5th Avenue Amp Gauge or Voltmeter

randomguy

Reaction score
Just a quick question. I'm think the later Chrysler 5th Avenues have a "Shunt" style Amp Gauge or does it have an actual Voltmeter? I know in 1983 Dodge trucks went to a full on volt gauge. I know that the "1st Gen" Dakotas had voltmeters as well. Was just curious on this and was wondering if the "Shunt" setup is pretty decent? Thank you in advance.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
From my 86 FSM.
It is indeed a shunt.

2015-04-25 18.10.23.jpg

2015-04-25 18.10.23.jpg

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
A voltmeter is way more useful than an amp gauge. For one, I've seen charging systems putting out 80 amps but the battery still goes dead because they may be only 11.8 volts. An ammeter would still indicate a charge (or just sit there like a stump at the center) where a voltmeter woiuld show an obvious problem. At least the shunt type ammeter doesn't have all the vehicle power running through it, like the older non shunt ones that like to get hot, melt, or worse,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,burn the car to the ground and the garage it's sitting in. They added the shunt in 1976. Added bonus is it also saves the bulkhead connector at the firewall from the dreaded melt down from full current running through it, to the ammeter and then back out again.

randomguy

Reaction score
Thank you all. So, here's a question. I'm wondering if I could send the cluster off to have it converted? I used to have a 79 Lil' Red Express truck years ago and had that converted to an voltmeter by Redline Gauge Works in California. Worked pretty good. I like keep the factory look so that's why I'm kind of asking.

Aspen500

Reaction score
You absolutely can. Red Line and a few other places as well, do conversions. I looked into it on my Aspen and they could change the ammeter to volts and duplicate the OEM look with a silkscreen. Pretty sure I talked to Red Line. I never had it done (yet), at that point in the build, the budget was dwindling and certain non essentials got put on the back burner if you know what I mean.

Back