'76 Cordoba on HMN

Justwondering

Reaction score
old yellow --
you know great minds think alike!
Just up the road in Oklahoma is a place that specializes in tempests/parts.
I'm thinking I should change my focus and let the Cordoba hunt percolate a bit.

Learning about swing axles and 'rope drive' sounds a bit more interesting right now.
Might be just the thing I need to tip the scales on acquiring a car lift.

We shall see.

JW

old yellow 78

Reaction score
JW, do you have any pics of the Tempest to post? Does it run? What is it's condition? That is quite an unusual car I would think, and I bet the people here would be interested in helping out by taking it on as a "orphan" project of sorts. :)

Justwondering

Reaction score
Thats a great idea! I'll start a new thread and post some pictures. Need to go down to the estate anyway.
I definitely need help with it.
The place up in oklahoma that had so many tempest parts appears to have shut down. Property is up for sale.

I know it has the trophy 4 engine (half of a v-8).
I've been putting murphys mystery oil in it for a few years now.

I have the key for the ignition but not the trunk.
Body is in good condition (surface rust), all chrome is there.
BUT - I haven't been able to get into the trunk to see if rats have taken up residence and killed the trunk floor.

It has the 'rope drive' with transaxle in the rear.
Manual shift.
The torque tube is crumpled at the front and disconnected from the body. Still attached at the rear.

One tire refuses to hold air and I've had it checked, so I'm assuming the wheel needs some attention.

Was parked at my grandmother's house sometime in the 70's and never moved again until I moved it 40 years later to trailer it up here.
No title. Pretty sure no one cares anymore.

I think finding the torque tube and 'rope drive' will be the biggest challenge.
I'll head down to the farm and take some pictures.
Jack it up so we can see what I have to start with and get some help making a decision on whether to fix this or use it as a parts car.

JW
(lol... looking through my pictures I have a picture of the backhoe and you can barely see the rear end of the car behind it.. too funny).

Back