360 vs 410 Frieberger on Engine Masters

jasperjacko

Reaction score
did he say 545 lift on a hydraulic cam? that seems like a lot of lift.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Heads don't need to get ported, they need to be replaced with Magnum heads. I would bet that the Magnum heads on the 360 would allow it to make more horsepower than the stroker. Torque would still be higher on the 410, but the torque on the 360 would be closer.

The cost of the 410 stroker kit would be far higher than the Magnum heads on the 360, as well.

I don't know if the cams were optimized for each engine. That is something to be considered. I do understand why they aren't, because they wanted to use the same parts for each engine for comparison purposes. My point is, that a cam that would work best for the 410 is probably a little too big for the 360.

No consideration was given to the lifespansm fuel economy, or throttle response of the engines.

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
On the Circle of the earth, Southern Man,Canada
Jasper
Well if you look at that 367 curve, notice how long and flat it is. I mean it could go on forever. That is a great curve for an automatic at the racetrack.But the thing is, something might have been holding that 367 back. Notice they didn't show any other data on their graph.
As for me, I don't have an automatic, and I've been to the track 3 times since 1971.
So I would like to see that curve back up and scoot over the top and fall down the other side as quick as it wants. To do that it would need to shed some LSA, Ima thinking about 6 degrees of LSA. This would make it quite a bit more peaky,but the specific power would go up, perfect for a 4-speed.And I think the Eddies could support a bit more lift, and of course Ima thinking SFT or roller cam. And since I have an overdrive, and a 3.09 low,and can run any rear gear at all, I'ma thinking a bit more duration too. Or maybe a lil less.
Of course that's a whole new test,lol.
And then iron heads

Last edited:

7T8 Custom

Reaction score
Of course the 410 with ported Magnum heads and the right roller cam THEN we`re talkin. Not to mention a good tuneable EFI system, Suregrip, and the right rear gearing. Nothing but smoke and tail lights.

80mirada

Reaction score
That engine needs some 190-200 cc intake ports to really unlock its potential. Aluminum Magnums are only slightly bigger than the heads that are on it. Both engines would make more HP with a properly sized single plane. On the other hand that engine would be a blast in a street car, it wouldn't need a lot of gear, it probably would like a tight converter, add a good EFI and it will get decent mileage. Both engines would be good street engines, both have very strong torque curves, but a smaller cam would make an improvement in the engines power curves.

80mirada

Reaction score
They discovered later on the 360, that the Machine shop messed up the block decks (cut them crooked) and messed up the balance job. They had it fixed, but I haven't seen the results yet.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
To save money, they don't have to be the aluminum Magnum heads, the iron Magnum heads would do just fine (either the EngineQuest ones, or uncracked stock Magnum heads). You would probably run about .5-1 point less CR, but with today's swamp water gasoline, that isn't a big deal.

According to the video, there was already $6K in the 410 stroker. Using either a good used 360, or one that you own already have, with maybe just a basic good rebuild (~$2.5K), and new complete iron Magnum heads (valves, springs, retainers, locks and guides installed, ~$1K or so), you can come very close to beating the 410 in the video, perhaps even bettering its numbers with a well chosen cam and a good tune.

kitcar Chris

Reaction score
Screenshot_20170126-214328.png

Sorry. Screen shot. A little blurry.

Monkeyed

Reaction score
The way I drive I'd want peak torque around 2k rpm so I could cruise tall gears all day, and peak HP around 4k, just because I don't like pushing the motor harder than that. But that's just me.

Back