78-79 VIN stmap locations

mdh157

Reaction score
does anyone know where the additional VIN locations or the hidden VIN location is on a 78-79 Aspen or Volare?

Aspen500

Reaction score
If it's the one Greg mentioned, the Super Coupe has to be a clone. VIN shows a S6 and for it to be a '79, neither of which could be a Super Coupe.

However, a partial VIN should be under the weatherstrip on the left luggage compartment rail about 10" from the rear. It will have the 6th and 7th digits (year and assy plant) code along with the sequence number. The first 2 digits will be reversed. For example, on my '79 Aspen the VIN is 9B (1979, Hamtramck) but on the trunk rail it's B9. It may also be stamped on the radiator core support but don't quote me on that. Mine was replaced about 30 years ago with a new part after a brake failure resulted in a "situation".

Referring to the '78 parts on a '79 mentioned on the other site, very common if the car was built early in the model year. Goes the other way too. My car is a '79 but was built June 12, 1979 and has a few 1980 design parts on it (like the rear cross brace and rear bumper "shocks" for example). Discovered this when '79 bumper shocks didn't fit.

Back