'77 Aspen T-top in the junkyard

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Thanks for posting that, numbers guys like me dig any info.

One shot I wish they would of showed is the headliner since it was a premium car.

The early premiums got some of the coolest headliners and here is a pic of what this color combo might of had but in T top form.

1976-plymouth HL.jpg

kmccabe56

Reaction score
NIce headliner certainly, but I'm at least 99% sure that isn't something Chrysler built into the car. That looks like a velour seating material.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
This headliner is not common but common enough and listed in several packages.

A simple internet search shows three of these in premium volares and some of the SE Aspens got the same package in addition to chrysler literature showing illistratons of the same.

Here it is also listed in one package and is also listed in several others referring to premium packages.

XXX.JPG

DSC04211.JPG

Last edited:

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Usually cloth covered headliner back then meant cloth as opposed to vinyl or the old style ribbed kind, not looking like that. Ill wait for others to chime in but that's not something I'd ever expect to see in a volare and looks more like a 70s custom job. It says standard on premiere coupe and there's a fair number of those around but not with that headliner that I've ever seen.

Last edited:

XfbodyX

Reaction score
In this case id love to be shown im 100% wrong. Then id learn something new today. So please post pics of the molded cloth covered headliners known.

Its easy to dispute by simply posting pics of the molded covered headliners that are different.

The pic I posted and all the other headliners show (mainly this color and green as well) as cloth, they also show the same common traits of the package it came with. Low back split bench with puffy vinyl and most common the tan color. Pics from two different cars here.

But look at the package...

Vinyl buckets seats 60/40 Low back... Check
Rear Armrests with ashtray... Check
Woodgrain Dash and Glovebox and Glovebox lock... Check
Lux Steering wheel.. Check
Lux Door Trim... Check
Deluxe insulation package... Check
Cloth covered molded head liner... Check (why use a thin covered peg board in a premiere car with ones using the insulation package)?
And the other small parts of the package.

The first two pics are of different cars, same interior option.

76 Volare4.jpg

1976-plymouth-volare-premier-5.jpg

1976-plymouth-volare-premier-6.jpg

1976-plymouth-volare-premier-3.jpg

XXX.JPG

1976-plymouth HL.jpg

Last edited:

80mirada

Reaction score
I think there was a similar headliner in the high trim level Cordoba in the 70s. I remember a test drive in a loaded 78, green on green, that had a headliner like that. It always stood out in my memory since I never saw another one like it

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Usually cloth covered headliner back then meant cloth as opposed to vinyl or the old style ribbed kind, not looking like that. Ill wait for others to chime in but that's not something I'd ever expect to see in a volare and looks more like a 70s custom job. It says standard on premiere coupe and there's a fair number of those around but not with that headliner that I've ever seen.

Mikes 5th, the two this color and the two green were all early 76 made prior to Jan 1 76 in the nice one in the first pic is from a listing with no shots of the tag or door sticker but the brown like I posted and the green are alike. So who knows.

All I can suggest is people do there own research and post what they find.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
As you know it's hard to find pics of headliners because people usually skip that. Attached is what I think is the vinyl kind at least from the bad quality picture it looks perforated like vinyl ones usually are. Molded cloth looks the same but cloth covered. Just like any other car from that age on because it's molded to that shape.

If the pillowy one is stock I'd like to know more about it myself. What was it called, how long was it available etc.

1976-plymouth-volare-spirit-of-76-124-1530552996.jpg

XfbodyX

Reaction score
You keep mentioning
"looks perforated like vinyl ones usually are"

Where is the vinyl coming from? The base 76 77 are a generic cardboard. 78s are different from 76 77, are you speaking on a newer then 77?

That pic blown up looks like the std perforated cardboard/fiberboard.

Last edited:

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Here is some speculative gibberish, but if this car here didnt have the sunroof doesnt the pattern of the one above make more sense with this interior and the seat design then a common coupe pegboard?

In the meantime I will hunt for the green car pics ive got with this type headliner I posted above. This is a very uncommon interior but is oem.

I added an ad for a prem. car listing at the bottom.

8270393-1976-dodge-aspen-std.jpg

8270394-1976-dodge-aspen-std.jpg

8270395-1976-dodge-aspen-std.jpg

8270432-1976-dodge-aspen-std.jpg

Screenshot 2021-11-18 at 22-15-22 1976 Plymouth Volare, quot;Premier quot; edition, 38k origin...png

Last edited:

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Vinyl ones coming from If you look at a lot of 60s and 70s cars they have perforated vinyl. I didn't know they were cardboard in these. If that's the case imagine that with cloth glued over it and that's what cloth covered molded headliners look like.

Last edited:

old yellow 78

Reaction score
I've never seen an example of the headliner in question, but that doesn't mean it doesn't/didn't exist. Mopar, particularly in the years the F's were made, had so many weird combinations that I wonder if this may have been a rare option. If so, it was a nice one.

For example, my original '76 Volare Premere wagon had the 60/40 seats covered in a really nice woven type vinyl. I have only seen this same type of material on some other '76's as apparently it disappeared after that first year. Also, my fathers new '76 Aspen SE wagon came from the factory with power seats that had the same type woven vinyl seats, except the drivers side seatback was solid vinyl with the horizontal seams. How weird was that?

I do know that in my own, long gone, '78 Aspen SE T-top, the headliner was the perforated cardboard type. It was otherwise a fairly well optioned coupe with the vinyl buckets, console, "shag" carpeting, "wood" trim, etc. Beginning in '78, the rigid model lines of "base", "Custom", and "Premere"/"Special Edition" was relaxed, and a buyer could pick and choose which of the various individual options from different model lines they wanted. That is why I think that my modifications of my own wagon (OY) would have been quite possible with it's plain Jane base exterior, but with the upgraded "Hillcrest" plaid SE interior. With these cars, I think all sorts of strange combos were possible. Just another of many things that I find so interesting about these Mopars!

Back