40 years ago today ....

8T2TOP

Reaction score
Baffling,did they use 360 4bbl stuff or 318 4bbl only stuff or mix n match typical Mopar..

bbeep79

Reaction score
Baffling,did they use 360 4bbl stuff or 318 4bbl only stuff or mix n match typical Mopar..
I think it was all interchangeable with the 360. I’d have to check the service manual, but I’m sure both engines used the same Thermoquad carb.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I haven't been to Iola in eons. Maybe, just maybe, if the planets are aligned, I'll make it down there this year. It's only about 55-60 miles away so I really don't have a good excuse.

Strange how cars ordered by dealers or were special ordered in Wisconsin ended up with CA emissions. My car was special ordered by the original owner (I'm only the 2nd owner) at a Doidge dealer in Rhinelander where they lived (80 miles north of the Wausau area) somehow ended up with the tire melting (NOT) 90hp E24 CA emission S6. It's like,,,,,,,WHY? Special order in WI, built in Hamtramk MI with CA tree hugger emissions :confused:

XfbodyX

Reaction score
I wonder if it had anything to do with gov. requirements on so many tighter emissions cars built to std ratio.

I know one time I tried to order a NEW mopar only to be told if have to wait till they built more economy cars to offset emission production requirements.

Aspen500

Reaction score
That's why you see so many small sh*tbox cars that nobody wants, sitting on lots. They have to make them so they can sell vehicles that people actually want and/or need to buy, to satisfy the stupid CAFE requirements.
On my Aspen, the theory I use is, it was built late in the model year so they put in the engine they had left available. No idea if it's true, but it's a guess. Cars have been built stranger ways, and almost always the late build ones. My dad's '62 Fury was built in early July of '62 and it has odd trim, kind of like a combination of Fury and Sport Fury all on one car. It has 4 taillights plus b/u lights where a Fury should have only 2 taillights along with the b/u lights. It's got a crap load of SS trim, and die cast trim. I've never seen another one, or a picture of one, that has that same trim. He thinks they were trying to use up all the extra parts before the '63's came out. BTW, he ordered the car new and still has it.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I think it was all interchangeable with the 360. I’d have to check the service manual, but I’m sure both engines used the same Thermoquad carb.
They made three different 318 4-bbls for FMJ’s. Only one was used in AHB or A38 (police) cars. The A38/AHB used 360 heads, cam and manifolds (intake and exhaust) on a 318 block.
The other two versions (one of which is the California version) used 318 heads and the smaller (318) intake manifold ports.

The AHB/A38 was only used in limited numbers and not normally available to most people (except via used cars) – so access to parts is not as easy to many.

The other two 318 4-bbls was also used in pickups and vans (CA version and 49-state version) and they all used 318 intakes/heads (like the non-police FMJ’s used).
BudW

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I missed this (sorry). The only 318’s that came with 360 heads were for police use, that I know of.

If I could get the part number/casting number off the cylinder heads (easier said than done) or the part number/casting number off the intake (easier) – I can tell you if you have a 318 intake or a 360 intake.

This is a picture of a newer TBI intake but gives an idea on what to look for. The circle is the casting number (hard to read - 4544000). The yellow arrow is casting date (12-90).
Intake 318 TBI.jpg

There might be another number cast on it – 18436572, but not important for this example.
I would toss a candy bar to whoever correctly guesses what that number is – but not going to pay postage for that (sorry).
BudW

Aspen500

Reaction score
One of the easiest number sequences that I always remember! LOL, I can recite the firing order without hesitation but sometimes have to stop and think if someone asks my address or phone number. Will really have to think once they change my address number from '1006' to a still unknown 6-digit number next month. My brain will explode:eek:

Back