4bbl for the Imperial

83Imp

Reaction score
Finally got all of the parts together and got my Thermoquad transplant done. Surprisingly (for me) it started on the first try. I only had a slight leak in the thermostat waterneck, tightened that up and that's it. :icon_cheers:

101_4764.jpg
101_4765.jpg
101_4766.jpg
101_4767.jpg

101_4764.jpg

101_4765.jpg

101_4766.jpg

101_4767.jpg

83Imp

Reaction score
It was butchered and had an old, dirty 2bbl when I got it. Once they're 'customized' to this extent, it's not worth it in my book to put them back.

83Imp

Reaction score
Heh... Bryan's screen name is 'MyImp", my name is Brad...but thanks anyway.

So I set the timing to 0* and it starts great. Unfortunately it pings real bad all the way from tip-in to cruise. I did stab in a brand new distributor, do y'all think I need to back out the dist advance a couple turns?

What do you guys have your 318s timed to?

Thanks, Brad

Erics5th

Reaction score
Try some heavier springs in the distributer to slow down the rate of advance. Heavy cars don't really like fast advance.

My imp

Reaction score
Heh... Bryan's screen name is 'MyImp", my name is Brad...but thanks anyway.

So I set the timing to 0* and it starts great. Unfortunately it pings real bad all the way from tip-in to cruise. I did stab in a brand new distributor, do y'all think I need to back out the dist advance a couple turns?

What do you guys have your 318s timed to?

Thanks, Brad
No, My Imp's name is Larry. Feels good to have one of those plastic fantastics on there doesn't it? Nothing runs like it, nothing sounds like it, & nothing is more tunable. Just put one on my Imp as well. I have an open element air filter on mine, & when you tear into that throttle, you can hear it a block away. The day I installed it I was driving down my street about 10 P.M. & had to hit it one more time, the kid across the street was in his garage working on his car. When I parked it I went over his house & told him I put on the TQ. Yeah I know, I heard you all the down the street! The car has a full (quiet) exhaust, all he heard was the TQ at full song. Even on a small block, those carb.'s just flat out scream! Well enjoy! Larry

83Imp

Reaction score
Hah, sorry Larry.

So we have Larry (My imp), Bryan M (Bryan), and 83Imp (Brad) with Imperials. I know there's more, but we have posted a lot lately.

tim berry

Reaction score
i put a mopar performance distibutor in a 85fith ave i had and it pinged real bad i could not get it to stop so i swaped ot the distributor for a 85 truck list and that cured it .if you take the distibutor out look at the advanve springs if the dont look like the old style spring set up you can use the spring from mr gasket for gm distibutors they seem to have the bigestselection (at least when i did this ) right now i run on a e58360 32deg mech 12 vac no ping and pulls hard all the way to 5500rpm.the mechanical advance is all in at 2200rpm . hope this gives a base to work with good luck!

Last edited:

Dago Red

Reaction score
Positive/Negative

That's exactly what I want to do with mine, but I'm very intimidated that I'll screw up the wiring and never get it started.

I do have those links you sent on the conversion. I'll just take it slow.

8d5 AHB

Reaction score
Advance springs too 'loose' on the MP distributors? Kicks the advance on too early is probably the culprit

Erics5th

Reaction score
The old MP distributers had light springs in them: Found that out when I went electronic in my old 70 Fury with 383 in the late 80's. Fixed that buy using the springs that where originally in the stock points distributor. I believe now the distributer with the kit is a Mallory unit that has adjustable advance. I went HEI with my conversion in my 5th.

83Imp

Reaction score
Well, I had a nice long drive in the Imperial today. I think I have all of the bugs out of it (that I'm going to worry about) for now. I ended up leaving the vacuum advance disconnected and plugged, and except for a small amount of detonation/pinging just before the downshift at 'foot to the floor' punching it, it starts and drives very well. I'm guessing the centrifugal advance is all it needs.

For those of you who might do a 4bbl conversion on your cars, I obtained the correct 4bbl kick-down lever that attaches to the throttle lever and pivot at the rear of the motor, and ended up adjusting the linkage (at the trans lever adjuster - the only one I have) forward almost half an inch on the rod end.

My shift points before the adjustment were 1/2 @ 35 and 2/3 at around 50. Then the torque converter would immediately lock up...so, not good. With my adjustment it now shifts 1/2 @ 25 (+/-) and 2/3 @ 35 (+/-) and the lockup kicks on when it should @ 45 mph.

My imp

Reaction score
It appears you don't have the cruise hooked up. Any particular reason? Need the linkage?

83Imp

Reaction score
You are correct. I have the throttle lever adapter, just need to drill the hole in the throttle arm and install it (take-off from the 2bbl).

I do not have the cable clamp part to lock the cable. I have several clamps, just none with the correct geometry, or any that will adapt to the speedo cable clamp. Any ideas?

My imp

Reaction score
You are correct. I have the throttle lever adapter, just need to drill the hole in the throttle arm and install it (take-off from the 2bbl).

I do not have the cable clamp part to lock the cable. I have several clamps, just none with the correct geometry, or any that will adapt to the speedo cable clamp. Any ideas?
I'll take a shot of mine, I didn't have the lever, just a bunch of linkage that worked. If you see anything you need, I'll check & see if I have extras.

My imp

Reaction score
I finally downloaded the photos of my linkage in the photo gallery. See anything you need? second, I need the solenoid that mounts to the rt. frt. of the carb so I can use it with my remote start. I need that little "kick" to set the choke. Anybody have one for sale? please PM me. thanks, Larry

Back