diplomat nose and let's just say it's a good thing you can't see both sides of the car at the same time because the gaps are different side to side. It's almost as if the header panel is smaller than it should be

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
I think its an adjustment thing. I knew someone years ago who replaced the nose on his 5th avenue with another 5th avenue one and it had huge gaps too. So much that he wondered if the nose was aftermarket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back