440 swap list

Miniblade

Reaction score
Anyone happen to have a comprehensive parts list for a 440 swap? For reference, this is going into my 79 Volare Coupe, power steering, no AC, vacuum-assisted brakes.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Shumacher conversion mounts and a small diameter brake booster are the main pieces you need. 440 is going to be a tight fit, but it has been done. I dud a 400 with a slightly lower deck height.

There is hardly any space between the radiator and water pump pully too. Consider going electric fans. I'm using a V6 Ford Contour fan on mine. It's a dual so there is a pocket in the center for clearance.

440 Source also sells a passenger side water pump housing inlet if your want to keep the factory radiator.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Here is a photo of my 400 based stroker right after install. It's tight. I couldn't find a set of headers that worked, so I had a set of SS shorties made. The Shumacher Tri-Y headers look and fit great, but they're 1 5/8" primary tube size, so 450 horse max.

IMG_0068.jpg

Reggie

Reaction score
Ditto to what Duke5A said. I'm doing a mockup for a 440 swap in my Gran Fury now. I'm using:
- Schumacher conversion mounts
- 971 oil pan and pickup from a 1976 Cordoba 400. The 67-73 C-Body #187 or 699 pans are said to work but you will have to drop the engine in first and bolt up the trans from underneath. I tried it with my original 1968 440 oil pan and it hit the frame.
- Schumacher headers
- K-Car Booster - Cardone 5473172 for 1987 - 1994 Sundance. Search for K-Car booster on this site for more information. The booster easily cleared my old style 1968 440 driver's side valve cover, and I was able to remove and install it with no problems. I tried a later style 1976 400 driver's side valve cover and it hit the booster.
- Big block 727
- M-Body cop car 727 torque shaft bracket - for shifter linkage
- Pre 1975 Saginaw power steering pump, pulley, brackets and bolt Kit from 440 Source
- Aluminum water pump housing - 73-Up for pass side lower hose from 440 Source
- Double Groove Pulley for cars without air conditioning but with power steering - 440 Source
- Single Groove water pump pulley for big block engines with no air conditioning - 440 Source
I'm still test fitting the 1976 Cordoba radiator and shroud. Looks like the radiator will work by slotting the mounting holes inward on each side and adding a 1/4" NPT 90 degree male to female elbow to redirect the petcock away from the k-frame.
Looks like the kickdown linkage will be a challenge. It's really tight by the firewall so I may have to go with a Lokar setup like Duke5A
Gran Fury 440 Swap - K-Car Booster Clearance.jpg
440 and 727 Bolted in Gran Fury With 971 Oil Pan, Schumacher Mounts and Schumacher Headers_Und...jpg

440 and 727 Bolted in Gran Fury With 971 Oil Pan, Schumacher Mounts and Schumacher Headers_Pas...jpg

Gran Fury 440 Swap - 971 Oil Pan and K-Frame Clearance.jpg

Gran Fury 440 Swap - Driver's Side Shumacher Header Clearance .jpg

Gran Fury 440 Swap - Aluminum WP Housing and Clutch Fan Mock Up with Radiator Clearance.jpg

Last edited:
Back